Francis Ford Coppola's MEGALOPOLIS

What loser is determining it "not good enough" lol
It seems like the reception is very mixed. One person is even saying:
“It’s so not good, and it was so sad watching it. Anybody who puts P&A behind it, you’re going to lose money. This is not how Coppola should end his directing career.”
To be fair, though, his previous film was Twixt so I don't think this is what's going to stain his career. :oldrazz:

I think it's a combination of it being too weird and experimental and Coppola asking too much for P&A. 100 million is an excessive amount of money for something like that. It either needs to be a commercial film or an awards winning movie and potential distributors seem to think it's neither.

What loser is determining it "not good enough" lol
The quality of the movie itself is subjective but it's been close to 30 years since Coppola made a film that was financially successful and in the years since he's basically just made movies for himself, which is fine but I can't blame studios for balking at such a big price tag for marketing when most of the general public probably won't be all that interested in this anyway.

Oh I understand all that, its still lame lol

I understand a huge chunk of Hollywood is morally bankrupt (and, hey, half the filmmakers I love signed that ****ing Polanski petition so no judgment to anyone excited for this) but I can't really get worked up about anything screwing Coppola over since learning about his extensive bankrolling of Victor Salva. He's an awful man and I have negative interest in supporting anything he does.

Um…. What???????

“The report even reveals that part of the movie "came alive" with an actor in the crowd conversing with Driver on-screen.”

How does he expect this to play in theaters this way? Was this just for the premiere? Are audiences expected to play along like ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show.’ I’m just… lost…

Is this meant to be a road show like Kevin Smith’s recent films?

Um…. What???????

“The report even reveals that part of the movie "came alive" with an actor in the crowd conversing with Driver on-screen.”

How does he expect this to play in theaters this way? Was this just for the premiere? Are audiences expected to play along like ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show.’ I’m just… lost…

Is this meant to be a road show like Kevin Smith’s recent films?

Knowing Coppola, yes. He pulled the same crap with Twixt where he wanted to edit it while on the go so each showing would be a different cut. And Twixt out to be a boring, pretentious piece of junk.

This sounds exactly like that but bigger budget and more name actors.

It has been a sad trend over the last 40+ years for Coppola. I guess when you pump out such legendary movies in a short time period, there is nowhere to go but down from there.

It has been a sad trend over the last 40+ years for Coppola. I guess when you pump out such legendary movies in a short time period, there is nowhere to go but down from there.
I would say though that even in the 90s he's made a couple of pretty good films. Since then, he hasn't done much but it was certainly a free fall.

Interesting. He previously said that he was going to find a distributor first and worry about festivals later. But I'm guessing since he hasn't yet found anyone he reversed course thinking a premiere there might actually help him in that. Let's see how that goes.

Interesting. He previously said that he was going to find a distributor first and worry about festivals later. But I'm guessing since he hasn't yet found anyone he reversed course thinking a premiere there might actually help him in that. Let's see how that goes.

I'm not sure how Cannes would help him get a major distributor. He already showed it to THE biggest distributors in the Western world (Universal, Sony, Disney, Warner, Paramount). None of them wanted to be involved with marketing & distributing this movie.

IF it gets critical acclaim, he definitely can use that as an interest for some of the bigger studios.

Whatever the outcome, he invested his own money to tell a story HE wanted to tell on a grand scale. I applaud him for that and whatever the outcome, it’s certainly more interesting than generic IP film #12 (though I do enjoy those as well when done well).

Whether this is Apocalypse Now or Heaven’s Gate, it’ll at least be talked about for sure.

I'm not sure how Cannes would help him get a major distributor. He already showed it to THE biggest distributors in the Western world (Universal, Sony, Disney, Warner, Paramount). None of them wanted to be involved with marketing & distributing this movie.
I'm not of the opinion it's going to do him much good but maybe he is. It's possible he thinks that it's going to be well received and attract some attention this way. That studios may change their minds after seeing the film's reception and they'll think that even if it's not a commercial movie, it may get awards recognition so that's good enough of an investment. He's got nothing to lose at this point anyway. From what I've read about it I don't think it's going to be a critical hit though.

worried-kermit.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"