• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Gears of War 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that strange. The last couple of years have proven that you can launch a game in the spring and be really successful with it. It's only natural that Microsoft would want to put out a heavy hitter to compete with everyone else in the spring.

No idea what their big holiday game would be though. Unless it's Mass Effect 3.

At this point i give 80% of chances for the Xbox 3 released date to be fall 2011, and the reason for not having Gears 3 as a launch title is Halo 4.

Mark my words....

It's not that strange. The last couple of years have proven that you can launch a game in the spring and be really successful with it. It's only natural that Microsoft would want to put out a heavy hitter to compete with everyone else in the spring.

Yea with Halo: Reach coming in Sept of 2010, having Gears 3 come early 2011 is a good move on their part.

Isildur´s Heir;18239989 said:
At this point i give 80% of chances for the Xbox 3 released date to be fall 2011, and the reason for not having Gears 3 as a launch title is Halo 4.

Mark my words....

With Natal dropping Fall 2010 and a possible new design for the 360 coming then or after, i doubt you are going to see the next Xbox so soon. They are going to push Natal as the next Xbox 360 experience, i doubt they'll abandon that a yr after its release. We wont even know how successful Natal is for at least a year.

While I will play it, there are some serious issues in multiplayer that really need to be fixed.

I probably put in fewer than 10 hours in GOW2's MP.

I played a ton of the first Gears, but I think I only played two or three matches of Gears 2. It just didn't grab me the same way the first one did. I imagine I'll just borrow the third one from a friend.

With Natal dropping Fall 2010 and a possible new design for the 360 coming then or after, i doubt you are going to see the next Xbox so soon. They are going to push Natal as the next Xbox 360 experience, i doubt they'll abandon that a yr after its release. We wont even know how successful Natal is for at least a year.
I might be wrong about it, but, unless they are going to start optimizing games for installation, and that is the main reason behind the all USB Storage, because MS wants everyone to have a HDD; or there will an upgraded Xbox coming out in the fall, i say that 2011 will be the begining of the next generation of home consoles (because next gen handhelds is this year).
As for Natal, why do you think that, just because MS might released a new generatiom next year, means that they will abandon it?
Project Natal is an add-on, so, it can very well be hooked to the next Xbox as well.

Gears of War 3 in April makes anyone wonder...
If the Fall is the big season for video games, why take Gears 3 out, when anyone knows that Gears 3 would sell tons on Christimas.
What does MS have in store for Fall 2011.
Halo 4....but, imo, that alone doesn´t cut it.
Besides, the Halo franchise is getting overexposed as it is, so, unless they counterbalance it with a new generation, and Halo 4 being a launch title, i see people getting sick of Halo.
Halo 4 as a launch title would be a massive hit for Microsoft, it would sell millions of the new console in a few months.
Imagine the return of Master Chief and Cortana, with graphics that would make God of War 3 be so last gen, and with the gameplay fans know and love....it would be massive.

IMO, Halo 4 as a launch title for the next Xbox is a certainty, so, the question that remains is, will MS give one-year hiatus to the Halo franchise and only release the next gen in 2012; or will it see the light of day in 2011?
So, unless MS pulls a rabbit out of it´s hat this year (no, Project Natal doesn´t cut it, unless is the best thing ever seen); they have to release the next Xbox next year.

That i can guarantee it´s not.
The big holiday game is an exclusive one, it would be pathetic otherwise.
I adore Bioware, Mass Effect is amazing, but it´s not a massive hit, so, no, Mass Effect 3 might arrive holiday 2011, but it not be the big one (or big ones, as they will be more than just one big game).

Major Nelson is at the NBC Studios. Not that there was any doubt after it was revealed on Xbox LIVE, but it seems like the game Bleszinski will announce will indeed be Gears 3 (or a 360 exclusive). Why else would he (Major Nelson) be there?

I'll in Rockefeller Cntr today at 345, before I head over to NBC and spend some time with @jimmyfallon Got any questions you want asked?

Now hanging out in the Jimmy Fallon show Green Room. Pretty glamourous right? http://twitpic.com/1f5ro6

Backstage at the Jimmy Fallon show with @therealcliffyb as he is relaxes in his dressing room http://twitpic.com/1f5w17

Me and @jimmyfallon chatting before he tapes his show. Watch for @therealcliffyb on tonight. http://twitpic.com/1f66ze

Twitter.com/MajorNelson

EDIT: Yup. It's Gears of War 3.

Stay tuned for a preview of Gears of War 3 tonight! For reals!

Tune in tonight to see more Gears of War 3 news and see some exclusive footage from GOW3. Yes? YES.

He says more, because there's a pic with a lancer replica from Gears 3 by Project Triforce.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/

Last edited:
Dom with beard = badass

Female cog soldiers = vomit

Beards make anyone at least 100% more badass.

Looks bleak and quite amazing, I'm pretty pumped. Chicks and double barreled shotguns can't go wrong. One thing about the gears games is that they have always had incredible trailers to go with them.

I like what I'm seeing it really looks like the end.

If theres one franchise i miss from Xbox. It's definatly this. Happy to see some female COG soldiers aswell. :up:

Awesome trailer.

Really excited to see how this one ends.

Some info from the Gears forums.

Features

• Rod confirmed 4 Player Co-Op in the Gears IRC, with 4 unique characters. Rod confirmed that co-op includes Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird and a "variety of other characters"
Story
  • The story is written by fantastic author Karen Traviss, who wrote the Gears of War book series
  • Set 18 months after Gears of War 2, and after the fourth Gears of War book.
  • The Locust have not been seen in the time that has passed since the end of Gears 2 and the beginning of Gears 3
  • The location shown in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer is a location nicknamed 'Char', where the remains of victims from the Hammer of Dawn strikes are heavily present.
  • Imulsion is infecting everything, not just the Locust. The Lambent are a ton of different nightmarish creatures.
Weapons
  • The Pendulum Lancer is in Gears of War 3
  • A Double Barrelled Shotgun was spotted in the Ashes to Ashes trailer. Lee Perry expands:
Lee Perry said:
FWIW, that weapon didn't exist until several hundred pages of the shotgun mechanic thread. That doesn't really give much away, considering the VAST amount of conflicting opinions in that thread; but the opinions in that thread definitely helped shape the weapon.

Haha, I wonder if we could have made a trailer with basically a slow camera pan down a new shotgun and had about the same amount of interest from existing players, hahha.
  • Cliff also confirms in the MeriStation TV interview (posted in the videos section) that the new shotgun does more damage but has a lower range and slower reload time.
Characters
  • Dom is now heavily bearded. According to Rod, this is due to his problems dealing with the loss of his wife.
  • Anya is the female COG soldier seen in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer. We will learn more on her transition from pencil pusher to soldier throughout the books.
Enemies
  • Lambent Locust: These enemies mutate and transform as you fight them.
GearsForums.EpicGames.com

I feel like it's an attempt to pander towards the female gaming crowd to get more of them to play.

CELTICPRED said:
I feel like it's an attempt to pander towards the female gaming crowd to get more of them to play.

I don't think it's so much pandering, as it is building on elements already explored in the comics and books (with some cool female characters) and that lots of fans have complained that there werent really any female gears, which makes sense. Also, it's not just a throw in female cog, it's Anya, who after being in 2 games already, deserves a little character development I think....

I think every character in Gears could use some character development. :dry:

But I don't think Anya being playable is meant to pander, having female playable characters is just something a lot of people requested after the first game.

While I will play it, there are some serious issues in multiplayer that really need to be fixed.

I probably put in fewer than 10 hours in GOW2's MP.

Yeah, I only played Horde, the other matches took way too long to load.

I am really looking forward to this, loved the first two games!

I don't see it ushering in the next X-Box though, only because Natal is being released, that's a big thing for Microsoft, they're going to back that big time. Releasing a new console a year after Natal's release would show to many people that they don't have faith in the project. Maybe E3 2011 we'll get teased with talk of a new console. With a more hands-on experience in 2012. This year's E3 is going to and should be all about showing off Natal and a new console announcement would take away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"