Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

I think what we're seeing there is just the reality that family movies, unless it's a phenomenon like the Super Mario Bros. movie, kind of have an uphill battle these days. Between the cost of going to the movies, finding a sitter, etc...a trip to the movies for a family of 4 costs a lot and has to be a carefully considered decision. Especially with so much content readily available at home. So I'm not surprised to see a movie like this show some legs on the weekends as families trickle out to see it. Especially when this has a weirdly weak marketing push.

It's the lack of robust international support for the franchise that I think is hurting it most at the box office. This would've been right behind Wonka and Puss in Boots last year as 6th highest grossing family film domestically.

We'll see but I really wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel greenlit. Again, they can more quickly recoup money by licensing it from streaming since Sony doesn't have a streaming service. A movie like this is also filled with product placements/cross promotions which probably pads things a bit too. I just think this is more of a "let's see what lessons we can learn moving forward" situation vs. "shut the whole thing down and forget it ever happened".

It's looking like it will at least match Afterlife internationally, it's just domestic where it's coming up shorter.

I think a sequel could happen with a lower budget if Reitman pushes for it as he seems to have a bit of pull at Sony.

Hope it does well on digital. WW it will probably end up around the same as the first movie. But with this FE having a higher budget Sony probably wants a bit more in the coffers.

Really hope we get another movie. And Reitman needs to be in the director chair next time.

Off the bat I won't be surprised if they close the door on the franchise after Frozen Empire underperformed. However, it's Sony and they've made far crazier decisions so if they're desperately hurting for franchises I could also see them doing one more to round out a trilogy for the Spengler family and Rudd with at least a few of the OG cast in tow, preferably directed by Jason Reitman. Also hypothetically if another one were to happen, my suggestion would be to get an A-lister or someone interesting to play the villain. If they think outside the box a bit they could give us a villain better than Gozer.

Off the bat I won't be surprised if they close the door on the franchise after Frozen Empire underperformed. However, it's Sony and they've made far crazier decisions so if they're desperately hurting for franchises I could also see them doing one more to round out a trilogy for the Spengler family and Rudd with at least a few of the OG cast in tow, preferably directed by Jason Reitman. Also hypothetically if another one were to happen, my suggestion would be to get an A-lister or someone interesting to play the villain. If they think outside the box a bit they could give us a villain better than Gozer.
I don't know, they've built an entire company named Ghost Corps.
Frozen Empire wasn't an outright disaster. I think they're gonna try one more sequel.

If they do, they gotta lower the budget. Maybe by as much as half.

I just saw this and it wasn't very good.

I think Sony kinda have outdone themselves by releasing 3 movies for Ghostbusters under 8 to 9 years, especially this isn't really a lucrative brand to begin with (box office wise). But its also been 3 films that range from okay to meh, which makes me wonder how long Sony will commit to releasing Ghostbusters movies when they aren't very good and interesting. Frozen Empire was just a snow ball of meh. They have a large amount of cast members that didn't really do a lot except do the "Ghostbuster" pose. The actor from Eternals had a terrible role. And the "Frozen" villain was nothing to write about.

Terrible movie.

I really didn't like this unfortunately. It seemed like they wanted to make a family/kids movie, but at the same time also something that's close to the original. I just don't get what they were going for. Phoebe is basically the lead, which doesn't work for me. Ghostbusters was never about kids. But if you want to make a "teen Ghostbusters" movie, then just do that all the way.

Also I knew the story wasn't going to be great when the guy just happened to bring Ray the evil artifact... I was getting Wonder Woman 1984 vibes... And I don't know why Finn's character and his friend(?) Lucky were in this movie. They're just there... It's all just a huge step down from Afterlife, the movie doesn't have that same charm. Even seeing the old cast back again couldn't save this for me.

If they do end up making a third one, I would say keep Paul Rudd and Carrie Coon, get rid of the kids.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"