• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Going to attempt to grab an issue or two...Advice needed...

ragingdemon155

Superhero
Reaction score
So been getting a bit of an itch for some comics lately. It’s been about 8 years or so since I regularly collected.

ANy advice on what to pick up and where should I start ?

What’s currently going on in the Spider verse ? Peter and Mj together right now or not? Has all that Mephisto stuff finally been put to rest ?

Is Spider-Man even worth picking up at this point ?

Thanks.

Okay, right place to ask, man.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, for me, anyways, is where it's at! It's been great. Art AND story are incredible, in my opinion.

Amazing Spider-Man is great-good, right now. The first arc of Spencer/Ottley's run is available in trade form, and I recommend that one highly. Very fun and light, but it's beautiful.

Spider-Man Life Story is a mini series I'm enjoying, but it's pretty divisive. It puts Spider-Man aging throughout the decades oh his history. He's a teen in the 60's, and he's a 20 something guy in the 70's, so he'll be in his 30's in the next issue....so on and so forth. Really interesting telling of Peter's history.

As for where continuity is, Peter and MJ are together, but not married. The first issue to the new Amazing Spider-Man references pre-OMD continuity, and they reference the marriage's absence in some tongue-in-cheek ways. FNSM#5 even has Peter and Dr. Strange make a joke about how making deals with inter-dimensional demons is always a horrible idea.

Also, there is the Symbiote Spider-Man mini out right now, that takes place when Peter had the Venom symbiote. Pretty cool first issue.

Hope all that helps!

Okay, right place to ask, man.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, for me, anyways, is where it's at! It's been great. Art AND story are incredible, in my opinion.

Amazing Spider-Man is great-good, right now. The first arc of Spencer/Ottley's run is available in trade form, and I recommend that one highly. Very fun and light, but it's beautiful.

Spider-Man Life Story is a mini series I'm enjoying, but it's pretty divisive. It puts Spider-Man aging throughout the decades oh his history. He's a teen in the 60's, and he's a 20 something guy in the 70's, so he'll be in his 30's in the next issue....so on and so forth. Really interesting telling of Peter's history.

As for where continuity is, Peter and MJ are together, but not married. The first issue to the new Amazing Spider-Man references pre-OMD continuity, and they reference the marriage's absence in some tongue-in-cheek ways. FNSM#5 even has Peter and Dr. Strange make a joke about how making deals with inter-dimensional demons is always a horrible idea.

Also, there is the Symbiote Spider-Man mini out right now, that takes place when Peter had the Venom symbiote. Pretty cool first issue.

Hope all that helps!

Ha so weird ...I was literally about to send you a PM asking you about what to collect but you responded to the thread before I sent it. It’s like you read my mind ..witch powers ftw.

Lol anyway thanks for the response. I think I’ll hit up ASM and FNSM to play it safe. So Peter and MJ are together now? Hmmm big selling point for me so that’s good to hear. They’re aware of everything that’s happened right ?

Ha so weird ...I was literally about to send you a PM asking you about what to collect but you responded to the thread before I sent it. It’s like you read my mind ..witch powers ftw.

Lol anyway thanks for the response. I think I’ll hit up ASM and FNSM to play it safe. So Peter and MJ are together now? Hmmm big selling point for me so that’s good to hear. They’re aware of everything that’s happened right ?

No...they are not. Honestly, it looks like they are doing some strong course correcting from the past decade. Lizard is now back to Curt Conners being Curt Conners...not the monster who ate his son alive (yes, that was an actual storyline), and they've repair the damage that was done with Black Cat over the past 3 years, and made her a strong supporting character, also. On top of that, they are doing a lot with Mary Jane, and they are actually writing her pretty well. There seems to be something brewing in the background, but I don't want to spoil it. There's some weird Centi-demon like guy...his deal may prove interesting.

Also, I forgot to mention it, but Miles Morales Spider-man is pretty solid. I pick that one up for my son, and he and I both like it a lot. With Bendis over at DC, it's now being written by a new team, and I think that has benefited the title greatly. Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider is pretty good I guess, as I pick that up for my little girl, and she won't let me read them. She reads them and puts them up. I just get to purchase them.

The current/newest run of Spectacular Spider-Man was damned great even though it was during sports run. You will not be disappointed.

The current/newest run of Spectacular Spider-Man was damned great even though it was during sports run. You will not be disappointed.

Chip Zdarsky's last issue (#310, I think) was incredible, and worth the price of admission alone. Best Spider-man comic in the past several years, easily!

Ok so I’m going to pick on a back issue or two or renew your vows. I’ve heard some good things about it. I’m assuming I’m really far behind with that as well as everything.

Grabbing ASM SSM and FNSM as well.

Is now a good jumping on point for these titles or am I looking at doing some back tracking with them ?

You'll need some back issues with the latest Spectacular. From #1 on.

Ended up picking up the hunted series in ASM. FNSM 2-5. Couldn’t find issue #1 so was a bit confused at times .Also picked up symbiote Spider-Man .

FNSM was great. Love the characterization of Spider-Man and the art was on point. This felt like the character I grew up on and I can definitely see myself sticking with this title .

Symbiote Spider-Man - let down.

Haven’t touched the ASM issues yet

Ok so I’m going to pick on a back issue or two or renew your vows. I’ve heard some good things about it. I’m assuming I’m really far behind with that as well as everything.

Grabbing ASM SSM and FNSM as well.

Is now a good jumping on point for these titles or am I looking at doing some back tracking with them ?

Oh crap...you haven't read "Renew Your Vows"?!?! Get the first trade, then! It's got the BEST Spidey/Venom fight in forever! Also, the series when it starts up proper, is great. FNSM is PERFECT to jump onto right now. They just wrapped up the first arc, and it's only on issue 5 or 6, anyways. SSM is over, so there's nothing to jump onto right now. ASM is in the middle of a big story that is dragging a little bit right now, but it's worth picking up the first issue or two, or at least the tie-ins, and forming an opinion on that. The first few Amazing Spider-man arcs were great, though.

Ended up picking up the hunted series in ASM. FNSM 2-5. Couldn’t find issue #1 so was a bit confused at times .Also picked up symbiote Spider-Man .

FNSM was great. Love the characterization of Spider-Man and the art was on point. This felt like the character I grew up on and I can definitely see myself sticking with this title .

Symbiote Spider-Man - let down.

Haven’t touched the ASM issues yet
Saw this after I posted my response. DURP!

Symbiote Spider-Man was okay for me, but I want it a to be a little deeper than that. I haven't really been interested in going back and re-reading it, and that doesn't bode too well.

Yeah, FNSM is the real deal, though.

How long was chips run on ssm? Considering getting that because I’ve heard such great things about it. Wondering if I can just scoop up the entire run in a trade or two

Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (most recent one) to issue 6, then it went back to the original numbering for issue 297 to issue 310, which was his last issue. Then last 2 issues of it were Spider-Geddon tie-ins written by someone else.

I suggest buying a graphic novel, the current comic book series will be confusing for new readers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"