BvS GOTHAM CITY Design.

Bigjxxx

Civilian
Reaction score
Since the Batsuit and the Batmobile have been discussed, I wonder how Gotham would look like and compare it to Superman's home town.

My vision I hope for Gotham is to move away from the Nolan-style Chicago as a back drop. Give us a Gotham that is more Brick than glass similar to Dark City, Dark Deco, with a Bloodshot Red skyline.

i am hoping more like this
Watchmen%2BThe%2BEnd%2Bis%2BNigh3.jpg

Gotham1989mattPainting.jpg

^ that would be perfect for Gotham.

I just hope it all doesn't look like one generic city. I want a noticeable difference between Metropolis and Gotham.

For the skyline I want to see a mixture of immense gothic art deco buildings like the comic's Wayne Tower mixed with sprawling ultra modern dark skyskrapers.

The streetscape should look like a mix of Detroit and 1980's New York. Dirty, dangerous but also bustling and alive.

The layout and geography should be like the comics except maybe without all the rivers flowing through. I think one river would suffice.

th

I loved how Gotham looked unique and unlike any real life city in Begins.

Then in Rises it was just New York. Disappointing IMO.

I loved Burton's and (gasp!) even Schumacher's Gotham (the giant statues were cool okay?). BTAS Gotham and Arkham games Gotham were awesome as well. Almost anything is better than Nolan's Gotham. The Narrows were cool, but that was the last time he tried to make Gotham look like Gotham.

Make this place look like a fictional city. But don't go too overboard. I think Snyder will strike a good balance between Gotham looking fantastical and realistic at the same time. Arkham City/Origins is a pretty good model for this actually.

I loved Burton's and (gasp!) even Schumacher's Gotham (the giant statues were cool okay?). BTAS Gotham and Arkham games Gotham were awesome as well. Almost anything is better than Nolan's Gotham. The Narrows were cool, but that was the last time he tried to make Gotham look like Gotham.

Make this place look like a fictional city. But don't go too overboard. I think Snyder will strike a good balance between Gotham looking fantastical and realistic at the same time. Arkham City/Origins is a pretty good model for this actually.

The giant statues were really cool, but realistically that city would have been a friggin logistical nightmare for traffic and transport. :funny:

It's like the city planner was a five year old who was really good at designing a city specifically for Superhero car chases and showdowns.

Something between Watchmen and Sin City would be nice. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of those movies.

253.png

223624_html_m600d228b.jpg

Element of Crime and City of Lost Children have probably the best dark city atmosphere of any films IMO.

But I agree Watchmen and Sin City were great.

Prepare for the Vancouver skyline..

Metropolis (Smallville), Starling City (Arrow), Central City (Flash), & Gotham all = Vancouver!

(Watchmen was filmed in Vancouver, but the city was a set. I used to drive by it all the time.)

It is refreshing to have a TV show filmed out of Vancouver.

I always thought they should use Melbourne Australia for Gotham at some point. It's just like an American city except it's not in America.

The laneways, alleys graffiti and gothic architecture all scream Gotham.
1-Melbourne+(50).jpg

Crime Alley?
1456806_10151718747056607_756322724_n.jpg

It's even got a decent skyline to start with before beefing up with CGI and is almost constantly overcast.

melbourne-skyline.jpg

Element of Crime and City of Lost Children have probably the best dark city atmosphere of any films IMO.

But I agree Watchmen and Sin City were great.
You mention cities with great "dark city" atmospheres and don't mention "Dark City"!?

Really though. Everyone should see Dark City. It's awesome.

You mention cities with great "dark city" atmospheres and don't mention "Dark City"!?

Really though. Everyone should see Dark City. It's awesome.

LOL I almost added (no pun intended) to my original post after I read it.

Dark City is indeed a great film.

Dark City would be good if they were going for a period Batman.. but modern Batman?

I always thought they should use Melbourne Australia for Gotham at some point. It's just like an American city except it's not in America.

The laneways, alleys graffiti and gothic architecture all scream Gotham.
1-Melbourne+(50).jpg

Crime Alley?
1456806_10151718747056607_756322724_n.jpg

It's even got a decent skyline to start with before beefing up with CGI and is almost constantly overcast.

melbourne-skyline.jpg

I live in Melbourne and it's nothing like Gotham. Perish that thought.

Dark City would be good if they were going for a period Batman.. but modern Batman?

I live in Melbourne and it's nothing like Gotham. Perish that thought.

Not in terms of crime no. But as a location to use it'd be cool. It's a really interesting American style city and street level.

So basically, Nolan made Gotham look like New York and Snyder made New York look like Gotham. Kind of says much about both of them.

Anyway, I just hope Snyder just as much love into Gotham's design as he did with Krypton or Watchmen's New York. I was disappointed with his Metropolis in MoS, especially considering how great a guy with his vision could have made it look.

So basically, Nolan made Gotham look like New York and Snyder made New York look like Gotham. Kind of says much about both of them.

Anyway, I just hope Snyder just as much love into Gotham's design as he did with Krypton or Watchmen's New York. I was disappointed with his Metropolis in MoS, especially considering how great a guy with his vision could have made it look.
Awesome first post, and i agree with everything you're saying :up:

Welcome friend

Awesome first post, and i agree with everything you're saying :up:

Welcome friend

Thanks! I actually just joined because I was reading this topic and that realization came to me, haha.

I definitely hope we get the classic art deco/gothic look in some way. A modernized version like the Arkham universe Gotham would be perfect.

batman-arkham-origins-new-gotham-city-concept-art.jpg

20130410-175112.jpg

Not as surreal as Burton or TAS, but with just enough of that timeless Gotham look. Decay and stagnation should be the themes there, representing the tired and weary Batman. Metropolis should in the same way ooze advancement and progress to represent Superman's rising heroism.

Last edited:
^ That is exactly what I want to see. So much more interesting.

I think some gothic influences and griminess are a must. It just sets a mood.

Last edited:
Thanks! I actually just joined because I was reading this topic and that realization came to me, haha.

I definitely hope we get the classic art deco/gothic look in some way. A modernized version like the Arkham universe Gotham would be perfect.

batman-arkham-origins-new-gotham-city-concept-art.jpg

20130410-175112.jpg

Not as surreal as Burton or TAS, but with just enough of that timeless Gotham look.

I love this.

They are filming in Detroit and there is a lot of decaying rundown areas in the city that could double for ghetto areas of Gotham.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"