• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Batman Begins Chica...er...Gotham City

da3dl3us

Wandering Samurai
Reaction score
I get this weird feeling every time I watch BB. I guess since I live in the Windy City, it's hard for me to separate the idea that they're portraying Gotham, not Chicago. Which is pretty cool in that sense, since I can look at the skyline from my room.

But I kinda thought of Metropolis as that nice big city. I thought of Gotham like a Detroit (no offense to the Mo-town folks!). A city with potential, but become now a mere shadow of its former self.

Clearly Burton's Gotham was pretty fantasy like, but I'm thinking something along the lines of the way Detroit was portrayed in the "The Crow'. Really scary town, where good people used to live, and overwrought with crime and depravity. A city that look like it had to be saved by a Dark Knight. Honestly, when I read "Year One", that's the way Gotham looked like to me, not like Chicago.

well, not to start another "opinion" war here, I think it all had to do with Nolans vision and direction. He wanted to base this Batman in a more "reality based" landscape. He chose Chicago. I just dont feel Gotham when I watch Begins. The only part I remotely liked was The Narrows, but it still didnt "transport" me.

Thats one thing I can say about the past movies. They created a Gotham City in which you could believe these characters existed.

I don't get that feeling because I've never been to Chicago, and barely have clue on what it looks like. But I've always thought Gotham to be sorta like a fictional city in New York. Anyway, I really liked the Gotham here, and as much as we saw of it, I'd have liked to see more(hopefully we'll get more in the sequels)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"