BvS "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

I was down with this idea at first, but now my interest has kinda died down. I'd prefer this show be set right after Batman has come to Gotham, and before him and Jim become partners. The GCPD could handle the smalltime villains and there would only ever be quick glimpses of Batman

My thoughts exactly - a cop show based in a Gotham that Batman is active in would be cool - something like Gotham Central.
But an absolute must is that the programme will name check Batman directly none of this veiled reference 'blur' or 'hood' crap! Also feature main Bat villains, from gangsters like Falcone to heavy hitters like the Joker... Harvey Dent as the DA could be a pivotal character too.

If i was the brains behind the show i would place it at a point in the continuity when Batman was absent from Gotham for a good long while, like No Man's Land for example.

Have a text or a prologue synopsis of No Man's Land and somehow explain that lack of the batfamily although i wouldn't mind character's like Cassandra Cain appearing or Oracle or Red Hood. But i guess they wan't a full cop show.

Seems like a general concensus on this show at this point is a fear that the prequel part of it will emulate Smallville more than Arrow, and we'll get stupid plots drug out past their expiration date unless there's at least some future Bat-activity in the show.

Am I right?

I mean, I could see smart writers and show runners hitting gold for probably about two or three seasons with just the old school and banal rogues gallery as the main fodder for episodes, but I do see a definite weakness if they can't then expand the story to include the Bat. Arrow has already showcased that a hero mostly formed is infinitely more interesting than watching someone slowly crawl towards each superpower, costume and relationship.

The way I see it, if Arrow and Flash prove that a separate TV continuity is a viable and imminently profitable business plan while the movies work as well, than the show will probably eventually expand its role from prequel to Year One/Zero Year. Because let's be honest, if Season one or Two ended with Gordon's butt being saved by some mysterious bat shaped vigilante, you'd tune in just to see that five minutes of screen time alone.

I do think that The Roman, the Maroni's, Thorne, Zsasz, and the Red Hood Gang would be well worth watching on a weekly basis for some time, especially if Gordon has to deal with Flass and Loeb at the same time. But at some point, we'd have to see the dawn of the freaks and Gordon become Commisioner.

If they were connected, I think it would be cool if season one (Fall 2014 to Spring 2015) ended with Gordon finally meeting Batman (not quite on-screen), a build up to his appearance in the summer 2015 movie.

Then starting in season two (Fall 2015) we get a year-one Batman on TV with an actor around age 30.

I wouldnt mind if they just saved Batfleck for the Justice League, forgoing solo movies (how many movies would Affleck do anyways?), and instead gave us the Batman stories on TV (for the 8-10 years before he meets Superman).

There's definitely more than enough material, it would be a change of pace from the Nolan films due to the episodic nature, they could use more long-term storytelling, the smaller budget would put the emphasis on detective stories, and it can all be pulled off without VFX. They would have already made the top-notch suit for the movies anyways.

Last edited:
I think that there is a potential to tell story of Bruce Wayne before he became Batman in a series form, his training in detective skills, martial arts which can be explored in the series.

Plus the early years of James Gordon in Gotham City. Origin of Joker, origins of Arkham.

Last edited:
We've seen it all many times before. ...more recently in AO :hehe:

I'm really interested in seeing Gordon struggle, hopelessly, in Gotham.

I'm also hoping for original villains being created. Not necessarily like Batman villains, themed and stuff, but somehow dubbed by the police and media, giving things the familiarity.

Say for example, we have a villain who kidnaps children in a specific way, he's dubbed "The Child Catcher" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

A villain based on Jack the Ripper, he's called, Ripper.

A villain based on John George Haigh; "Acid". Things like that.

I think the only villains off-limits should be Joker, Catwoman, and Two-Face. Since Batman is absolutely necessary in their creation. However, I think Harvey Dent should definitely be a supporting character. I'm sure Oswald Cobblepot will be an antagonist. I think there could be a lot of story potential in Detective Edward Nashton too.

I think that there is a potential to tell story of Bruce Wayne before he became Batman in a series form, his training in detective skills, martial arts which can be explored in the series.

Plus the early years of James Gordon in Gotham City. Origin of Joker, origins of Arkham.

That won't happen. The most generally accepted version of Joker's origin directly involves Batman, since Batman won't be there, then they won't be having Joker taking a bath in chemicals, and they won't be showing any part of his background, DC will want to keep all that unknown and mysterious.

I'd rather see it played like Arrow. Make it a Year One story with frequent flashbacks to Bruce training. Except... make it less linear with the training flashbacks. If there's one problem I have with Arrow, it's that the "island" stuff could be cut together into a cohesive linear story all on its own and that just leads to there being two separate linear continuity threads.

Or, if you want the focus on Gotham PD and Gordon, play it more like Gotham Central. Have Batman exist in the world, but not be a character on the show. Either idea as a show would be great... but just following Bruce in his training without any chance of actually having Batman would be bad and having Gordon struggling against the likes of Maroni and Falcone with no chance of the Bat would be depressing.

Gotham will likely be the first Batman live-action series since Adam West.

Gotham will likely be the first Batman live-action series since Adam West.

But without Batman. :woot:

I must say I am intrigued by this and Constantine being in development. Though it won't be the Hellblazer version.

I used to make fun of Batman's city by calling it Got-Ham City:woot:

No more so than coming into a thread to tell everyone that you have no interest in the thread's subject.

I used to make fun of Batman's city by calling it Got-Ham City:woot:

It looks like they might be using that joke in this movie, during the football game. There's a set pic that shows a banner that says just that.

No more so than coming into a thread to tell everyone that you have no interest in the thread's subject.

How is that condescending? :funny: I wasn't aware that this thread was only for those who were 100% enthusiastic about the series. God forbid I pop in to share my thoughts on a public forum.

When did I use the word condescending?

I was using the "Those haven't gotten old" as the jumping off point.

You know... considering that it was the last sentence.

That makes even less sense, because in my experience, that doesn't happen all that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"