• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Green Lantern Script Review

Showtime

Your Friend In Time
Reaction score
I am too lazy to look for an "official thread", but if I find it I will merge it.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5319&Itemid=99

A few cameos include a certain mild mannered reporter from the Daily Planet, a certain college football coach with the last name of Gardner (who we are promised in the script we will see more of in the second film) and loads of other characters sure to keep fanboys orgasmic throughout.

Back to the script - The story follows the traditional Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story lines to a certain degree including the battle between Legion and Abin Sur, Abin Sur's crash landing on Earth, as well as the choosing of Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner and Clark Kent.

Parts are straight out of the Emerald Dawn series including Jordan's simulator being ripped out of the training center and flown to a dying Abin Sur and Hal Jordan going to Oa to help defeat Legion.

The major difference is in the Sinestro character arch. I don't want to give too much away but the writers were very careful to stay true to the character without blowing their load on the first film.

The other difference is also introducing Hector Hammond into the story line and making him the big threat to Earth or Gaia if you prefer.

From the first major beat of the story - that is sure to bring a tear - to the revelations at the end of the movie that easily set up prequels as well as sequels this script has it all. Also, unlike other recent superhero movies, this Green Lantern story has science fiction elements such as visiting other planets and major space battles.

It's a quick read and is a mere 109 pages but is action packed from the beginning to end. It has the potential to be bigger than Iron Man or maybe even The Dark Knight.

I didn't even know a Green Lantern film was being considered? Especially with Hal Jordan?

Great stuff though.

Like I said before... this is a project that Greg Berlanti isn't capable of directing. He may have written a kickass script and that alone is enough to get him some props and respect so I suggest he stops there. Miller directing has its good and bad points. I will only approve if he doesn't try connecting it to his failed JLA project.

I think Ridley Scott should take this project.

Thanks, Showtime.

I wonder why they chose Legion as the big bad. Who is he?

JL:

Wasn't it Ridley Scott who said sci-fi in film is dead?

I think they should let Joss Whedon or Luc Besson direct GL.

Edit: In the JL forum there was an article explaining that George Miller was pulled from that film and may end up on GL. He'd be a perfect director for this.

Awesome. I love all of it. Here's hoping Brandon Routh makes that cameo as Clark.

Sounds good i do really hope GL can get off the ground i would love to see some good quality dc films finally happen. And as Berlanti was it ever really confirmed he was going to be the director because pretty much all articles/things i seen on the film's development is he is only listed as producer of the film and only been rumored to be director too.

Awesome. I love all of it. Here's hoping Brandon Routh makes that cameo as Clark.

Agreed, and this sounds like it would be loads of fun.

Sounds good i do really hope GL can get off the ground i would love to see some good quality dc films finally happen. And as Berlanti was it ever really confirmed he was going to be the director because pretty much all articles/things i seen on the film's development is he is only listed as producer of the film and only been rumored to be director too.

Yeah it had been confirmed in Variety that he was/is going to direct. Guess we'll hear more news now on GL, Miller, JLA, and Berlanti :)

Well who knows its probably still a long ways from happening and maybe he decides he doesnt want to direct and just producer/cowrite the project and wb hires someone else as a director. I have nothing against him being director i know he only a writer and a producer and i liked some of the stuff he has been a producer on so i am willing to give him a chance. Hopefully he can be on the ball and not fumble it.

Sounds cool. A little under 2 hours? As long as the characterization is good then I hope that's enough. Cameos? I guess they are borrowing somethings.

Well it could turn out to be 2hrs or more maybe some scenes will be long and thats way its seems to be a shorter script.

Sounds amazing. And If Miller did direct this I'd be in fanboy heaven.

Was this the script that was being written by those four comic book writers.?

Miller sounds like a much better candidate to direct the GL film than he is with JL. I pray that the script the studio is thrilled with will make us fans thrilled when (and if) we see the final product.

I said this before both this gl and that green arrow prison film are shaping up to be good films and i hope wb will do them.

I cant wait! I really hope this turns out to be an amazing movie. I have been waiting to see a Green Lantern movie forever. Hal Jordan!

This sounds great. It seems the WB got things in gear and are starting to make the right decisions. It's a shame to hear that Justice League is effectively dead, but hearing that this might be better than The Dark Knight makes it worth the stall on that end.

WB seriously needs to dump the JL plan and roll with this GL movie. It sounds like Berlanti and his buddies wrote a great script, but like many I'm not so sure about him as director, especially since the only movie he has helmed is "The Broken Hearts Club." That and his schedule is already too busy with the ABC shows he runs. If he did direct it wouldn't be a problem if they just start it up already!

I'd honestly prefer they look at a different director to get a fresher perspective. But it sounds decent at least. I hope they go through with it and they do something sort of ballsy like casting Routh as Clark Kent cameo. This really sounds like the better idea right now.

Because of Superman's up in the air status, I would be very suprised if Warners allowed the the cameo to make the final cut (or even be filmed).

Because of Superman's up in the air status, I would be very suprised if Warners allowed the the cameo to make the final cut (or even be filmed).

I wouldn't see it as a problem at all. Who knows, maybe the writers penned the cameo with Routh's Kent in mind. *shrug*

Either the writers are being idealistic, or the cameo's their attempt at a soft reboot. Either way, it'll probably never be filmed.

Huh. Kinda apprehensive about Jordan (just never liked the character), but hopefully it's good. :up:

Green Lantern is definitely my favorite superhero, so this is great news. I didn't know Greg Berlanti was working on the script, but Guggenheim was pretty good on his flash run, so maybe he'll have written a good GL script. But really, I don't see Berlanti directing a Green Lantern movie, where did that decision come from? Here's hoping Nathan Fillion is Hal Jordan, and that Kilowog is amazing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"