Guardians of the Galaxy Casting Thread

Seriously. I know people want these academy award winners but if the role doesn't require much, I'm not casting Anthony Hopkins as The Juggernaut.

Agreed. The Rock and Vin Diesel have exactly what it takes to deliver Drax, and personally I'd like to see either one of them in the role.

Agreed. The Rock and Vin Diesel have exactly what it takes to deliver Drax, and personally I'd like to see either one of them in the role.

Again, we aren't casting "best actors we can think up" we're casting best for the role. And both fit the bill. I think Diesel has sort of a dry monotone that works for Drax better than The Rock's more charismatic take. I never saw Drax as a very personality filled guy.

Again, we aren't casting "best actors we can think up" we're casting best for the role. And both fit the bill. I think Diesel has sort of a dry monotone that works for Drax better than The Rock's more charismatic take. I never saw Drax as a very personality filled guy.

No doubt either one of them would do a great job as Drax.
But again, the problem is that Vin and Duane are top-ticket draws, and Drax is a supporting character. Neither Vin or The Rock are going to take roles where they're not The Main Guy. Nor are Marvel willing to pay top dollar for an actor in a part that only has a few lines.

But again, the problem is that Vin and Duane are top-ticket draws, and Drax is a supporting character. Neither Vin or The Rock are going to take roles where they're not The Main Guy. Nor are Marvel willing to pay top dollar for an actor in a part that only has a few lines.

Very true.

I could see Vin taking Drax honestly. I would imagine Drax will be a large character and will probably have a connection to Thanos.

He do you think the draw is for Guardians? I would say at worst 2nd draw. Yes RR will be a crows pleaser and Star-Lord has the leader role, but Drax has the most history to tell. Drax and Thanos have a long history and with Thanos possibly as the villain I could see Drax getting top billing especially with Johnson.

He do you think the draw is for Guardians? I would say at worst 2nd draw. Yes RR will be a crows pleaser and Star-Lord has the leader role, but Drax has the most history to tell. Drax and Thanos have a long history and with Thanos possibly as the villain I could see Drax getting top billing especially with Johnson.

Drax and Thanos don't actually have a history. Thanos killed him at random to cover his landing on Earth. Drax was resurrected by Thanos's dad and exists to destroy him.

Basically, to Drax, Thanos is everything, but to Thanos, Drax is 1 of billions of people he's killed, and more of a thorn in the side than someone of actual importance.

Now, Gamora, his adopted daughter, is another story...

Drax and Thanos don't actually have a history. Thanos killed him at random to cover his landing on Earth. Drax was resurrected by Thanos's dad and exists to destroy him.

Basically, to Drax, Thanos is everything, but to Thanos, Drax is 1 of billions of people he's killed, and more of a thorn in the side than someone of actual importance.

Now, Gamora, his adopted daughter, is another story...

Exactly.

But to Neo3: you *do* have a point that the Guardians aren't necessarily the true draw. When it's all said and done, I think the REAL draw will be Thanos, and I'm sure that Thanos is the main reason this movie is getting made.

I just hope the Guardians don't get jobbed hard in their own film to make Thanos look good for the Avengers.

Doesn't take a lot to be bald, mean, muscular, and gruff. Sorry but the Rock and Vin Diesel didn't invent that nor are they the only ones that can play it. There are a number of guys that could play Drax and do it fairly well probably.

While this is true for the most part a person can't just act more muscular and taller. Appearance is a pretty big part of it and not many stars out there have that look even if they can play the role just fine. In that respect it's a lot easier to cast someone like Star-lord than it is to cast Drax. If anyone knows any brilliant 6'4 muscular actors out there then they're free to throw em in here. Hell, I'll probably say "Holy crap! Of Course! Him!". In the meantime we're just throwing out well known actors who immediately come to mind.

While this is true for the most part a person can't just act more muscular and taller. Appearance is a pretty big part of it and not many stars out there have that look even if they can play the role just fine. In that respect it's a lot easier to cast someone like Star-lord than it is to cast Drax. If anyone knows any brilliant 6'4 muscular actors out there then they're free to throw em in here. Hell, I'll probably say "Holy crap! Of Course! Him!". In the meantime we're just throwing out well known actors who immediately come to mind.

Joe Manganiello

no Tom Hardy for Draxx? not even on my list but i figured someone would have mentioned him by now. Vin Diesel is almost too easy. but id almost be surprised if he didnt campaign for the role. that guys a true fan of comics and games and stuff like that. really like how race isnt an issue. and i really have no clue who should play Draxx. wouldnt mind the Rock but i doubt hed be interested. sure Marvel will come up with someone awesome. they damn near always do

The Drax from Annihilation was basically a very similar version of Riddick, with some obvious changes, thats why I think Diesel would be perfect for it if that is the Drax they are going for.

Drax has had many incarnations but the more modern one seem to be the most popular. And again, I think Vin is perfect for him, more so than The Rock for me.

As for the rest:

Star-Lord: Nathan Fillion (bit obvious I know)
Groots voice: James Purefoy
Rocket Racoon's voice: Ray Winstone
Gamora: Jessica Biel (Not the best actress, but she is naturally athletic so could pull off the action, she can play cold-hearted as well)

Last edited:
Josh Holloway as Star-Lord

starlord.png

Vinnie Jones as Rocket Raccoon

rocketraccon.png

Olivia Wilde as Gamora

gamora.png

Jason Momoa as Drax the Destroyer

drax.png

Affif Ben Badra as Groot

groot.png

We've already been over this. Momoa can't be Drax. he's too young. Drax needs to be at least 40.

If he really needs to be 40, I'm sure they could age Momoa up a bit when putting on the rest of the make-up.

If he really needs to be 40, I'm sure they could age Momoa up a bit when putting on the rest of the make-up.

Fair enough. Though my current pick for Moondragon is only 4 months younger than Momoa.

Drax is kind of one of the leads

Those are some very good choices. Also I know just about nothing about Manganielo.

We've already been over this. Momoa can't be Drax. he's too young. Drax needs to be at least 40.

The actor who plays him when he's human needs to be old, but a young actor can portray Drax, given that he gets a whole new body when he becomes Drax.

The actor who plays him when he's human needs to be old, but a young actor can portray Drax, given that he gets a whole new body when he becomes Drax.

Exactly...you beat me to it. It's not like you can tell his age in the comics or anything.

I'm not sure if they need an actor for Groot or even his voice, they might just be able to get it done without and just use stunt/tech people. He only has the one line :awesome:

Hopefully they won't go that route. He used to say more than that.

Who's to say Moondragon will even be in the films? I'd rather see Warlock and Mantis and Vance first

no Tom Hardy for Draxx? not even on my list but i figured someone would have mentioned him by now. Vin Diesel is almost too easy. but id almost be surprised if he didnt campaign for the role. that guys a true fan of comics and games and stuff like that. really like how race isnt an issue. and i really have no clue who should play Draxx. wouldnt mind the Rock but i doubt hed be interested. sure Marvel will come up with someone awesome. they damn near always do

Hardy would have been my first choice, but given that he's Bane and soon to be Mad Max, I highly doubt we'll be seeing him in another superhero/sci-fi hero role for a while. He'd be perfect though; the guy plays an awesome killing machine and looks uber-badass with a bald head.

That's why I picked his co-star from Warrior, Joel Edgerton. He's also pretty jacked and can play a convincing badass. I haven't seen him display as much of an edge as Hardy has, but he's certainly a good actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"