Gwen Stacy and the Love Triangle of Doom

TrueBeliever said:
They really have to separate MJ's "girl next door" character from Gwen's "girl next door" image in this movie. And I do NOT want to see any of the Ultimate stuff in there. I love the series but Gwen's character was wronged on so many levels...

Eh, i disagree. They separated Gwen from MJ by having her come across as more of a hard a$$, i kinda liked that change. I didnt really want to see another carbon-copy MJ in USM. I wasnt crazy about Carnage killing her, UNLESS they have Carnage reappear in a much more personal way. IE: Kassady bonds with the symbiote and comes after Peter, oh, better still....MJ!!!!

As for the whole love triangle in SM3, i dont care who it involves.

TheSlag said:
IF you believe that the Gwen Stacy death story arc is one of (if not the) greatest story arcs in Spider-Man history. It's about the death of the only girl he (Peter) has ever loved. It's about the one he loves the dearest paying the ultimate price for his great responsibility. It's about the fact that despite all his powers, he could not save her. It's about the Goblin Legacy, and that is MORE than simply the enemy being a friend's father, or the friend himself. It's about the guilt that comes with the fact that the one you loved more than ANY OTHER in life... paid the ultimate price. It's about shaping who and what Spider-Man is.... IT IS... the most defining story arc in Spider-Man history (IMO). BAR NONE... including Uncle Ben's death even (burn me at the stake if you must. ;) :D )

First and foremost....I do believe the Death Of Gwen Stacy was and still is the greatest Spidey arc in the history of the character...... Could MJ take Gwen's place as the true love that dies in the movie?......sure......would it make for a great piece of cinema?.....won't be a dry eye in the joint.......

.....But it still doesn't answer the question "Why Gwen Stacy at this point?"......the only thing that could possibly come from her appearance now is a bastardization of a Spidey character that would make Doc Ock's adaption look seamless! .....that's my real beef here.....

.....oh and yes I'll be one of those with the not so dry eye:up:

WhatIfTales said:
First and foremost....I do believe the Death Of Gwen Stacy was and still is the greatest Spidey arc in the history of the character...... Could MJ take Gwen's place as the true love that dies in the movie?......sure......would it make for a great piece of cinema?.....won't be a dry eye in the joint.......

.....But it still doesn't answer the question "Why Gwen Stacy at this point?"......the only thing that could possibly come from her appearance now is a bastardization of a Spidey character that would make Doc Ock's adaption look seamless! .....that's my real beef here.....

.....oh and yes I'll be one of those with the not so dry eye:up:

And why wouldn't Gwen take the role that MJ (comic MJ) filled in ASM? Since movie MJ is basically equivalent to comic Gwen as we both have admitted???

TheSlag said:
And why wouldn't Gwen take the role that MJ (comic MJ) filled in ASM? Since movie MJ is basically equivalent to comic Gwen as we both have admitted???

And why not simply call her Debra?...or Sally?....why does Pete's new love interest have to be a "Gwen Stacy" that bears no, none, zero, zilch, nada, resemblance to source material Gwen?...

....oh and mark my words....if Raimi throws this Gwen off the bridge?....he's going next!!:thing: :up: :)

WhatIfTales said:
And why not simply call her Debra?...or Sally?....why does Pete's new love interest have to be a "Gwen Stacy" that bears no, none, zero, zilch, nada, resemblance to source material Gwen?...

....oh and mark my words....if Raimi throws this Gwen off the bridge?....he's going next!!:thing: :up: :)

1) Why not? Tip of the hat to the fans?

2) Why not? Great character. Adds the dynamics of the father (the Captain) to the storylines.

3) Why not? Since movie MJ is basically the equivalent of comic Gwen, WHY NOT have movie Gwen be the equivalent of comic MJ?

4) Why not? Zero, zilch, nada??? Blonde hair. Gwen Stacy is name. Father is Captain Stacy. And I doubt they will make Gwen like comic MJ (footloose and fancy free... but they might). There are similiarities there, and it brings more to the storyline, especially with Capt Stacy than some Jane Doe (Choco Cake) ;) character girl being thrown in.

TheSlag said:
1) Why not? Tip of the hat to the fans?

2) Why not? Great character. Adds the dynamics of the father (the Captain) to the storylines.

3) Why not? Since movie MJ is basically the equivalent of comic Gwen, WHY NOT have movie Gwen be the equivalent of comic MJ?

4) Why not? Zero, zilch, nada??? Blonde hair. Gwen Stacy is name. Father is Captain Stacy. And I doubt they will make Gwen like comic MJ (footloose and fancy free... but they might). There are similiarities there, and it brings more to the storyline, especially with Capt Stacy than some Jane Doe (Choco Cake) ;) character girl being thrown in.

1/ I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you at this point :).....I'd rather a far more faithful rendition of Gwen than a simple "hey we're thinking about you Spidey fans" gesture....

2/ Gwen "is" a great character in the comics....a shame we aint getting that character in the movie

3/ With that argument I could turn around and say "Raimi screwed up MJ's character, might as well @#$% em all up!! :)

4/ There are also similarities between the broad that screams in the office in SM2 and Gwen Stacy...doesn't make her Gwen Stacy

Slag I admit it...I'm biased not to mention a touch hypocritical....not once did I ***** about the changes made to Doc Ock's character nor the ineffectiveness of the Betty Brant character or any other serious deviation from source material.....I'm a Gwen mark....and I want her done right...(ASM 121-122):up: ....or not at all :down

WhatIfTales said:
1/ I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you at this point :).....I'd rather a far more faithful rendition of Gwen than a simple "hey we're thinking about you Spidey fans" gesture....

2/ Gwen "is" a great character in the comics....a shame we aint getting that character in the movie

3/ With that argument I could turn around and say "Raimi screwed up MJ's character, might as well @#$% em all up!! :)

4/ There are also similarities between the broad that screams in the office in SM2 and Gwen Stacy...doesn't make her Gwen Stacy

Slag I admit it...I'm biased not to mention a touch hypocritical....not once did I ***** about the changes made to Doc Ock's character nor the ineffectiveness of the Betty Brant character or any other serious deviation from source material.....I'm a Gwen mark....and I want her done right...(ASM 121-122):up: ....or not at all :down

I understand, but I'm working with what we have now. You know... reality. Not "pie in the sky". ;) I wish they had done it right from the start also... but you work with what you've got.

I just realized I spelled his name wrong. :eek: And me a reporter and all. :(

A) Peter Loves MJ
B) MJ Loves Peter
C) Maybe they can switch things around & by day have Eddie Brock be a Reporter & by night he can be taking Acting Classes with MJ & he can be Best Friends & Child Hood Friends with Gwen (NOTHING romantic with Gwen & Eddie once so ever)
D) Slowly but surely MJ & Eddie get close
E) As time goes by Peter & Gwen get close
F) Eddie gets jealous because Peter has MJ & he thinks there might be something going on with Peter & Gwen & Eddie is also jealous of Peter because he is the only one that can get the Spider-Man Pictures for the Newspaper that they both work for
G) Throughout the Movie we see Eddie Brock get even more mad at Peter because Peter has MJ that Eddie wants & he is also worried that Peter may be having some kind of affair with Gwen & he thinks Peter is out to get MJ & him

Something like this will give Eddie even more reasons to be ticked at Peter & Eddie can be over protective of both MJ & Gwen & when Eddie confronts MJ about him thinking Gwen & Peter are having an affair because Peters barely around with MJ (because Peters Spider-Man duh) MJ eventually looses interest in Eddie thinking Eddie is just jealous etc & Eddie turns out wrong about both the Gwen & MJ thing & now he thinks Peter has made Eddie looked like a Jack Ass towards Two People Eddie cares about & the hatred & jealousy Eddie has towards Peter gets even worse throughout the Movie. I say start Eddie Brock out as this nice decent Guy who at first cares for the Peoplet hat cares about him etc & for the reasons I listed above thats plenty for him to get mad at both Peter & Spider-Man

Wow. Great discussion Slag and WhatIfTales. :up:

Here's my thought on the Gwen/MJ switcheroo that we MAY be getting: I personally think it presents a wonderful "What If" for us fans to analyze. What if MJ was the one who died, and Gwen lived on? ASM 121-122 has its place in comic book history, but why not reverse it in film lore? Just a thought.

TheSlag said:
I understand, but I'm working with what we have now. You know... reality. Not "pie in the sky". ;) I wish they had done it right from the start also... but you work with what you've got.

Reality sucks :(....be right back....gotta go growl at Betty Brant :thing:

cmill216 said:
Wow. Great discussion Slag and WhatIfTales. :up:
Here's my thought on the Gwen/MJ switcheroo that we MAY be getting: I personally think it presents a wonderful "What If" for us fans to analyze. What if MJ was the one who died, and Gwen lived on? ASM 121-122 has its place in comic book history, but why not reverse it in film lore? Just a thought.
I often find myself splitting up in at least two different opinions.
Of course I'm all for variety and stuff but where's the 'honouring the source material' in that little idea?
I still can’t see the logic behind these random decisions those people are throwing at us.
To make such changes justifiable there should be a pretty damn good movie and, without Spidey’s theme, the two current films are mediocre at best.

Spider-X-Treme said:
I often find myself splitting up in at least two different opinions.
Of course I'm all for variety and stuff but where's the 'honouring the source material' in that little idea?
I still can’t see the logic behind these random decisions those people are throwing at us.
To make such changes justifiable there should be a pretty damn good movie and, without Spidey’s theme, the two current films are mediocre at best.

Perhaps because it IS the story, the girl that Peter thinks he will only ever loved is killed by the Goblin, because he knows Peter's secret, and is trying to get to Peter through those that he loves...

The story and characters are there, just the names have been changed. Movie MJ = Comic Gwen. Movie Harry/GG2 = Comic Norman/GG1. Moive Gwen = Comic MJ.

What for, if they could've done it correctly from the start?
The original story is all there, so here's an infantile question - why not use it?

Spider-X-Treme said:
What for, if they could've done it correctly from the start?
The original story is all there, so here's an infantile question - why not use it?

Sheesh man... try reading the thread how about. We're working with what we have, NOT what could of been.

Bump. Anybody got anything to add regarding Gwen and the "love triangle"?

Maybe theyll just have Gwen as Eddie's girlfriend,to provide a parallel to MJ and Pete's relationship.It makes sense if Venom will be the "evil Spider-man".

I think it would be stupid to break up Peter and MJ now. They just got together. I say Harry/Gwen/Eddie

I still can't understand what the hey Gwen stacy's doing in this. Give us black cat if you're planning on doing a love triangle thing.

Anyone who's read Spider-Man Blue will agree that we MUST MUST MUST see the Peter/Gwen/MJ triangle on screen.

Damnn, that was a great spider-man story

I don't trust Raimi and co. with this love triangle, but as much as I don't it seems like the most logical approach.

I'd ditch the triangle considering we had them in the previous 2 films and focus on how MJ comes to terms with Peter's Job and whether she can really except it like she thought she we be able too. I'd keep Gwen out , though i'm sure Bryce Howard will put in a good performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"