The love triangle of the movie... may not be who you think.

Karea07

Superhero
Reaction score
I'm sure that everyone is pretty set on the love triangle being between Gwen, MJ and Peter... but here's what Kirsten confirmed in an MTV MOVIES interview:

Dunst says Spidey's all about love

With the planned evildoings of Venom, Sandman and the Green Goblin, it would seem Peter Parker has his hands full in next summer's "Spider-Man 3." But while series veteran Kirsten Dunst promised plenty of baddies in the next flick, she said the film puts just as much emphasis on the darker side of romance. "We do have a lot more villains in this one, but when it comes down to it, the 'Spider-Man' story is the love triangle between me, Peter [and] Harry," said Dunst, who prefers the tender acting moments of the franchise to the breathtaking stunts. "I think that's always been the thread of all of the 'Spider-Man' films, and in terms of that, because we are older, the relationships have gotten more complicated [in the next film]. I think it's going to be a darker turn for Peter Parker as he deals with these relationships and how that comes out into his life, how being a superhero is affecting him in a dark way." Dunst also said she's part of the flick's ongoing reshoots, for which she's spent most of her time in front of a blue screen. "You could do blue screen until you are blue in the face," she laughed. ...

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1542377/10042006/story.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

So MJ is a dirty ****e and not Peter...hmmmm.

Well I already told you guys, there are clips of Harry trying to romance MJ in the movie.

I think that's the cause of Peter going to his lair and tossing a pumpkin bomb at him and then Harry being taken away in a stretcher.

Also possibly the cause of MJ laying down in what I think is Peter or her apartment looking in somewhat distress. Peter is there seeing her because he saw her with Harry and is confronting her about it.

Well we can't have MJ only showing an interest in ONE guy for a movie. That would ruin the whole man hopping image they've established for her.

One man is never enough for this gal.

Three love triangles, eh(Eddie, Gwen, Peter) (Peter, Gwen, Mary Jane) (Mary Jane, Harry, Peter)? Raimi has a helluva a lot plot elements on his plate(Symbiote, Venom's origin, Sandman's origin, Harry's revenge, Eddie's jealousy on Peter/Spider-Man, Multiple battles, etc...). I have enough faith in Raimi, though, to believe that he can pull all of this off.:cwink:

Oh, I thought the love triangle was going to involve Sandman, Night Surfer, and Venom.

Actually, the love triangle is about the movie's promotion:

Action/romance/comic-book integrity

=$$$

Doc Ock said:
Well we can't have MJ only showing an interest in ONE guy for a movie. That would ruin the whole man hopping image they've established for her.

One man is never enough for this gal.
Here you go again.

There's a difference because Peter is now in a position where he acts more vengeful and violent. And he's doing . . . *something* (dancing at least) with another woman.

And what happens with Harry is a result of that. Harry is going to attempt to take advantage of Peter and MJ's situation, and the rocky tension they are having because of what's happening to Peter.

It's not like the comics never took similar angles with Harry/MJ/Peter.

TheVileOne said:
Here you go again.

And here you go again, defending EVERY single thing in these movies. So cest la vie. Not all of us think they're perfect.

There's a difference because Peter is now in a position where he acts more vengeful and violent. And he's doing . . . *something* (dancing at least) with another woman.

*GASP*

Dancing with another chick?? Well if that's not cause to get with another bloke then I don't know what is.

And what happens with Harry is a result of that. Harry is going to attempt to take advantage of Peter and MJ's situation, and the rocky tension they are having because of what's happening to Peter.

And you know all this how??

She's going thru a bad patch with Peter, so she goes and tries to get it on with another guy??

Let me guess, they are on a break :oldrazz:

It's such a boring angle to take too. Been here done that with the whole Peter/MJ/Harry thing in SM-1. They should have moved on from it by now. MJ showed practically no interest in Harry even when she was dating him in SM-1. All MJ's used for in these movies is switching between guys, and getting captured.

It's not like the comics never took similar angles with Harry/MJ/Peter.

I never recall MJ trying to hook up with other guys when she was with Peter. No matter what bad patches they were going thru.

Doc Ock said:
And here you go again, defending EVERY single thing in these movies. So cest la vie. Not all of us think they're perfect.

It's not about perfection. It's about you and this notion of Mary Jane being a ****.

*GASP*

Dancing with another chick?? Well if that's not cause to get with another bloke then I don't know what is.

There could be more going on you don't know. But obviously there is some romantic/sexual tension with Peter and Gwen Stacy.

And you know all this how??

It's called logic and common sense. I see Peter's struggle in this as the ultimate test of Peter and Mary Jane's relationship and if they can survive it. Judging from what I've seen, it would be foolish to assume that Peter's behavior caused by the symbiote is NOT going to cause problems between them and possibly create some sort of rift.

She's going thru a bad patch with Peter, so she goes and tries to get it on with another guy??

Let me guess, they are on a break :oldrazz:

There's no getting it on with another guy. Another false notion you are subscribing to.

It's such a boring angle to take too. Been here done that with the whole Peter/MJ/Harry thing in SM-1. They should have moved on from it by now. MJ showed practically no interest in Harry even when she was dating him in SM-1. All MJ's used for in these movies is switching between guys, and getting captured.

It was there in the comics. And now that Harry has this power, and there's some tension between Peter and MJ, of course he's going to seize that opportunity with her. In the second movie, he still hadn't let go of Peter "taking MJ" from him. So she's still an object of desire. And now he feels he has a way to pursue it.

I never recall MJ trying to hook up with other guys when she was with Peter. No matter what bad patches they were going thru.

Peter was away somewhere (I think in Europe) and she actually went on a date with another guy, and they actually kiss, before she rejected him. Still, it happened.

TheVileOne said:
It's not about perfection. It's about you and this notion of Mary Jane being a ****.

Who called her a ****?? If she slept with them all then yes, she'd be a ****. No, she's a man hopper. A shallow girl who just has to have a bloke on her arm.

There could be more going on you don't know. But obviously there is some romantic/sexual tension with Peter and Gwen Stacy.

And MJ's solution to Peter's dramatic change in personality is to get romantic with Harry??

But then, as I said, that is consistent with the MJ of the movies.

It's called logic and common sense. I see Peter's struggle in this as the ultimate test of Peter and Mary Jane's relationship and if they can survive it. Judging from what I've seen, it would be foolish to assume that Peter's behavior caused by the symbiote is NOT going to cause problems between them and possibly create some sort of rift.

Of course the symbiote is going to cause problems. Its how the characters handle them that is the problem here. Well, in MJ's case anyway.

Peter's mind is being warped by the symbiote, so he can be excused. We don't know what way Raimi has Gwen's character in this. Maybe she has no problem hitting on guys who are already spoken for. So I can't say anything against her........yet.

But MJ, she's having troubles with Peter, so she goes and get's romatic with his best friend and her former boyfriend, whom she never even liked romantically??

She's as shallow as a puddle in the Sahara.

There's no getting it on with another guy. Another false notion you are subscribing to.

Yeah, I bet she was just lovingly stroking his face in the trailer just to see if he shaved this morning :oldrazz:

It was there in the comics.

Where?? When was there a love triangle between Peter, MJ, and Harry?? MJ broke up with Harry while Peter was still dating Gwen.

Peter was away somewhere (I think in Europe) and she actually went on a date with another guy, and they actually kiss, before she rejected him. Still, it happened.

What comic was this in??

You people are strange, it's like you're talking about each other's family member. Brace yourselves folks...this is fiction.:dry:

TheVileOne said:

This actually did happen, I have the comic somewhere but can be assed to look for it. This was when spidey was found washed up ashore somewhere, battered. I think it was in London. Anyway, MJ went out with some guy and they were either in a cab or in carriage and she kissed the guy.

karea07 said:
I'm sure that everyone is pretty set on the love triangle being between Gwen, MJ and Peter... but here's what Kirsten confirmed in an MTV MOVIES interview:

Dunst says Spidey's all about love

With the planned evildoings of Venom, Sandman and the Green Goblin, it would seem Peter Parker has his hands full in next summer's "Spider-Man 3." But while series veteran Kirsten Dunst promised plenty of baddies in the next flick, she said the film puts just as much emphasis on the darker side of romance. "We do have a lot more villains in this one, but when it comes down to it, the 'Spider-Man' story is the love triangle between me, Peter [and] Harry," said Dunst, who prefers the tender acting moments of the franchise to the breathtaking stunts. "I think that's always been the thread of all of the 'Spider-Man' films, and in terms of that, because we are older, the relationships have gotten more complicated [in the next film]. I think it's going to be a darker turn for Peter Parker as he deals with these relationships and how that comes out into his life, how being a superhero is affecting him in a dark way." Dunst also said she's part of the flick's ongoing reshoots, for which she's spent most of her time in front of a blue screen. "You could do blue screen until you are blue in the face," she laughed. ...

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1542377/10042006/story.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

From the teaser, thats the impression i got (well, that there was A triangle there.. not that it was the only one)- i think it would be cool to see spidey snap at harry and have that be the reason he becomes green goblin II

Hey I've been all about the Harry/Peter/MJ love triangle since the first film and am eagerly awaiting both the drama of confrontation and the happy resolution of Peter and Harry running together through a field of wild flowers.

Drago said:
From the teaser, thats the impression i got (well, that there was A triangle there.. not that it was the only one)- i think it would be cool to see spidey snap at harry and have that be the reason he becomes green goblin II
it could have been the bomb that peter threw at harry turned him into the gg2.

Nope.

Harry is already going after Peter before the symbiote comes in.

TheVileOne said:
Nope.

Harry is already going after Peter before the symbiote comes in.
yeah, its because harry wants to kill peter for killing his father, good action sequance.

Every character in this film has something to potentially lose. That will make every thing interesting.

What comic was this in??

It was around 1990/91 around Amazing Spider-Man 368ish and Spectacular 168. Peter came to London to track down two lame and long forgotten mutated assasins called knight and fog who killed the Kingpins assistant. Anyway MJ was lonely and got freindly with a smarmy guy from the entertainment industry and it didn't lead to anything more than a kiss, Parker was in London surrounded by probably, no definately, the worst English stereotypes in the history of print, from bowler hatted gents to red busses and I kid you not a taxi driver that when spidey asked him where scotland yard police station was he offered to take the web slinger there for "a few bob". Spidey then got to the yard and was told by a Detective that resembled Sherlock Holmes(he even had a pipe) that he should go to Liverpool to where they live (yeah cos Englands only got two city's that America knows, well done Beatles). Peter got there the same day, with no explanation, I assumed he web slinged up the M1(that a freeway to our statesiders). No sooner did he arrived then he ran on into the evil duo and was knocked off a bridge into the mersey (cos the Americans only know two english rivers, thanks again Beatles). Hitting his head on the way down. In the meantime back in New York MJ awakes knowing that something bad has just happened to peter and therefore realising that she loves pete. (this really happened in a spider-man comic and not an episode of Dynasty). Pete was rescued by a small boat and he had amnaesia. Now I was ten when I read this and even I was thinking "ARE THEY SERIUOUS?!". And in the next issue he got his memory back, kicked the bad guys arses (they died by accident), he returned to NY( they didn't mention how, I assume he webslinged across the Atlantic) and rekindled his love with MJ. Ahhh
Now if they are out of ideas for Spider-Man 4...... maybe not.

Reda

What comic was this in??

It was around 1990/91 around Amazing Spider-Man 368ish and Spectacular 168. Peter came to London to track down two lame and long forgotten mutated assasins called knight and fog who killed the Kingpins assistant. Anyway MJ was lonely and got freindly with a smarmy guy from the entertainment industry and it didn't lead to anything more than a kiss, Parker was in London surrounded by probably, no definately, the worst English stereotypes in the history of print, from bowler hatted gents to red busses and I kid you not a taxi driver that when spidey asked him where scotland yard police station was he offered to take the web slinger there for "a few bob". Spidey then got to the yard and was told by a Detective that resembled Sherlock Holmes(he even had a pipe) that he should go to Liverpool to where they live (yeah cos Englands only got two city's that America knows, well done Beatles). Peter got there the same day, with no explanation, I assumed he web slinged up the M1(that a freeway to our statesiders). No sooner did he arrived then he ran on into the evil duo and was knocked off a bridge into the mersey (cos the Americans only know two english rivers, thanks again Beatles). Hitting his head on the way down. In the meantime back in New York MJ awakes knowing that something bad has just happened to peter and therefore realising that she loves pete. (this really happened in a spider-man comic and not an episode of Dynasty). Pete was rescued by a small boat and he had amnaesia. Now I was ten when I read this and even I was thinking "ARE THEY SERIUOUS?!". And in the next issue he got his memory back, kicked the bad guys arses (they died by accident), he returned to NY( they didn't mention how, I assume he webslinged across the Atlantic) and rekindled his love with MJ. Ahhh

Reda

What comic was this in??

Reda

I really gather Gwen is not that large of a character in this and that she is more of a "possibility" for Peter and a plot device for Eddie.

I also don't think Harry and MJ have any real romance in this. But Harry does try and romance her but she doesn't listen but he is doing this only to **** with Peter's head abouth ow he'll get MJ back after he kills Peter and the whole thing is a mind **** with Peter but after he gets the symbiote he'll just go ape**** on Harry instead though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"