Has the MCU peaked?

I think it has peaked but not because they can't go bigger. I really don't like the direction they are going. Phase 4 has been straight ass and don't get me started on the Disney plus shows. The only thing I'm looking forward to in this phase is Moon Knight and Blade and Blade is on the back end. I really don't understand why they are sitting on F4, Silver Surfer and Wolverine. ESPECIALLY Wolverine. They need their new "Tony Stark" but I digress. Silver Surfer makes so much sense with Eternals and Guardians of the Galaxy but yet not a peep out of the property. Just not really feeling this phase and the way it is going so I guess it has peaked.

I think it has peaked but not because they can't go bigger. I really don't like the direction they are going. Phase 4 has been straight ass and don't get me started on the Disney plus shows. The only thing I'm looking forward to in this phase is Moon Knight and Blade and Blade is on the back end. I really don't understand why they are sitting on F4, Silver Surfer and Wolverine. ESPECIALLY Wolverine. They need their new "Tony Stark" but I digress. Silver Surfer makes so much sense with Eternals and Guardians of the Galaxy but yet not a peep out of the property. Just not really feeling this phase and the way it is going so I guess it has peaked.

I think they're setting the table. I'd rather wait and have a great intro and a good FF movie rather than rush it in.

Let the dough rise before you put it in the oven (I can't believe I just said that. LOL).

I think they're setting the table. I'd rather wait and have a great intro and a good FF movie rather than rush it in.

Let the dough rise before you put it in the oven (I can't believe I just said that. LOL).
Yeah but if you put the turkey in the oven to long, it may burn. It's best to introduce new ingredients while it is still hot rather than letting it get warm and possibly cold............which as crazy as it sounds, it maybe heading that way.

Yeah but if you put the turkey in the oven to long, it may burn. It's best to introduce new ingredients while it is still hot rather than letting it get warm and possibly cold............which as crazy as it sounds, it maybe heading that way.
And it's just as hard for me to believe you just said that. :funny:

star-wars-yoda.gif

It's Thanksgiving. Had to make something that people can relate to.
blink-blinking.gif

I want them to keep investing in unknown properties, but I also don't want them to sit on major IPs, but also don't want them to rush anything. It's mixed feelings for me.

The thing is, I remember Feige saying he always had plan Bs to introduce this or that character in case they get the rights back. And that was before the Spider Man deal.

The Fox deal was announced in 2017, and although the deal was only fully done in 2019, they had a year and a half to at least think about how to put this plan in motion. Now it doesn't look like we're getting X-Men before 2025.

But that's not even what worries me. The thing is, the MCU reached a point where we're not getting sequels every 2 years. So they'll introduce 6, maybe 8 characters in 2025. Then we'll only see someone like Rogue, Kitty or Gambit in a sequel in 2028/29? What about time travelers like Cable or Bishop? What about spin offs like New Mutants or X-Force? When we'll see that?

I don't know... I just think there could be a better balance in this case to fast track a little bit (just a little bit) the introduction of mutants and their universe, so we don't have to wait until 2035 to see Cable in action, or X-23, or Emma joining the X-Men, etc...

I think they had time to "set the table" since the deal was first announced...

I want them to keep investing in unknown properties, but I also don't want them to sit on major IPs, but also don't want them to rush anything. It's mixed feelings for me.

The thing is, I remember Feige saying he always had plan Bs to introduce this or that character in case they get the rights back. And that was before the Spider Man deal.

The Fox deal was announced in 2017, and although the deal was only fully done in 2019, they had a year and a half to at least think about how to put this plan in motion. Now it doesn't look like we're getting X-Men before 2025.

But that's not even what worries me. The thing is, the MCU reached a point where we're not getting sequels every 2 years. So they'll introduce 6, maybe 8 characters in 2025. Then we'll only see someone like Rogue, Kitty or Gambit in a sequel in 2028/29? What about time travelers like Cable or Bishop? What about spin offs like New Mutants or X-Force? When we'll see that?

I don't know... I just think there could be a better balance in this case to fast track a little bit (just a little bit) the introduction of mutants and their universe, so we don't have to wait until 2035 to see Cable in action, or X-23, or Emma joining the X-Men, etc...

I think they had time to "set the table" since the deal was first announced...
I think it was wishful thinking until he actually had them. Now he has them and probably doesn't know how but I'm thinking the multiverse may play a part. Unless Galactus and Silver Surfer are on the really far end of the universe, I don't know how they can explain him not being present when the snap happened............

Too early to tell. I think I'll have a better idea how I feel after No Way Home.

It's funny because in my opinion the MCU has been a bit same-y for a while and is actually starting to open up and get more interesting in the current phase. I'm more invested now than I was during Phase 2 and early Phase 3. I think the Disney+ series really help in that regard.

I really like at least the first part of this take. I definitely agree the MCU has been very "same-y" for quite some time - at least since the "Disney-Marvel formula" sort of locked in place mid-Phase 2. Maybe that's why 4 of my 5 favorite MCU films are from Phase 1.

As for the future, that is where I disagree. I do like them moving in different directions and trying some different things, and think there could be a lot of potential in there. I am not familiar with most of the newer characters, so hopefully, something newer will stick for me. Unfortunately, so far I think the Phase 4 has been mostly poorly executed, and I don't have a lot of faith that I will find much to latch onto. It feels a lot like a rebuild on the cheap (less experienced or creative directors and writers, and less expensive actors for example).

As for the MCU peaking, I think it peaked financially with Endgame, narratively with Infinity War, and creatively with GOTG 1.

To be honest...my hype and enthusiasm was not the same as it was after 2019.
The long 2020 year passed without any content and then this year...out of all MCU contents I see so far, though they are not by any means bad but I felt and left quite empty. No more feeling thrilled with what happens next in this universe as I did feel before.

Maybe this is what most of people called by being burned out. I really do feel that perhaps I am being burned out by MCU at the moment. (its hard to believe it as I am a big Marvel fan).
I think one of big reasons why is there are so many contents now (with movies and Disney Plus show alike) that MCU feels like it is not as eventful and exclusive like it was before. Recently, I am more exciting to do or watch other things than watch the newest MCU movies or show. I still havent watch Eternals, What If, Loki, and Hawkeye (again it is hard to believe myself also for saying that but its true).

I believe until they introduce F4 and X-Men and also Dr.Doom, thats when my interest will pick up again.

So...bottom line...to say "has MCU peaked?"
To me at least, it kinda has.

Last edited:
I think this question will only be answered once the X-Men are introduced lol

I think it's ridiculous to think this question even can have an answer (in a general sense, whether something has peaked for one person in particular is different) for as long as the MCU exists. No one can know the future, and things that get less popular can come back bigger than before. Objections about how inconceivable someone thinks it is that anything could ever top IW/EG are meaningless since ten years ago IW/EG would have been considered inconceivable.

I don't think so. They could introduce X-Men to the MCU and lead up to an Avengers vs X-Men event. There are also villains on a similar scale to Thanos, such as Galactus. However, as long as the villain poses a threat to Earth, I don't think they necessarily need to be as powerful as Thanos. Particularly since as you mentioned, many vital heroes are gone now. The Avengers are less powerful and many less experienced than in the previous films, so it is still a challenge to take on less powerful villains.

I can see why they aren't introducing the Wolverine, the Fantastic Four, the Silver Surfer and the merry mutants yet.

Like yes, they could have started phase 4 with films for those ips, instead of a Black widow prequel, origin films for Shang-Chi and Eternals. But after you introduced the Mutants and the fantastic Four, they would have already introduced all of their big IPs. I guess there's still Daredevil, the Punisher and Ghost Rider, but those weren't super popular in previous movies and shows.

Blade however, I don't see him as essential. For me, he was just someone that managed to get films pre-McU. So I don't know why anyone would paint him as a Marvel Superstar. He isn't yet.

Anyway, Shang-Chi, Black widow prequel and Eternals are already released. Deadpool, Blade and Fantastic Four are neXt in line getting a mcu film. While 2022 and half of 2023 are sequels for well known ips, so i don't see the problem. We would have seen those films sooner anyway, if it wasn't for Covid.

My concern at this point in the MCU is that it will start to suffer from the same problem comics have, where there isn't an easy entry point. The MCU is approaching 30 films and have a handful of TV series at this point. There are a lot of people that haven't seen many or all of these films. DC and Marvel have to restart comic series every few years, to create entry points for new readers. I don't know if this can work as well in the MCU. I don't want to see them start with a clean slate like the comics do.

For now I think introducing new characters (such as Shang-Chi) or someone taking up existing mantles, such as Falcon being Captain America and maybe Miles Morales being Spider-Man in the future, is one way to let in new viewers. I'm sure Shang-Chi will connect to other films, and the new viewers that film created will be able to easily join from that point forward. There are only so many characters they can introduce. So what happens when those run out? When the movies coming out are the 5th or 6th in the solo franchise and are interconnected to a dozen other movies, the barrier to entry keeps increasing.

There should be a definite end, and at a time when Disney bosses and Feige agreed to end the MCU, and reboot it 3 to 5 years later for the younger generation who aren't born yet in this time. I honestly would be surprised if the likes of Chris Hemsworth, Tom Holland, Mark Ruffalo, Benedict, Samuel L. Jackson and Paul Rudd, are still portraying their reXpective characters 18 years from now.

I don't want them to keep the continuity that started in 2008 through 2044 and beyond. I think there's plenty of things left to do. They could definitely keep making X-Men and Fantastic Four films through 2050 under the current MCU, but doesn't mean they should.

There should be a definite end, and at a time when Disney bosses and Feige agreed to end the MCU, and reboot it 3 to 5 years later for the younger generation who aren't born yet in this time. I honestly would be surprised if the likes of Chris Hemsworth, Tom Holland, Mark Ruffalo, Benedict, Samuel L. Jackson and Paul Rudd, are still portraying their reXpective characters 18 years from now.

I don't want them to keep the continuity that started in 2008 through 2044 and beyond. I think there's plenty of things left to do. They could definitely keep making X-Men and Fantastic Four films through 2050 under the current MCU, but doesn't mean they should.
I kind of do hope they do, because that would force them to focus on lesser known characters. I personally enjoy getting to enjoy new characters rather than to keep going back to the same few. And focussing on lesser known characters is likely to blow them up into popularity across media as has happened with the original Avengers and especially the Guardians, meaning it's more likely that the comics and cartoons and video games and everything else start using a larger variety of unique characters instead of constantly banking on big names like Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. to carry all of their stories.

I'm ready for the 2050 Avengers team featuring Darkhawk, Crescent, White Fox, Firebird, (Living) Lightning and Pod.

They could do that under a MCU Reboot in 2044, as well. The point of a reboot is to start fresh with a clean slate, and audience won't require themselves to watch Phase 1 to X to get the big picture.

And by that time, I think the public are ready to see someone else as Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, etc.

Before the MCU ends, I really want to see a DC vs Marvel movie.

They could do that under a MCU Reboot in 2044, as well.
They could, but they're never gonna if they have access to the characters that are proven to make money. If they have popular characters like Iron Man and Captain America available they'll stick with those rather than introducing lesser known underrated characters. This is a business after all.
The point of a reboot is to start fresh with a clean slate, and audience won't require themselves to watch Phase 1 to X to get the big picture.
True, but a good franchise doesn't require you to watch everything that came before either. If a kid wants to read a Marvel comic today they shouldn't be expected to have read every single issue since 1939. That'd be stupid.
And by that time, I think the public are ready to see someone else as Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, etc.
I don't doubt it. Even in this forum some people have been saying since Endgame that they should recast those characters by 2025 because the MCU can't exist without them. But personally I'd like to see a version of the Marvel Universe that's allowed to develop in real time. In the comics there's always this return to the status quo where all popular characters come back from the death, everyone barely ages, and some characters like Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, etc. will always come back to the forefront of what's going on. For once I'd like to see a version where people stay dead, do age, different characters do become the main focal point, etc.
For me the longevity of the MCU depends on two things: 1. Are people still coming to see it such that it is sustainable? 2. Is there still someone sensible in charge like Feige, who knows what they're doing and isn't completely destroying the continuity? For me the MCU should continue its linear existence as long as those questions can be answered with 'yes'.

They could, but they're never gonna if they have access to the characters that are proven to make money. If they have popular characters like Iron Man and Captain America available they'll stick with those rather than introducing lesser known underrated characters. This is a business after all.

True, but a good franchise doesn't require you to watch everything that came before either. If a kid wants to read a Marvel comic today they shouldn't be expected to have read every single issue since 1939. That'd be stupid.

I don't doubt it. Even in this forum some people have been saying since Endgame that they should recast those characters by 2025 because the MCU can't exist without them. But personally I'd like to see a version of the Marvel Universe that's allowed to develop in real time. In the comics there's always this return to the status quo where all popular characters come back from the death, everyone barely ages, and some characters like Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, etc. will always come back to the forefront of what's going on. For once I'd like to see a version where people stay dead, do age, different characters do become the main focal point, etc.
For me the longevity of the MCU depends on two things: 1. Are people still coming to see it such that it is sustainable? 2. Is there still someone sensible in charge like Feige, who knows what they're doing and isn't completely destroying the continuity? For me the MCU should continue its linear existence as long as those questions can be answered with 'yes'.
The thing is they aren't going to sit out Iron Man, Captain America forever. Like previous superheroes, they would be rebooted and be portrayed by someone else.

Also rebooting gives more freedom to the creatives - whereas, a 40 year running cinematic universe, they would have to constantly check on previous films to prevent a messy convulted continuity. And really by that time, people would just ask "how long will Disney scrape the bottom of the Marvel barrel" before they use the characters seen in the early phases of mcu.

And live action films aren't going to be like the comics. comics are drawn by different artists and no one is really confused if certain characters look different. You can't do that in Marvel movies without confusing anyone. Like you can't revive Tony Stark in 2040 with a different actor and think the public would just accept that as the continuation of the Tony Stark from Endgame. While using the multiverse to bring back certain characters, would make the continuity convulted.

Last edited:
Marvel vs Dc, Thats what I don't want to see.
From what i have read of your posts, your vision for comic book movies doesn’t align with mine generally, and that’s totally ok! We enjoy different things in the comics and want different aspects to be brought to life.

I’d love to see Marvel vs DC. They’ve been doing those types of stories since the 1970s!

Count me in as someone who has little interest in the Marvel D-listers. I’d rather they recast the big guns than have a team of nobodies headlining the Avengers. I’d love to see stuff like West Coast Avengers giving small characters the spotlight, but for the general foundation of the universe, you need the big guns.

Count me in as someone who has little interest in the Marvel D-listers. I’d rather they recast the big guns than have a team of nobodies headlining the Avengers. I’d love to see stuff like West Coast Avengers giving small characters the spotlight, but for the general foundation of the universe, you need the big guns.
For me the big guns are only the big guns because they are the characters that were established and gained some popularity early on and as such created a feedback loop where the first generation wanted to keep seeing the characters they grew up with and thus made them also the characters the next generation grew up with, etc. This has now gotten to such a point that pretty much any comic book that doesn't have one of their names as the title doesn't sell well and hence why we're getting more and more characters derivative of those. And it's not like the A-listers are inherently better. Every character was unknown at some point, but these have gotten the most chances to be honed to perfection over time.

But these movies give us the chance to finally break that cycle and finally get some innovation again. To children growing up now, freakin' Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon have become A-listers. They are the big guns now. Doing this for more characters could make relatively unknown characters into A-listers. They would no longer be considered nobodies and the pool of those "big guns" to use would expand across all media, even the comics themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"