• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HBO orders alternate universe Civil War drama from David Benioff & Dan Weiss

I'm not going to continue a discussion with people who have to resort to personal attack and make some sort of assumptions about another member of this board.

They see what you keep excusing.

You go straight to sex for some reason.

You guys keep on worshiping if you must.

Pot, meet kettle.

Never the less, bravo. That is some grade A ******** jujitsu you are pulling to avoid admitting you're wrong.

I'm gonna ask for Matt's hand in marriage.

I love how women all over the world praise game of thrones both book and show wise saying it has fantastic writing for women and gives them power... and it is misogynistic.

Last edited:
Pot, meet kettle.

Never the less, bravo. That is some grade A ******** jujitsu you are pulling to avoid admitting you're wrong.

KMje2VW.gif

Now might not be the best time for this show to come out. Frankly, as a black man, I'm kinda tired of "slave-themed" movies/shows.

Black people can be more than slaves, thugs and gang members in entertainment.

A piece of art is a piece of art. This will definitely cause a lot of heat, but don't cancel it because it'll be too dangerous being blamed for inciting incidents. It's not the way to handle the problem. Cancelling art is the easy solution to a much bigger problem that isn't being addressed. Charlottsville and what's happening is the main issue, not stuff like this. Holding this stuff back contributes to the explosiveness. You can't sweep things under the rug because sooner or later, it'll get worse. It's where art can help.

To be fair, as an artist myself, I can understand that art shouldn't be censored BUT you also need to understand that not every piece SHOULD be made.

I could paint a draw of a grown man urinating on a pre-teen girl and say "Hey, it's art", but everyone else would definitely disagree.

Artists should definitely attack inflammatory subjects, but, at the same time, we need to "read the room". Art should enrich the world and I'm not so sure this project would do that ESPECIALLY if you're showing slavery SUCCESSFULLY ingratiated into society because, even if the point of the show is to show everything going wrong, you'll initially be saying that things didn't change all that much and there are MANY, MANY people who'll use that for the wrong message.

Now might not be the best time for this show to come out. Frankly, as a black man, I'm kinda tired of "slave-themed" movies/shows.

Black people can be more than slaves, thugs and gang members in entertainment.

Why the assumption that all black characters are going to be slaves? This show is going to have storylines and characters both the North and the South. I'd imagine quite a few prominent characters in the North will be African American.

And this is one of the reasons Trump won. Let's retreat to our echo chambers because it's easier and less confrontational and the sensitive material can't be viewed.

I hope the plug hasn't been pulled. Or else this comes off as puritanical in its own way.

My biggest issue with the thing was going alternate reality. You could cover just about every dramatic element and political question you'd want, all by just telling *actual* history without coddling anyone. Show the Army of Northern Virginia capturing free black men and putting them in slavery, or Sherman abandoning his refugees because he see them as a nuisance, or Bass Reeves being a better shot and fighter than his master and escaping after clocking him.

We've really only had a few ruthlessly accurate movies about battles. I could easily see just a regular Civil War show doing a great job, simply by removing the romance.

TV could use a really good Civil War-based dramatic series. Steven Spielberg tried with "Class of '61" (starring Clive Owen and Laura Linney, no less) but it didn't make it out of the pilot movie stage. Maybe someday.

Such a disappointment. Benioff and Weiss are two of the most talented writers active today. This concept was new and daring and TV could use more new and daring concepts. Really disappointed that HBO flinched based on reactionary judgments.

Amazon should poach David Benioff & Dan Weiss and get them to be the showrunners for LOTR

No. God no.

Benioff and Weiss are not equipped to handle Tolkien. They're a mixed bag on GOT at best.

I'm glad this probably won't happen now. Not because of the concept (which I have no problem with), but because D&D are talentless hacks. GoT used to be a good show (though never as good as the books), but once they ran out of existing material the drop in quality was startling. Unless they relearn how to be competent writers and get rid if their humongous egos, I have no interest in watching anything they are involved with.

HBO have officially scrapped this.

Some of these posts have aged well...

I'm glad this probably won't happen now. Not because of the concept (which I have no problem with), but because D&D are talentless hacks. GoT used to be a good show (though never as good as the books), but once they ran out of existing material the drop in quality was startling. Unless they relearn how to be competent writers and get rid if their humongous egos, I have no interest in watching anything they are involved with.

I actually think this narrative oversimplifies it and both negates some of their achievements and lets them off the hook at the same time.

First, giving them the easy out of “once they were past the books they dipped in quality” isn’t accurate. S5 struggled, yes, but S6 had some of the best moments in the show, and they were entirely post book by that point. So they clearly could have still written the show well without material.

Add that to the fact that not only were the first 4 seasons some of the best tv ever made, they actually at times elevated the material (the Robert/Cersei season 1 convo for example).

So they definitely had the potential to land the series better than they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"