Stand-Alone Movies David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Write and Produce New Series of Star Wars Films

NotNickFury

Superhero
Reaction score
Well, after Last Jedi, I might actually be enthused in an upcoming Star Wars film.

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Why are they hiring people to make Star Wars movies that have almost no writing/directing credits? Not only that, the only thing these guys are known for is a show that is widely regarded as very inappropriate and vulgar.

2q99wyf.jpg

Oh, boy, there’s a question I didn’t need answered.

Why are they hiring people to make Star Wars movies that have almost no writing/directing credits? Not only that, the only thing these guys are known for is a show that is widely regarded as very inappropriate and vulgar.
What? They have plenty of writing credits just on Game of Thrones. The most popular show in history. :funny:

David Benioff has 3 novels and 6 screenplays. Benioff and DB Weiss are the showrunners of GOT where they co-wrote 51 episodes directed a few of them. They also co-wrote an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They aren't nobodies...

...I'll tick to the Rian Johnson trilogy.

If you asked me what this was, I'd go with Boba Fett/Underworld. But we shall see.

David Benioff has 3 novels and 6 screenplays. Benioff and DB Weiss are the showrunners of GOT where they co-wrote 51 episodes directed a few of them. They also co-wrote an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They aren't nobodies...
They have not directed an episode, but will direct the final episode.

It figures the FIRST comment is someone complaining, like always.

As Darth Skywalker and Man in the Suit have pointed out, you are way off in regards to Benioff's and Weiss' work history. Maybe check IMDB before going of on a rant.

As Game of Thrones, it is indeed "vulgar" but what exactly do you mean by "inappropriate"?

"Inappropriate" in what way and "inappropriate" for who?

RIP Rian Johnson trilogy.

Why?

So this is a variation on that “Deadwood in space” thing Lucas was talking about a few years back, right?

What? They have plenty of writing credits just on Game of Thrones. The most popular show in history. :funny:

Who cares? It's widely regarded as vulgar and inappropriate. Star Wars is a freaking children's brand.

If they were responsible for a wide variety of TV/movies and Game of Thrones was one of them it would be a different matter, but GOT is the only known thing on their resume. These are NOT people that should be working on Star Wars.

RIP Rian Johnson trilogy.
I seriously doubt that. What one needs to probably get ready for is Star Wars every May and December. Which I am game for.

Anthology, May

Alternating Trilogy, December

every single decision they made that deviated from the books once the show caught up to GRRM were bad. there is a definitive drop in quality in the show post season 4

these guys are the perfect new school yes men for kennedy. because of their GoT "nerd cred"

can't say i'm at all excited

Who cares? It's widely regarded as vulgar and inappropriate. Star Wars is a freaking children's brand.

If they were responsible for a wide variety of TV/movies and Game of Thrones was one of them it would be a different matter, but GOT is the only known thing on their resume. These are NOT people that should be working on Star Wars.

GOT is the only thing they've directed, but they've written a lot. Plus, Game of Thrones is a high end fantasy series ....with a budget and scale comparable to Star Wars. That gives them more experience than a lot of people out there right now.

The Lucasfilm announcement is calling it "a new series of Star Wars films".

Does this mean it is going to be more than a trilogy or could Lucasfilm just be using "series" as an alternative for trilogy this time?

And one of the best shows in history, the most cinematic in television history and while I don't care about awards all that much, it has the pieces of metal to prove it.

As Darth Skywalker and Man in the Suit have pointed out, you are way off in regards to Benioff's and Weiss' work history. Maybe check IMDB before going of on a rant.

As Game of Thrones, it is indeed "vulgar" but what exactly do you mean by "inappropriate"?

"Inappropriate" in what way and "inappropriate" for who?

Isn't this the show with nudity, sex, themes of incest, strong language, and extreme gory violence (according to IMDB even against children)? If there's an audience for this kind of thing fine (I suppose there's an audience for everything these days), but why in the heck would Lucasfilm hire these people to make a Star Wars movie?

Outside of Game of Thrones they only have a couple other credits on IMBD (I did check before I ranted). As far as I can tell, none of those other things are really popular/mainstream, meaning they were most likely hired because of their GOT work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"