World The Next Star Wars Movie After Rise Of Skywalker Will Be By Game Of Thrones Showrunners

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score

They may be spending the night of the Game of Thrones finale drunk and far away from the internet, but filmmakers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss had better sober up quick -- they are going to be the next ones headed to a galaxy far, far away. In a conference call with investors, as reported by Attractions Magazine, Disney revealed that the next Star Wars film to be released following Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker this December will be the long-anticipated Star Wars film from Benioff and Weiss. That the announcement came when fan fervor -- and fury -- over Game of Thrones is at its peak is likely by design by the House of Mouse.

Benioff and Weiss are reportedly developing a trilogy of Star Wars movies -- one of two currently in development. The other, from Star Wars: The Last Jedi filmmaker Rian Johnson, has been the subject of cancellation rumours twice in the last couple of months. The most likely scenario there is that, since Disney has taken on Fox assets and Star Wars will be alternating years with Avatar for the next few years, Johnson's trilogy will be delayed until after Benioff and Weiss's is completed, meaning that it will not go into active production for about five years.

So the good news is that Rian Johnson probably won't be getting his trilogy any time soon, but the bad news is that this trilogy is still going to stink.

LOL

As bad as this season of GoT has been (and it's been awful), I've also been thinking about what it would be like if George Lucas wrote Game of Thrones. For example, Ned Stark would have
hid Jon away by naming him Jon Targaryen, preferably in Dragonstone or King's Landing, which just happens to be where Rhaegar spent most of his time, and NO ONE would have put it together that he was Rhaegar's son. And Ned would have kept him safe by living a few miles up the road and concealing his own identity as Jed Stark. No one would have realized who he was.

While the final season of Game of thrones hasnt been exactyl perfect, although sundays episode was amazing to me, I'm still not worried. I think they'll do a good job with Star Wars

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-star-wars-films-after-rise-of-skywalker-will-1834749699

"Look, we know the last time we picked two white guys to do a Star Wars movie, it didn't work out. But we're pretty sure these two white guys will be better!"

I'm not asking for affirmative action behind the scenes, but can we at least try to get some diversity behind the camera?
JJ's white and he is doing pretty okay. :atp:

But yes, it is pretty sad that the Mando has like a gazllion times more diversity already.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-star-wars-films-after-rise-of-skywalker-will-1834749699

"Look, we know the last time we picked two white guys to do a Star Wars movie, it didn't work out. But we're pretty sure these two white guys will be better!"

I'm not asking for affirmative action behind the scenes, but can we at least try to get some diversity behind the camera?

LOL, and not only that, but these are the two out-of-touch white guys who run the whitest show on TV and who wanted to make a show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War. Yeah, I'm sure that wouldn't have been problematic at all.

JJ's white and he is doing pretty okay. :atp:

But yes, it is pretty sad that the Mando has like a gazllion times more diversity already.

We all know the China market isn't as attached to Star Wars because they don't have the nostalgia for it. With this new non-Skywalker story being developed, I would have gone after someone like James Wan which would then have created some buzz for them.

Would much prefer Johnson's trilogy but hey what are you gonna do?

D&D's Return of the Jedi

"Darth Vader regaining his humanity and killing the Emperor to save his son is too predictable. Let Chewbacca kill him instead. No one would see it coming. Also, #AdmiralAkbowl needs to happen somewhere in the final battle."

Oh boy. With how absolutely horrible GOT has been this season I’m not too thrilled. Because when D&D don’t have the original material to work off of they show just how uncreative they are and how bad the writing is. Oh boy.

LOL, and not only that, but these are the two out-of-touch white guys who run the whitest show on TV and who wanted to make a show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War. Yeah, I'm sure that wouldn't have been problematic at all.

Whitest show on television? There are a bunch of non white actors in GOT. In main roles and background roles. It's also true to the world Martin created so it's not as if it's the product of some racism from D&D.

And I still think the controversy about their Confederacy show was overblown. What-if history is pretty damn interesting and it shouldnt be limited to "What of the Nazis or Japanese won WW1". A drama set in a modern Confederacy could have been compelling drama. That being said I doubt D&D would have had the skill to do it well or with any nuance.

Oh boy. With how absolutely horrible GOT has been this season I’m not too thrilled. Because when D&D don’t have the original material to work off of they show just how uncreative they are and how bad the writing is. Oh boy.

What's worse is their trilogy is supposedly set hundreds of years before the Imperial era. After years of waiting for a KOTOR film it's being directed by those two creative geniuses.

I really don't see it being down to that, if they'd given it to the Russo brothers I think this would be a very different conversation.

I only watched like half the first season but would this really be that different from the man in the high castle?

What's worse is their trilogy is supposedly set hundreds of years before the Imperial era. After years of waiting for a KOTOR film it's being directed by those two creative geniuses.

Man if this was another director I would actually be pretty hyped for that, if its a 100s of years in the past at least I can still pray for young Yoda to make an appearance lol.

I only watched like half the first season but would this really be that different from the man in the high castle?

I think that’s what they were going for but here’s the thing about that. Germany has very publicly denounced the worst part of its history. The country is, to this day, ashamed of what it became under Hitler and so I think that a series like TMITHC works because it recognizes that a world where Hitler never fell would be a nightmare.

Compare that to the way the US views the Civil War and the Confederacy. It’s been romanticized all to hell. When you go to Gettysburg, it’s not uncommon to see reenactors walking around dressed as Confederate soldiers. You see the flags and memorabilia everywhere. Imagine if you still had people in Germany walking around in Nazi uniforms. And if people say it’s unfair to compare the two, I would remind them that more people died under slavery than in the Holocaust. And to anyone who says that the Confederacy wasn’t about slavery and pure, unadulterated racism, I would point them to the Cornerstone Speech.

Now, there is an argument to be made that such a TV series could really dive deep into these things and perhaps show the Confederacy for what it really was, maybe even change the minds of some people who have romanticized it. But I certainly don’t think D&D are the guys who could do it. If a black filmmaker wanted to make this show, I might be willing to give it a shot. By a couple white guys who have just wrapped up a show that has like 200 main characters and yet only like 5 of them have been people of color? I don’t think so.

Whitest show on television? There are a bunch of non white actors in GOT. In main roles and background roles. It's also true to the world Martin created so it's not as if it's the product of some racism from D&D.

And I still think the controversy about their Confederacy show was overblown. What-if history is pretty damn interesting and it shouldnt be limited to "What of the Nazis or Japanese won WW1". A drama set in a modern Confederacy could have been compelling drama. That being said I doubt D&D would have had the skill to do it well or with any nuance.

Grey Worm and Missandei are the only two people of color that have made it to the final season, and even they aren’t exactly central characters. Oberyn, Doran and Drogo lasted one season each. Ellaria lasted a little longer but not much. And everyone else has been a background character. And yeah, Martin might be to blame here too but I think they could have probably cast more people of color if they tried. Another issue I know some people have had was that the first prominent black characters on the show (other than Davos’ friend who was like in 2 scenes) started out as slaves. I have a friend who found that really racist; I’m not sure I totally agree with her but I’m not going to tell her how she should feel.

Anyway, like you said, maybe there is some way to make such a series compelling but these guys likely wouldn’t be able to do it well.

I think that’s what they were going for but here’s the thing about that. Germany has very publicly denounced the worst part of its history. The country is, to this day, ashamed of what it became under Hitler and so I think that a series like TMITHC works because it recognizes that a world where Hitler never fell would be a nightmare.

Compare that to the way the US views the Civil War and the Confederacy. It’s been romanticized all to hell. When you go to Gettysburg, it’s not uncommon to see reenactors walking around dressed as Confederate soldiers. You see the flags and memorabilia everywhere. Imagine if you still had people in Germany walking around in Nazi uniforms. And if people say it’s unfair to compare the two, I would remind them that more people died under slavery than in the Holocaust. And to anyone who says that the Confederacy wasn’t about slavery and pure, unadulterated racism, I would point them to the Cornerstone Speech.

Now, there is an argument to be made that such a TV series could really dive deep into these things and perhaps show the Confederacy for what it really was, maybe even change the minds of some people who have romanticized it. But I certainly don’t think D&D are the guys who could do it. If a black filmmaker wanted to make this show, I might be willing to give it a shot. By a couple white guys who have just wrapped up a show that has like 200 main characters and yet only like 5 of them have been people of color? I don’t think so.

I think in a way you could use that romanticism you speak of to good effect though, a lot of people have this wonderful idea of what the Civil War & Confederacy was like but if they did do it as a show I think a good angle would be to show just how rose-tinted those glasses are. (For example I love history I admit myself im guilty of romanticizing ancient Rome, Egypt and Greece for just how historically significant they are but it would likely have been horrific to live through)

You wouldn't just have to show the obviously horrific effects of slavery, you could also show internal battles between slave owners as I believe I have read before that the cotton trade created a lot incredibly wealthy families at the time and the tale of greed is as old as time.

Yeah I would even shy away from painting the North in a good light at least to start with as Lincoln famously said “If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that.”

I see your argument that they might not be the right pick for that show, although I don't think it would necessarily need to be a black filmmaker either. I think Vince Gilligan could do wonders with a topic like this. For me it would obviously have to focus on a group of slave's as our protagonists because honestly who else could you root for in a setting like that.

Grey Worm and Missandei are the only two people of color that have made it to the final season, and even they aren’t exactly central characters. Oberyn, Doran and Drogo lasted one season each. Ellaria lasted a little longer but not much. And everyone else has been a background character. And yeah, Martin might be to blame here too but I think they could have probably cast more people of color if they tried. Another issue I know some people have had was that the first prominent black characters on the show (other than Davos’ friend who was like in 2 scenes) started out as slaves. I have a friend who found that really racist; I’m not sure I totally agree with her but I’m not going to tell her how she should feel.

Anyway, like you said, maybe there is some way to make such a series compelling but these guys likely wouldn’t be able to do it well.

The Unsullied army are not caucasian. And yes Grey Worm and Missandei are central characters. Theyve been with her since season 3. The only closer ally to Dany was Jorah, and he left her for a stretch of time. Missandei's death is the catalyst that sets off Dany's mania. And grey worm and missandei got their own love story sub plot.

The Unsullied army are not caucasian. And yes Grey Worm and Missandei are central characters. Theyve been with her since season 3. The only closer ally to Dany was Jorah, and he left her for a stretch of time. Missandei's death is the catalyst that sets off Dany's mania. And grey worm and missandei got their own love story sub plot.

They're not central characters in the way that Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Arya, Sansa, etc. are. Even though a show like this has no "main" character, it's pretty clear who the central focus is on, and come on. It's not them. Yeah, they've had some great moments and it's true that Missandei's death was the last straw for Dany but let's not pretend that either of them factor into the story the way the key players do.

I have no love for D&D, but in their defence they have race bent some characters to be more inclusive in that way, whilst sticking true to the material GRRM set up (Where race and specific family traits serve as a focal story point). Characters like Sallador Saan, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Areo Hotah and Nymeria Sand are all white in the books whilst in the show they’re played by actors of colour.

They’ve not much defence in their treatment of women however, which at times exceeds the cruelties Martin depicts in his world.

Lord and Miller were too white for a successful Han Solo prequel but somehow produced a successful Miles Morales Spider-Man movie?

I hope they pull off a major *****ery feat! Hire Gwendolyn Christie for a major role and piss and fart her character arc to the wind (brienne) or drastically underwrite her character and make her a shiny costume with no character depth (phasma).... I wonder which route they’ll take????

I also hope they show a star destroyer being taken out by a crappy annoying stilted side character that no one cares about with a regular blaster rifle. Because that’s what people want to see and are waiting for.

Best yet is to craft a character who starts out as a totally arrogant, sickening character but slowly tries to redeem themselves and once they’ve nearly reached a somewhat acceptable redemption point, piss it all away by having the character regress into some of the old **** traits and feelings the character once had. So subversive, so against the grain, so #Edge-lord

Phasma is no worse than Boba Fett in the OT and the new canon. It's a shame Phasma didnt amount to more but it's not really some great issue. She was just a commander of storm troopers and she did her job and was eventually killed while doing her job.

The Stat Destroyer fleet being destroyed is one of the most visually original moments in the saga and doesnt actually ruin any character arcs or contradict character motivations. Not sure what you mean about her taking out the star Destroyer with a blaster pistol.:huh:

Also, Kylo was never trying to redeem himself nor did he abandon his behaviours. He just wanted to kill Snoke and for Rey to join him. It was only Rey that wanted to redeem him.

You know, Benioff and Weiss are not even confirmed to direct this movie ;)

Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"