Hellboy II Reactions

Evil Twin

Sidekick
Reaction score
I saw a preview screening tonight. It's one of the best films of the Summer. Funny, exciting, heartfelt, and with an idea or two underlying the surface which are handled deftly. Also, best use of Barry Manilow ever.

I think it's also proof of why you don't need to spend tens of millions on photorealistic CGI in order to make a great looking film. The guys in prosthetics and makeup standing there have more reality to them than most CGI creations. Considering the designs are universally excellent and Del Toro encourages acting and individuality in his creations, it really sells it and coaxes the audience into using its own imagination.

Hellboy and Abe getting drunk and Liz and the Angel of Death are two of the best scenes of the year in any movie. There's really no bad scenes, although the latter half of the movie probably spends a little too much time on action.

^Nice to know its awesome, though it makes it even harder that us brits have to wait until August 22nd to see it.

I went to a sneak last night and thought the movie was great. I have one knock though.
I don't think the full reality of the threat the Golden Army held was realized enough in the film

Loved the Troll Market, Loved the Elemental battle. The final battle with Prince Nauada was awesome and the chamber room of gears was a great visual.

Love how the sequel is set up and thought the ending was quick and abrupt, kinda of like its lead so I guess it was fitting. :hellboy:

My grade 9/10

Could one of you who have seen the movie plz send me a full spoiler of the movie?

So what was it, Liz had to tell Hellboy, is she preggers?:huh:

I saw a preview screening tonight. It's one of the best films of the Summer. Funny, exciting, heartfelt, and with an idea or two underlying the surface which are handled deftly. Also, best use of Barry Manilow ever.

I think it's also proof of why you don't need to spend tens of millions on photorealistic CGI in order to make a great looking film. The guys in prosthetics and makeup standing there have more reality to them than most CGI creations. Considering the designs are universally excellent and Del Toro encourages acting and individuality in his creations, it really sells it and coaxes the audience into using its own imagination.

Hellboy and Abe getting drunk and Liz and the Angel of Death are two of the best scenes of the year in any movie. There's really no bad scenes, although the latter half of the movie probably spends a little too much time on action.

Best. Complaint. Ever. :wow:

I saw it last night, and all I can say is holy crap was it awesome.

just saw it and wow. One of the most daring creative films ive ever seen. Way to go guimerro cant wait for the Hobbit! This movie exceeded my expectations and this one is a HELL of a lot better then the first

10/10

best movie of the summer for me

till next week of course haha

Yes I just came home from a midnight showing and it was phenomenal! Prince Nauda was fantastically cool....leaping around like that and such a bada** with his swords...

Abe was fantastic and loved Seth MacFarlane as Krauss...of course Red and Liz were as great together as ever...the Princess was sweet and touching and the Golden Army was very cool visually....

Easily one of my favorites....

Best movie of the summer so far....Guillermo,you are a genius:]

I kept an eye out for Lobster Johnson..didn't see him but I did see Roger.

Saw it at a pre-screening tuesday and at the midnight show tonight...oustanding movie, 1000x more epic than the first, a much better performance from Selma Blair, Elfman's score is better than Beltrami's, loaded with great character driven humor, another great villain performance from Luke Goss with some great family drama to it, full of the blend of relateable human allegory and emotion in a fantastical story that makes Del Toro the genius that he is...

My only problem with it was it's too open-ended for a movie that I'm going to have to wait about four years for a follow up to.

Some parts were just a bit too cheesy for my taste. I thought Selma Blair's acting was kinda bad in a few parts, and the Princess really got on my nerves a few times. Other than that, I thought it was pretty damn good. :up:

I saw the midnight screening last night. It was WELL WORTH IT. Awesome special effects..the creativity and boldness deserves plenty of awards. It also had plenty of funny moments and great fighting sequences!

Some parts were just a bit too cheesy for my taste. I thought Selma Blair's acting was kinda bad in a few parts, and the Princess really got on my nerves a few times. Other than that, I thought it was pretty damn good. :up:

I like the Princess:oldrazz: In fact, i'm annoyed that she's the only major one who didn't get an figure out of this.

The movie itself was good but not amazing. The humor was much better. Drunk stuff is THE funniest superhero movie scene of all time and I loved the lockerroom scene as well. Overall very cool movie. 8.5/10. Far superior than the first.

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhhh! Got to wait to unitl August 22nd till its released here :cmad:

^You poor thing, if it makes you feel better I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD.

it was ok...

never liked the first one.
this one was sorta an improvement.... mainly because i like abe sapien and there is plenty of him.

Just got through watching this movie, first showings at my theatre are $5 hell yea. Anyways, I got exactly what I was expecting...a quirky, humorous, action packed, character driven story from Del Toro. We start out with a nice backstory by John Hurt and for goodness sake I don't care how you do it but I want John Hurt in every Hellboy movie in some form or fashion. His backstory into the Golden Army is a bit too much visual wise as IMO was a wasted effort in oddly stylized CGI. Don't get me wrong, the backstory spoken by Hurt is needed, I just think it could have been spoken while we get an awesome movie intro like the cogs and machinery parts making the Hellboy logo. His story to [BLACKOUT]a young Hellboy[/BLACKOUT]is quite funny but [BLACKOUT]the poor kid had so much makeup and prosthetics on he acted like a board.[/BLACKOUT]Anywho on to the meat. Pearlman is once again fantastic as Hellboy and I love every nuance he adds to the character...even if Hellboy now drinks:cwink: Same goes for Jones in his performance as Abe. I really love Abe and I do wish they would give him more to do than to solve mysteries Velma style from Scooby Doo. He was in a quick fight sequence but it didn't last. The new addition to the team, Krauss, voiced by MacFarlane is absolutely wonderful. MacFarlane does a spot on job and fits in pitch perfect with the team. But that leads to Liz...poor Liz. Take akward Liz from the first movie, give her a little self esteem from a bad haircut and add a huge plot twist in her and you get even more akward Liz. Selma Blair is georgeous but she just doesn't fit in and her emotional scenes aren't too emotional. She is just not as emo as a suitable Liz would be. Del Toro does a fantastic job with the action and certainly the plethora of creatures that run about in this film. However, it was a bit too much to digest all at once. The story was great but too many odd monsters here and there was just too much. It seemed like there were at least 100 different monster races and not any 2 were the same except the siblings Nuada and Nuala. Which brings me to my next point: Nuada played by Luke Goss was very menacing and his henchman Wink was also top notch. I just wish Wink would have been in some more of the film as [BLACKOUT]Hellboy destroys him halfway through the film...or rather he gets caught in the grind:cwink:[/BLACKOUT]Nuala on the other hand is a bit pretentious and whiney:o I love her and [BLACKOUT]Abe's[/BLACKOUT]dynamic, turning him into a loveless fool. The final action sequence is wonderfully choreographed and even Krauss gets in on the fighting:woot: The Golden Army was a big feat in the CGI department but they did an overall modestly good job. My biggest plot complaint is [BLACKOUT]Hellboy's looming death[/BLACKOUT]It is rather quick and the manner in which it is reversed is rather quick and just another excuse to show a cool Del Toro creature. Selma Blair also didn't handle the emotional aspect of it too well and she wasn't that convincing.

Del Toro is once again master of the odd and quirky and I love it. He can do action, he can have a story, and he can have great characters. 8.5/10

two-thumbs up, great movie, great effects and costumes, the whole time i was i watching it i keep thinking they should have got Del Toro to do a dragon ball movie he would be able to pull off characters like piccolo or cell.

two-thumbs up, great movie, great effects and costumes, the whole time i was i watching it i keep thinking they should have got Del Toro to do a dragon ball movie he would be able to pull off characters like piccolo or cell.
Except for the fact that Del Toro directs/uses good source material:o An Oscar winner won't touch that:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"