How are you enjoying Season 8?

The visual spectacle is so good, it's distracting, but I'm not enjoying the development of the story and most of all, the characters.

I think the idea of Dany becoming the Mad Queen is interesting and has a lot of potential. But I didn't buy it for a second. It didn't feel like the character I have watched over the years. And while some can argue this was foreshadowed here and there, well, foreshadowing isn't character development.

Dany's destiny could be very tragic and sad. But they way they developed (or actually didn't develop) felt frustrating to say the least.

Yeah the story has really been disappointing this season. There are so many things that just went nowhere after all the build up from previous seasons.

The white walkers and night king were a big let down. Bran is useless, Tyrion has become a fool. The golden company did nothing after all the hype, and somehow drogon was able to take out the ironfleet by himself and every scorpion in kingslanding. Cersei's end was unsatisfying.

It seems like the writers of the show are just trying to make sure everyone is accounted for and it doesn't matter how their story ends. They are just checking boxes next a character to say "They are done, now who's next?".

I can't wait to finish the books to see that story completed. I hope they are more satisfying than this season has been.

Yeah with how poor the writing has been this season, it’s really motivated me to finish the books. Because I just HAVE to believe that GRRM thought up a better ending than this.

Yeah with how poor the writing has been this season, it’s really motivated me to finish the books. Because I just HAVE to believe that GRRM thought up a better ending than this.

There's a lot riding on him now. Everyone will expect a better story.

There's a lot riding on him now. Everyone will expect a better story.

LOL, there’s not that much pressure on him. It would actually be harder for him to write an ending worse than this.

I imagine he’ll still get the usual critiscms he’s always received with the books, but in terms of concluding character arcs I don’t expect that’ll be a thing that bothers him.

Disappointment mostly. And I was prepared for disappointment. Nearly all characters were somewhat ****ed over, but enjoyed Arya, Hound and Dany, even if rushed or fan-service-y. Writing is still really stiff and dull and I just can't enjoy conversations as much as I did in seasons 1-6.

Episodes 1 and 5 felt more enjoyable than the rest. And Dany is my favorite character this season.

Season 8 has just confirmed what I have been saying since like the 2nd or 3rd season that Robert Baratheon was the best king this show has had lol.

Season 8 has just confirmed what I have been saying since like the 2nd or 3rd season that Robert Baratheon was the best king this show has had lol.

God damn it, i havent thought about that...thats depressing.

Yeah, the last few seasons made me value GRRM even more.

I'm still frustrated with how long is taking to write the books. But I'm sure the writing will be good.

This is an odd survey which would be more aptly placed at mid-season, not just before it ends. I will evaluate the season as a whole when I've seen all of it, rewatched it in a binge, and digested it.

All I can say now is that the 5/6 episodes broadcasted so far are about the same quality as those in Season 7 despite the writers having had an extra year to improve that, so I suppose that's caused some disappointment. Yet overall, I've still been very entertained even while groaning out loud or face palming at certain scenes and story decisions.

I dont understand what people really expected from the Night King threat arc.

It was stupid , a letdown , poorly executed ?

Based on what we ve seen ANYHTING OTHER than the Night King winning WOULD HAVE BEEN STUPID.

What do you want ? Write the show yourselves ?

The problem is not the writing or the direction they went. Its the limited episodes and the fact that everyones expectations were sky high as GOT was a masterful epic for 7 season now.

The most boring and pretentious thing they could have done was to do everything people wanted and have Danny and Jon sit on the throne as a married couple after magically defeating the Night King in a way that SOMEHOW made sense and everyone is happy and all that in just 6 episodes.

You got to be kidding all of you.

I ve seen a review where the reviewer said the producers and writers are trolling us.

I think people who didnt like the episodes are trolling us.

bobby b!

Im disappointed. But then again maybe i'm one of those who thought the IT was the distraction from the real threat of the series the WW. So yeah.

on a micro level...these episodes...if looked in a void have been great examples of the television medium in directing, sound, music, lighting and production. The dialogue is solid. And the actors, despite a lot of them showing their displeasure with the story, have given it their A game.

But then we get on a macro level. And honestly it all falls apart.

As good as Arya is. And she's great. The Night King was Jon's story. Jon's parentage reveal has been more of a factor to Dany's story than his own story. And while you can make the argument that MQD was always in play...they payoff does not feel earned. And instead of feeling truly mad, her anger and frustration comes as human as opposed to monstrous. Jamie's story took a dive. Sansa, the smartest person around, despite asking good questions and bringing up good logistical advice...has come off as overtly petty to the point of *****iness. And then there's Euron XD

I try to put personal feelings aside...but i don't see how we're going to get a satisfying ending. Sure characters like Sam and Sansa might get decent endings to their stories. But thats it :(

I'd say it's been mostly disappointing. It has been well executed, but it's a situation where the parts aren't adding up to a greater whole. While the cinematography is good and the score is excellent, and the battles are huge... it all feels empty, like a play in which everyone has to fill these designated roles before they exit the stage. It's not organic like the beginning was known for... it's forced, and mostly doing it's best to just check off all of the boxes.

And you know, that'd be forgivable for the most part... but then they went out of their way to make some really bold decisions to deny our characters certain moments. Denying Jon a more heroic role in the Battle at Winterfell was totally deliberate... and it was a let down, straight up. And after that, denying Jaime all of his character progress was an extra blow that basically did feel like trolling.

I just don't think they could come to a reasonable, rationale, authentic, organic ending with the amount of the time they had and the amount of ground they wanted to cover. They're doing their best. It's coming out slightly less than what I had hoped for.

There should be an option for Don't like but don't hate it either.

The last two seasons have been really rushed, but it's still better than a lot of tv out there.

It really should have been 10 seasons 10 episodes...

I'd say it's been mostly disappointing. It has been well executed, but it's a situation where the parts aren't adding up to a greater whole. While the cinematography is good and the score is excellent, and the battles are huge... it all feels empty, like a play in which everyone has to fill these designated roles before they exit the stage. It's not organic like the beginning was known for... it's forced, and mostly doing it's best to just check off all of the boxes.

And you know, that'd be forgivable for the most part... but then they went out of their way to make some really bold decisions to deny our characters certain moments. Denying Jon a more heroic role in the Battle at Winterfell was totally deliberate... and it was a let down, straight up. And after that, denying Jaime all of his character progress was an extra blow that basically did feel like trolling.

I just don't think they could come to a reasonable, rationale, authentic, organic ending with the amount of the time they had and the amount of ground they wanted to cover. They're doing their best. It's coming out slightly less than what I had hoped for.

Therein lies the problem though. They’re not doing they’re best. They’re doing what’s required to bring an ending to the show, as fast as possible.

Yes, you have to finish these things eventually, but the decision to truncate the entire back end of the story has been a failure.

None of the plot developments that people have issues with would have been seen as bad, provided they had take the time to set them up properly.... as was the case in previous seasons.

I'm pretty sure that Mad Queen Daenerys will happen in the books as well. D&D said that besides the deaths of Hodor and Shireen, there was one more plot point that GRRM shared with them that shocked them and I believe this is it. Although I'm sure it won't be as rushed in the books. I'm actually not bothered by Mad Queen Dany, I just wish they had allowed more time to build up to it. When you think about it, Jon and Daenerys only met 9 episodes ago. I actually liked the pace of season 7 but this season has been far too rushed. Even though I've had my share of disappointments, I still like season 8. Including Episode 5.

The last two seasons have been really rushed, but it's still better than a lot of tv out there.

It really should have been 10 seasons 10 episodes...

That's what I've said. GOT at its worst is still better than most shows at their best. But I think 8 seasons, 10 episodes each would have worked. An additional 7 episodes to tell the story would have been enough.

I'm pretty sure that Mad Queen Daenerys will happen in the books as well. D&D said that besides the deaths of Hodor and Shireen, there was one more plot point that GRRM shared with them that shocked them and I believe this is it. Although I'm sure it won't be as rushed in the books. I'm actually not bothered by Mad Queen Dany, I just wish they had allowed more time to build up to it. When you think about it, Jon and Daenerys only met 9 episodes ago. I actually liked the pace of season 7 but this season has been far too rushed. Even though I've had my share of disappointments, I still like season 8. Including Episode 5.

That's what I've said. GOT at its worst is still better than most shows at their best. But I think 8 seasons, 10 episodes each would have worked. An additional 7 episodes to tell the story would have been enough.

Yeah, I'm sure that if Dany goes mad at the end of the books, her transition doesn't feel so ridiculously rushed. If it felt more natural, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the way it's played out has just been absurd.

I don’t think The prequels will be good if they don’t have source material to work from.

Yeah, I'm sure that if Dany goes mad at the end of the books, her transition doesn't feel so ridiculously rushed. If it felt more natural, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the way it's played out has just been absurd.

The books are much more fleshed out. And we get Dany's perspective. You can read about how paranoid she's getting and how she's giving in to her destiny of fire and blood. If the Mad Queen happens in the books, it'll make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"