• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

How do you define who is your friend?

I agree with OP on loose definition of the term "friend." and I had started a thread on how women vs. men use the term "friend." I have people at work who probably think of me as a friend though I would call them acquaintances.

To me, a friend is someone I'm comfortable hanging outside of work with and open up personally about myself. I've had few best friends in my lives--these moved away out of coincidence.

I have a very strict definition for friends. People I spend time with outside of work during my time off I consider friends.

Those who I work with and interact with and joke with, are work acquaintances.

I've known of one person who one of my friends dated who was always quick to call everyone their friend. My friend this and my friend that even though it was months, years since they actually really spoke.

:shrug:

I'm not like that, I'm usually not the biggest people person and only like to be around select few.

I have numerous acquaintances but I can count my friends on one hand

I don't even know. I have a bunch of random dudes I hang out with on occasion to watch movies/sports, a couple from work that I may go to events with, but no one that's like a real buddy buddy type person.

If they don't get the hump with me when i fart in their face whilst they are sleeping then they are a friend.

But seriously, through life you might have dozens of friends, maybe hundreds. But i promise you'll be about to count your "true" friends with your hands. Maybe on one.

Friends - When the world doesn't want to know you or your problems, they will.

Looks to me like as we get older we either don't have any true friends or we only have one.

I only have one person I occasionally hang out with, and I say occasionally because they can be flaky as hell; but other than that I stick to it being just me.

People you commonly hang out with and talk to. You have very similar tastes and you are into similar hobbies. Really strong friends can get personal with each other and tell each other personal stuff. You try to help each other out.

I have a scale.

1. Colleague.
2. Acquaintance.
3. Acquaintance, Level 2 (I use the descriptor "well acquainted.")
4.Friend
5. Almost best friend, but for varying reasons, I do not divulge everything about myself to them.
6. Best friend. Peak of human trust. I reveal the Batcave to them.

:up: This. Except, I would say my work colleagues may know more or I would divulge more to them, then an acquaintance. Practically a second family, considering we spend so much time together.

I make them compete for my friendship in a series of life threatening tests and challenges. To be my friend, you must be a survivor. :o

I see we deploy the same strategy.

I think if you are single, your friends take on a new level, obviously single or in a relationship, your friends should mean a lot to you, but when you are single, you spend more time with them and are more 'in tune' with them as such.

When in a relationship, everything is 50/50 and so planning 'off the cuff' stuff with friends is difficult and you don't see your wider circle of friends as much simply by being with your partner more.

I feel like according to some of these definitions, I don't have any friends. :(

I feel like according to some of these definitions, I don't have any friends. :(

You'd be surprised how many people don't. I mean, they have people they have drinks with, go see a movie with, etc, but out of sight; out of mind.

And that's not even going into so-called "online friends".

My scale is..

Best Friend
Good Friend
Friend
Good Acquaintance
Acquaintance
I've has one conversation with you
Stranger

I consider somebody a friend if I know them well enough to be an ******* to them.

If they don't get the hump with me when i fart in their face whilst they are sleeping then they are a friend.

But seriously, through life you might have dozens of friends, maybe hundreds. But i promise you'll be about to count your "true" friends with your hands. Maybe on one.

If your farts smell good you'd have to fight them off with a stick.

It's interesting to think about how most friendships form out of convenience more than anything. You work with/live near this person, so it's just easier to be nice to them. Now occasionally you will form a connection with someone you click with or have a lot in common with, but if I'm totally honest, a lot of my friends could easily be interchangeable with anyone else that just wasn't in the right place at the right time (well not anyone else, but you get the point).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"