How the vulture would have played into the story

Toxin72

Civilian
Reaction score
Im about to type word for word a few paragraphs from the book the spider-man chronicles: the art of spider-man 3 about the vulture:
With most of the story arc's framework laid, the brothers (sam and ivan raimi) the brothers perceived and important new element. Although one villain sufficed in the first two pictures, spider-man 3 was shaping up differently. In order to teach peter the true depth of the act of forgiveness, Sam and Ivan needed a character in the final battle that could not let go of his need for vengeance and is therefore destroyed by this hatred. With this in mind, the Raimis created a storyline that intertwined sandman and adrian toomes, a.k.a. the vulture.
Whereas sand man is dangerous yet conflicted and misunderstood, the vulture is dangerous, opportunistic, and cunning. Sandman keeps his emotions in check; the vulture wears his on his wings. One of the emotions he wore was an insatiable quest for revenge. When spider-man thwarted one of adrian's illegitimate business endeavors, he landed in prison. From that day forward, he stewed in jail, pining for the day he would enact his vengeance.
That day came when sandman, in need of an accomplice with some brainpower, broke his old cellmate out of jail with the hope that the vulture would mastermind a crucial mission. With the sandman's operation overlapping with the vulture's thirst for revenge, the winged one obliged, and the twosome joined up to complicate peter's plight in the third act.
At the height of this conflict, during the final battle of the film, a humbled spider-man offers the vulture the olive branch of peace. Unable to accept it because of the hatred in his heart, the vulture meets his demise, illustrating to peter the ramifications of a heart hardened by an inability to forgive.

Yeah, I'm glad they went with Venom instead...

The Vulture storyline sounds far more Raimi-like and compelling than the rushed, thrown-in Venom. This film could have worked itself out without the Symbiote/Venom story at all. Harry, Peter, and the Vulture's revenge would have been sufficent enough to guide this film to a 2 hour run-time, coupled with Sandman.

Meh. This doesn't sound as good.
Although I wish Venom had a bigger part (he kicked ass though), I'm glad they went with him and not Vulture.

Vulture would have rocked, but Venom was so great!

Am I the only one that thinks they should have never went with the Sandman?

Story wise it would have been similar to SP3 but less visually spectacular.

And Darth Electra,i loved Sandman,he may the reason SP3 gets an SFX oscar :D:D:D

I wonder if the crane scene was gonna be caused by the Vulture during a spidey fight,and when spidey saves Gwen in it,the Vulture makes his getaway.

Im about to type word for word a few paragraphs from the book the spider-man chronicles: the art of spider-man 3 about the vulture:
With most of the story arc's framework laid, the brothers (sam and ivan raimi) the brothers perceived and important new element. Although one villain sufficed in the first two pictures, spider-man 3 was shaping up differently. In order to teach peter the true depth of the act of forgiveness, Sam and Ivan needed a character in the final battle that could not let go of his need for vengeance and is therefore destroyed by this hatred. With this in mind, the Raimis created a storyline that intertwined sandman and adrian toomes, a.k.a. the vulture.
Whereas sand man is dangerous yet conflicted and misunderstood, the vulture is dangerous, opportunistic, and cunning. Sandman keeps his emotions in check; the vulture wears his on his wings. One of the emotions he wore was an insatiable quest for revenge. When spider-man thwarted one of adrian's illegitimate business endeavors, he landed in prison. From that day forward, he stewed in jail, pining for the day he would enact his vengeance.
That day came when sandman, in need of an accomplice with some brainpower, broke his old cellmate out of jail with the hope that the vulture would mastermind a crucial mission. With the sandman's operation overlapping with the vulture's thirst for revenge, the winged one obliged, and the twosome joined up to complicate peter's plight in the third act.
At the height of this conflict, during the final battle of the film, a humbled spider-man offers the vulture the olive branch of peace. Unable to accept it because of the hatred in his heart, the vulture meets his demise, illustrating to peter the ramifications of a heart hardened by an inability to forgive.

Wow that sounds really good. It feels a lot more substantial and emotional than the recent Spidey 3. Great work. Too bad we can't take back time to show Raimi this.

Wow that sounds really good. It feels a lot more substantial and emotional than the recent Spidey 3. Great work. Too bad we can't take back time to show Raimi this.

Yeah. Too bad that the fans think they should have an influence on the Spidey movies.

I wish so much they had gone this way!

I'm torn because Vulture is such a lame villain but Brock/Venom was so under utilized by Raimi. I think the theme of revenge works better with Venom but I was so disappointed by the lack of screentime with Brock. Ultimately, I would have just liked it if Raimi was allowed to use whichever characters he felt was best to tell his story, instead of receiving interference by the producers.

When I first heard of Sandman being the villain I thought that they will use Electro with him. Those two are the best team-up villains in a Spider-Man story (beside the two Goblins and the two symbiotes), maybe because of their powers. Both of them posses power of controlling some particles or a force. Nevertheless I am happy that they decided to use Venom instead of the Vulture. I cannot see him as a main villain in a film and working alongside with Sandman. Maybe the Vulture will play his part with the Lizard in the 4th. They are way better combination than him and Sandman.

How about they just scrap any plans concerning Vulture. Who needs an old geezer flying around as the main threat when you've already battled a man made out of sand, an alien, a guy with mechanical arms, not to mention the bomb-tossing father/son combo. Boo to that.

How about they just scrap any plans concerning Vulture. Who needs an old geezer flying around as the main threat when you've already battled a man made out of sand, an alien, a guy with mechanical arms, not to mention the bomb-tossing father/son combo. Boo to that.

Ah-men.

:D Yes, I give you point for that. Vulture would be ridiculous in a film. I can't believe that they even thought using him.

I think the vulture could work in the movie. Really though im just interested to see how well Sir Ben Kingsley would have played him because thats who they were going to cast as the vulture. They already had meetings with him and everything and it seemed as if he was gonna get the part but then they scrapped the vulture idea.

Vulture would have rocked, but Venom was so great!

Am I the only one that thinks they should have never went with the Sandman?

Nope!

Check out the Sandman Pointless Villian thread! Apart from a few rabid anti-Venom fans, all of the discussion there is grown up and quite readable.

I'm torn because Vulture is such a lame villain but Brock/Venom was so under utilized by Raimi. I think the theme of revenge works better with Venom but I was so disappointed by the lack of screentime with Brock. Ultimately, I would have just liked it if Raimi was allowed to use whichever characters he felt was best to tell his story, instead of receiving interference by the producers.

This is the ultimate paradox:

What little there was of Brock was quite good, but the way in which Venom was rushed (and in some ways his portrayal) meant that most people perhaps have conflicting feelings; Venom should have been kept for a better go, but at the same time that his replacment with the Vulture would have resulted in a poorer film.

I'd take Raimi's Vulture story over his forced Venom story any day.

When I first heard of Sandman being the villain I thought that they will use Electro with him. Those two are the best team-up villains in a Spider-Man story (beside the two Goblins and the two symbiotes), maybe because of their powers. Both of them posses power of controlling some particles or a force. Nevertheless I am happy that they decided to use Venom instead of the Vulture. I cannot see him as a main villain in a film and working alongside with Sandman. Maybe the Vulture will play his part with the Lizard in the 4th. They are way better combination than him and Sandman.

James Cameron thought the same way you did.

Vulture would've been a sad villain to see in a movie.

Seriously, Bane in Batman and Robin would be better to see in Spider-Man 3 than Vulture.

I REALLY hate to say it...but while Vulture has always been second rate to me (as has Sandman, come to think of it) this sounds like it would have been a better movie.

YOu wouldn't have had to introduce the symbiote and while it made some things easier as a plot device and took Peter further than he would have gone without it (both in violence and in humor) it would have made him throwing a bomb in Harry's face even more horrific.

But more importantly it would have been easier to intertwine Vulture to Sandman and have him in the story than Eddie Brock. He escapes with Marko as well and wants merely revenge and parts their seperate ways. He tries at the end of the first act as Vulture and fails. He then teams up with Sandman in the third act and given they already have a history and how he manipulated Marko at the beginning of the movie it would not have been out of left field.

Also, at the end with instsead of Peter pulling Eddie out of the symbiote but instead offering Vulture a chance for redemption and forginess but still ending with Vulture trying to kill Pete anyways and dying however he might have...would have been stronger and more satisfying thematically.

Also being able to introduce Toomes as a villain in the first act instead of waiting to reveal the true depths of Brock's wickidness and the symbiote-mess that was Venom until the third act would have solved some pacing issues.

I hate saying it...but while Venom is a better villain....Vulture would have fit in this movie much better. Like a glove, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"