How to Make a Good Movie!

thejon93

Forever Haunted
Reaction score
Nowadays, some filmmakers and movie companies just can't seem to find the right formula for making a good movie because basically all that they focus on is the money it will make in the cinema. And some of them just put in no sense and style and originality. I wanted to make this thread to try and get people to understand what should truly come from a good movie experience. So, post your thoughts on how filmmakers can make great films and avoid making the ones that end up failing at the end of the day. Here are my thoughts and opinions on how filmmakers can great films:
  • The main thing filmmakers need to focus on when making great films are the characters that they helm to the screen. The audience has to feel some sort of connection with them, so when they make there choices and decisions you can have a feeling over what they do instead of them making a decision and while they do so you just say to yourself: 'Oh well.'
That's really the basic thought that I have of any film so, what's yours?

Characters is a good start. Beyond that it has to meaningful. What is the film trying to say about humanity or whatever? Most movies these days put the message of the film in the trailer and then the film itself focuses completely on something else. In fact, if they made movies with the same dedication and care that they make the trailers, we'd have more great movies around than we'd have time to watch them all.

Characters is a good start. Beyond that it has to meaningful. What is the film trying to say about humanity or whatever? Most movies these days put the message of the film in the trailer and then the film itself focuses completely on something else. In fact, if they made movies with the same dedication and care that they make the trailers, we'd have more great movies around than we'd have time to watch them all.
That sounds good. Yeah, for me the main thing that any film must get right are the characters. Even if the script is pure gold, you always have to have some kind of connection with the character while the movie progresses. And the film itself has to have some kind of story that people can understand so that while they're watching the film they won't be to busy going: 'Huh?'

More films need to be character driven instead of plot driven. They need to rely on character and story and use special effects as the backdrop instead of the other way around. More good, solid, actors need to be cast rather than attractive movie stars. Talent should trump looks every time. The villian needs to be intriguing. Too many films employ the cardboard cut out approach to the villian. It's like filmmakers assume that if the hero is cool, and if the leading lady is sexy, who cares about the villain? Well, in order to have a good story you need good conflict. In order to have good conflict you need a good villain. The villain needs to be slighly better than our hero and always one step ahead of him.

More films need to be character driven instead of plot driven. They need to rely on character and story and use special effects as the backdrop instead of the other way around. More good, solid, actors need to be cast rather than attractive movie stars. Talent should trump looks every time. The villian needs to be intriguing. Too many films employ the cardboard cut out approach to the villian. It's like filmmakers assume that if the hero is cool, and if the leading lady is sexy, who cares about the villain? Well, in order to have a good story you need good conflict. In order to have good conflict you need a good villain. The villain needs to be slighly better than our hero and always one step ahead of him.
That sounds like a really great approach, Steve.

That's really the basic thought that I have of any film so, what's yours?

Dont let Uwe Boll, Joel Shumacher or nameless other directors near the production.

Dont let Uwe Boll, Joel Shumacher or nameless other directors near the production.
Have you ever seen any of Joel Schumacher's work outside of the Batman sequels? Schumacher is an amazing director and a solid storyteller. See Falling Down and Tigerland.

That sounds good. Yeah, for me the main thing that any film must get right are the characters. Even if the script is pure gold, you always have to have some kind of connection with the character while the movie progresses. And the film itself has to have some kind of story that people can understand so that while they're watching the film they won't be to busy going: 'Huh?'

Absolutely true. I don't care how interesting a story's premise is. If I don't like the people in the story, I lose interest quickly. King Kong had this problem. I struggled during its fifty year running time to give a hell what happens by the end of it because all the characters were really stupid, except for the big monkey ironically. And they killed him! god

Have you ever seen any of Joel Schumacher's work outside of the Batman sequels? Schumacher is an amazing director and a solid storyteller. See Falling Down and Tigerland.

I have seen Lost Boys and Flatliners, but all the good he does are just negated by those two neon-colored s*** sandwiches. No "good" director would have ever done such a thing.

I have seen Lost Boys and Flatliners, but all the good he does are just negated by those two neon-colored s*** sandwiches. No "good" director would have ever done such a thing.
Well, if it means anything, the studio forced his hand. He did not want to do those movies the way he did them. But Warner Bros. forced him to do it their way.

Well, if it means anything, the studio forced his hand. He did not want to do those movies the way he did them. But Warner Bros. forced him to do it their way.

I guess that is true. At least for B&R.

Absolutely true. I don't care how interesting a story's premise is. If I don't like the people in the story, I lose interest quickly. King Kong had this problem. I struggled during its fifty year running time to give a hell what happens by the end of it because all the characters were really stupid, except for the big monkey ironically. And they killed him! god
Yeah, that was rediculous about King Kong. The only character I really cared for was the King Kong character because even though he was sort of a bad guy I could still connect with his character more even though he couldn't talk the movie still showed that he had a heart and that he could love as he did towards Ann.

You are talking about the remake, correct? I was surprised that I actually really enjoyed it. While most of the movie was over the top effects laden trash, the relationship between Kong and Anne was wonderfully done. I loved both characters and thought that Natalie Watts turned in a hell of a performance. The two of them sliding on the ice in New York damn near made me cry. No, I felt that the King Kong remake, while faulty, was strong enough and poigniant enough to stand alone. One of the better remakes I've ever seen.

Don't make it in Hollywood.
Character development!
Don't remake something.
use your brains

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"