Iron Man 3 How will Iron Man return in the Avengers 2?

IronAvenger

Civilian
Reaction score
Seeing as Tony removed his arc reactor and destroyed his armors, and the end says Tony Stark will return not Iron Man will return. Will Tony use Extremis? Will he make something better than Mark 42?

Well it's obvious the Mark 42 was independently powered, just like all the Jarvis controlled. Suits so the arc reactor thing is no biggie, and tony can just make new armies..better ones. He always learns from encounters, my guess is he didn't want armory so easily beaten by extremis anyways

It worked great for this film but I'm glad they did a clean sweep. Start over and have Tony maxed out with a form of Extremis himself for Avengers 2. You needed to lose the Iron Legion and the remote control stuff. I wonder if Joss made that request. "Hey, kill that Iron Legion before you hand me Tony for Avengers 2." One less logic thing to worry about. Whatever threat the Avengers face, everyone would've been crying "WHY NOT CALL ALL THE ARMORS?"

I think Extremis armor is the most logical next step for Iron Man in Avengers 2.

Stark will now have Extremis running through his veins, and probably design a better armor than Mark 42 in TA2 but doesn't want to bring it out because of his promise to Pepper. However, like the first Avengers movie he will be reluctant at first but when the dangers are coming out in droves, Stark will put on his new armor, and that along with the Extremis virus will become the most dangerous member of the team. Stark will return and better than before.

Stark will now have Extremis running through his veins, and probably design a better armor than Mark 42 in TA2 but doesn't want to bring it out because of his promise to Pepper. However, like the first Avengers movie he will be reluctant at first but when the dangers are coming out in droves, Stark will put on his new armor, and that along with the Extremis virus will become the most dangerous member of the team. Stark will return and better than before.

The most dangerous member of the team? That would kind of make Thor and Hulk being a part of the team seem pointless, that's pretty much their "thing".

i'm hoping for a bleeding edge armour design. go back to the red and gold. have a jet pack like the mark 7. also his new weapons could be more about defending him and the team, such as an energy shield or something lol.

then again, seeing a rebuilt mark 42 that is fully functioning and loaded with weapons would be kind of cool after iron man 3

It doesn't seem very likely that Iron Man will be an "extremis cyborg".

interview at empireonline.com said:
The comic ends up with Tony injecting Extremis into his own body.
Feige: We go in a different direction than the comic. In the comic he goes, here's this body-altering device, I have to alter my own body and fight it. That's not an option here for Tony.

Black: The suit's in his bones now in the comics.

Feige: We didn't want that. We wanted to see how this fragile human being deals with all the craziness of the Avengers and Extremis and conquer it, rather than succumb to it and become something else. The minute he becomes a robot, he's not Iron Man anymore.

Black: We didn't want him to become a cyborg because he actually... it's the wrong way to go because he desires it in the comic and does it. The more interesting thing is if the temptation is there and he rejects it and he doesn't go to that crazy place. That's what a villain would do, a villain would say 'I want to be a god!', and suck it all into his bones. Tony would say no. This one is more mechanical and less biological.

Feige: In the comics 40 years into his run, you can do that, ok. Knock on wood, in part 12 there may be a suit coming out of his bones, but not now.

Source

In addition to the above quotes, Drew Pearce confirmed a few times on Twitter that Tony did not give himself Extremis by the end of IM3. I suppose if Joss wants it could happen before TA2 though...

I'd like to see TA2 start off with no suits at all. Just have Tony concentrating on rebuilding his life with Pepper. Whatever new suit he builds should be the result of not only impending threat, but of some emotional investment as well, such as Bruce Banner being in danger.

As for the suit, I'd love a mix of the Mk42 and the black and gold Marvel NOW! Armor. The armor could be modular, alleviating the need for multiple suits, but allowing Tony to have a variety of options in regards to weapons and accessories.

One thing I do not want to see in the MCU is the extremis/bleeding edge under-the-skin type armor. I know we have aliens and fire breathing super soldiers, but the under-skin armor is just a bit too fantastic for the world Iron Man lives in.

Last edited:
The most dangerous member of the team? That would kind of make Thor and Hulk being a part of the team seem pointless, that's pretty much their "thing".

Okay, I was exaggerating a bit, but I think Stark will definitely become "new and improved" after Extremis, although it depends how much they will implement the Extremis from the comics to the screen.

I think Extremis armor is the most logical next step for Iron Man in Avengers 2.

:up: It's not only the most logical, it's probably the only possible step I can think of as of now.

I think he was trying to legitimately give it all up, but something extreme will force him back in

I think the degree he "retired" is vastly exaggerated. All he did was blow up the suits that were the focus of his recent unhealthy obsession, and get his heart fixed up. He can still build suits ( and stick a reactor in them, which he's been doing anyway ), he's still inclined to heroism.

My concern is Stark has no reason to be in the suit anymore given what he was able to do via remote control.

My concern is Stark has no reason to be in the suit anymore given what he was able to do via remote control.

man power is always better than robot power! robots shall not overtake the world!

This. Or able to ask JARVIS to do it for him, which is equally as cheap, if not more.

I suppose we'll witness him realizing that "nothing will ever trump a pilot's instincts" and so on. After all, he didn't even see the truck coming while RC'ing the suit. That's a strike against remote control.

I don't want to see him call in drones but rather see him summon weaponry like the proton cannon from Marvel X Capcom. Just have one suit and implement deflector shields, Heartbreaker RT and force field technology.

In addition to the above quotes, Drew Pearce confirmed a few times on Twitter that Tony did not give himself Extremis by the end of IM3. I suppose if Joss wants it could happen before TA2 though...

I'd like to see TA2 start off with no suits at all. Just have Tony concentrating on rebuilding his life with Pepper. Whatever new suit he builds should be the result of not only impending threat, but of some emotional investment as well, such as Bruce Banner being in danger.

As for the suit, I'd love a mix of the Mk42 and the black and gold Marvel NOW! Armor. The armor could be modular, alleviating the need for multiple suits, but allowing Tony to have a variety of options in regards to weapons and accessories.

One thing I do not want to see in the MCU is the extremis/bleeding edge under-the-skin type armor. I know we have aliens and fire breathing super soldiers, but the under-skin armor is just a bit too fantastic for the world Iron Man lives in.

The only thing Black, Pearce and Feige confirm is that Tony doesn't get Extremis-ized for IM3. There's nothing that says that Joss won't take that tack for TA2. Extremis armor makes sense for TA2.

The only thing Black, Pearce and Feige confirm is that Tony doesn't get Extremis-ized for IM3. There's nothing that says that Joss won't take that tack for TA2. Extremis armor makes sense for TA2.
REALLLY? so then that DOES make the ending of IM3 just complete an utter ******** and stupidly written,that was the ONLY explanation omg so its actually laughable now the way he just cured Pepper and finally had his chest reactor removed IF he didn't master the extremis himself and have a new reason for his heart and its surroundings healing! OH Black you ego maniac fool do did it again

There was a time or two in the original Nick Fury series where Stark would appear with some new tech for SHEILD - I wonder if Marvel would have the guts to have only Tony Stark in a movie, with no Iron Man.
I could also see Ultron evolving out of Stark's workshop, given the direction some of his armors have been going in IM3. I guess Henry Pym does not have to be his creator.

Since Feige says that he doesn't think that the Extremis armor makes any sense now is as much confirmation as we'll get that it won't be in TA2. If he thinks that something clashes with the core of the character (saying that with Extremis he's not Iron Man anymore) I don't see what could make it happen in TA2, which should have it's frames established already. Him saying that it might be different when IM12 comes out shows what kind of time frame he has in mind when he shuts the idea down.

The most logical to me would be for Tony to inject himself with an Extremis version modified by himself like the in the comic, then to get the Extremis armour. After the Mark 42 and the trouble he had with it, Extremis just seems the best possible choice once he is bag in the suit.

BUT, the interview with Feige above obviously debunks that, or maybe he is just messing with us so we have a few surprises to look forward to. Its not like Fiege didnt do this with Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin.

The most logical to me would be for Tony to inject himself with an Extremis version modified by himself like the in the comic, then to get the Extremis armour. After the Mark 42 and the trouble he had with it, Extremis just seems the best possible choice once he is bag in the suit.

BUT, the interview with Feige above obviously debunks that, or maybe he is just messing with us so we have a few surprises to look forward to. Its not like Fiege didnt do this with Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin.

The problems with the Mk 42 armor was that it wasn't ready. Tony was too impatient, it was still in the test phases. I think by the time Avengers 2 rolls around Tony would have built new armor. He says at the end the he's still Iron Man, but part of the plot of this movie was for him to move past the events of The Avengers, he needed to heal metally, all the armors he had in this movie were just his distractions from dealing with the real problems, the things that stopped him from healing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"