• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Hulu’s Mike | Trevante Rhodes is Mike Tyson

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
‘Iron Mike’: Trevante Rhodes To Star As Mike Tyson In Hulu Series – Deadline

Hulu has found its Mike Tyson. Moonlight star Trevante Rhodes will play the controversial world champion boxer in eight-part series Iron Mike.

He will pull the gloves on and get in the ring later this year when production starts. Rhodes, who played adult Chiron in the Academy Award-winning feature film, has also starred in Netflix’s Birdbox and Hulu’s The United States Vs. Billie Holiday.

The series is set to explore the wild, tragic and controversial life and career of heavyweight champion Tyson – one of the most polarizing figures in sports culture.

The streamer ordered the series from I, Tonya screenwriter Steven Rogers and director Craig Gillespie with Margot Robbie exec producing and Mixed-ish’s Karin Gist set as showrunner and exec producer.

Hulu is pulling no punches with the series and refuses to be knocked out even though the boxer accused the Disney-owned network of “cultural misappropriation” and said it was “tone-deaf” to announce particularly during Black History Month.

It turned out that one of Tyson’s issues might have been a rival project that was also in the works, one that he had signed up to be involved in, revealing in March that Jamie Foxx would star in a limited series from Antoine Fuqua and Martin Scorsese. That project didn’t have a broadcaster or streamer attached.

Not related to Jamie Foxx’s mini series.

Last edited:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/hulu-mike-tyson-series-harvey-keitel-1235031914/

The eight-episode series, which stars Trevante Rhodes (Moonlight) as the former heavyweight champion, has added Harvey Keitel, Laura Harrier, Grace Zabriskie, Olunike Adeliyi and TJ Atoms to its cast. All will have recurring roles in the drama, which is currently in production.

Oscar nominee Keitel (Pulp Fiction, The Irishman) will play Cus D’Amato, Tyson’s first trainer, mentor and eventually adoptive father. Harrier (Netflix’s Hollywood) will play actress Robin Givens, Tyson’s first wife.

Zabriskie (Twin Peaks, Big Love) plays Camille D’Amato, Cus’ wife who considers Mike a son — and is shocked when Robin confronts her about Mike paying her mortgage. Adeliyi (Workin’ Moms, The Expanse) will play Lorna Mae, Mike’s mother, who’s been hardened by a system designed to keep her down. Atoms (Wu-Tang: An American Saga) plays Barkim, a thief and early friend of Mike’s who recognizes the young boxer’s talent.

It looks really good. The only thing that gives me pause is Laura Harrier as Robin Givens, I like her but she can’t act to save her life.

But I’ll be watching.

I also think it looks really good, but I also keep wondering when the Mike Tyson limited series from Scorsese/Foxx is happening, if it is still in the works?

Tyson was not happy at all when this was announced.

Last edited:
Looks good. Hope it turns out good. At least better than the Michael Jai White HBO movie

Trevante Rhodes is drastically underused in Hollywood imo. He should be getting more lead stuff.

The Creators behind it are solid. I really enjoyed I Tonya. Rhodes seems to have nailed the voice and some of the mannerisms.

Edit: nitpick but the choices for young Mike look nothing like Rhodes. But that won't matter if they bring it

Trevante Rhodes packs a punch as Mike Tyson in first look at new Hulu series

Showrunner Karin Gist tells EW that the writing team's goal was to "dig deeper" into the story behind the public figure "that everyone thinks they know."

"The show is not meant to glorify his life," Gist says. "We were never trying to say that Mike Tyson is a hero or Mike Tyson is a villain. Our goal was to take a very complicated and controversial figure and try to get under the hood of what he was praised and vilified for while staying true to our North Star of 'no one person is one thing.'"

"The show is not supposed to be a love letter or an indictment, which is why we had to include all the good, the bad, and the complexities of both," Gist continues. "Fortunately, as a global society, we are all talking more and more about things that were once taboo or only whispered about among friends — rape, sexual assault, consent to name a few. Putting stories like this in the spotlight and pulling them out of the shadows is crucial to moving forward and getting the conversation to the next level. The goal was not to shy away from the scary or uncomfortable parts of the story just because they are scary and uncomfortable."

Gist joined the series as showrunner after creator Steven Rogers wrote the pilot episode as a follow-up to his 2017 Oscar-nominated movie I, Tonya — another project about a controversial athlete who made headlines in the '90s.

"I think the thing people responded to in I, Tonya was, we took a story everyone thought they knew and we tried to show there's much more to it than just the sound bites the media gives us," Rogers explains. "Then one of us said, 'What about doing that with Mike Tyson?' I clicked to that because to me, his story is so compelling, contradictory, and complex. In some ways, it's a cautionary tale of the American Dream. It also seemed like quite a ride. And you can find the roots of a lot of issues we're grappling with today like #MeToo, Black Lives Matter, prison reform, mental health issues in it. It seemed like a good time to tell it."

The limited series aims to present viewers with "all sides of [Tyson's] life and the lives of the people around him. No one is just one thing. There's more behind a sound bite or a headline or gossip," Gist says.

"We wanted people to see Mike's own culpability in his life and society's culpability as well," she adds. "We wanted to let our audience decide what they think and feel."

Huge boxing fan so Mike story im familiar with and huge Tyson fan
This looks like crap

Tyson fan boy yes yes I am

It looks really good. The only thing that gives me pause is Laura Harrier as Robin Givens, I like her but she can’t act to save her life.

But I’ll be watching.

Awww come on, Laura was good in BlackkKlansman and Hollywood (in the case of the latter, the show was silly but she was good).

Trevante Rhodes really needs to be in more stuff! He was great in Moonlight.

He really does. Great actor, and built like a tank. I remember there were rumors about him playing John Stewart at one point. I would love to see that, though I fear WB will never take a chance on another GL movie.

He really does. Great actor, and built like a tank. I remember there were rumors about him playing John Stewart at one point. I would love to see that, though I fear WB will never take a chance on another GL movie.

I don’t care if it’s DC or Marvel, I’m down to see him as a superhero or villain!

John Stewart would have been great!

Wow I had no idea this was a thing until now because I've only been hearing about the Jamie Foxx project, but Trevante Rhodes looks great in this Mike Tyson.

I mean its not a stretch though because the dude has always been in crazy good shape and I'm glad to see him in something high profile again after the disaster that was The Predator.

Such an underrated and underutilized actor who deserves better in Hollywood and if anyone deserves to take over where Chadwick Boseman left off its him IMO.

Wow I had no idea this was a thing until now because I've only been hearing about the Jamie Foxx project, but Trevante Rhodes looks great in this Mike Tyson.

I mean its not a stretch though because the dude has always been in crazy good shape and I'm glad to see him in something high profile again after the disaster that was The Predator.

Such an underrated and underutilized actor who deserves better in Hollywood and if anyone deserves to take over where Chadwick Boseman left off its him IMO.
Yeah there aren't that many big name, big movie black character actors. Since Boseman passed I think Lakeith Stanfeld and Daniel Kaluuya. Obviously it's only a trailer but seeing Rhodes play a character like Tyson seems great to me :up:

Hold up, are there two Mike Tyson bios coming?

Like Aretha Franklin last year, a movie and miniseries? Didn’t the movie turn out better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"