Hype Movie Club

Sorry I’m late naming a category for May (I really gotta quit traveling at the end of the month), so I’m gonna make it super easy in honor of the unofficial kick-off of the summer movie season and go with the father of the summer blockbuster:

Steven Spielberg

Steven-Spielberg-Si-vous-ne-croyez-pas-aux-dinosaures-il-n-y-a-pas-de-films.jpg

Like before, directing and writing credits are fair game, as are series/franchises, while just producing credits are not. And just a reminder, the Indiana Jones series has already been done by the club, so those are off the table. Everybody gets UP TO FOUR picks, voting will be open thru Thursday!

My Stevie picks:

Amistad
Minority Report

The Jurassic Park series
The Jaws series

So I'm gonna pick Duel because I think everyone should see it as one of his underrated works that deserves more recognition...

and the other three picks are ones that I haven't seen yet:

Duel
Minority Report
Amistad
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (I actually have seen half of it but I don't remember anything)

Focusing on ones I haven't seen a million times:

Duel
ET
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
AI: Artificial Intelligence

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Minority Report
The Sugarland Express
War Horse

Picking only films I've yet to see. This'll be a good opportunity to go back to 1941 as well, I've got my blu-ray ready.

I'm down to clown with Spielberg. I'll go with:

Jurassic Park - I don't care if the whole movie is tattooed in my brain, I'm always good for a rewatch
Hook - Underrated but as a '90s kid I've always loved it
The Color Purple - Haven't seen it yet
Duel - Haven't seen it either but I'm intrigued because it's his first movie

Hook - Underrated but as a '90s kid I've always loved it
It’s so funny, but my friends who are 5-10 years younger than me love that movie whereas I, who was graduating college in the mid/later 90’s thought it was a huge miss.

This one is clearly a generational thing. I’d be interested in revisiting it now and also seeing how others feel upon revisiting it.

I have revisited Hook in the last year, and while I do actually kind of love it, as an adult I also find it quite sad because it feels like Spielberg bidding farewell to his inner-child, which is just a kind of depressing feeling.

That said, no lie, Captain Hook is easily my favorite Dustin Hoffman performance. He is soooooo good in that role imo.

It’s so funny, but my friends who are 5-10 years younger than me love that movie whereas I, who was graduating college in the mid/later 90’s thought it was a huge miss.

This one is clearly a generational thing. I’d be interested in revisiting it now and also seeing how others feel upon revisiting it.
It's definitely one of those movies like The Goonies where if you saw it as a kid and loved it you probably always will but if you saw it for the first time as an adult you most likely won't care for it. I first revisited it as an adult right after Robin Williams died and it especially struck a chord with me.

I have revisited Hook in the last year, and while I do actually kind of love it, as an adult I also find it quite sad because it feels like Spielberg bidding farewell to his inner-child, which is just a kind of depressing feeling.

That said, no lie, Captain Hook is easily my favorite Dustin Hoffman performance. He is soooooo good in that role imo.
I think Spielberg has even gone on record as saying it's his worst movie but I hope he at least realizes now that there are entire generations who grew up with Hook and loved it.

I might also have to agree with you about Hoffman. Hook might be my favorite performance of his too. Is it his best performance of all time? I wouldn't rank it above Rain Man, Tootsie, Kramer vs. Kramer or Midnight Cowboy but IMO he turned in an Oscar-worthy performance as Captain Hook. He DISAPPEARED into that role. I don't think we've seen a better Hook on film before or since, to be honest.

It's odd, for such an iconic director I've seen surprisingly few Spielberg films. However, at least one of them is on my all-time favourites list :word:

Jaws: easily one of my favourite films of all time. I recently bought a digital copy on Prime for five bucks so this is a good opportunity to re-visit and finally review the film.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: I've only seen this once, and that was years ago as a kid. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence: I've read about how divisive this film is, and the storied history behind its production. I never saw it but perhaps it's time.

Duel: Where it all began. Never saw it but I'll bite :up:

Funny thing about A.I., I watched it when it came out in theaters and haven't seen it since outside of maybe a few bits and pieces of it on television over the years but I remember practically everything about it. It's nowhere close to being one of my favorites from Spielberg but it's still stuck with me after all this time.

Jaws: easily one of my favourite films of all time. I recently bought a digital copy on Prime for five bucks so this is a good opportunity to re-visit and finally review the film.
It’s one of my favorites as well. In the last couple of years, some of my highlights of life has been introducing my youngest son to Jaws, Lost Boys, and the Rocky/Creed movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"