Hype TV Club Does FIREFLY in March

ComicChick

I Work Too Much
Staff member
Reaction score
2074xa1.jpg

FIREFLY

Any Hype members are welcome to join us in our viewing of these shows.
The Discussion/FAQ Thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=491461

The only rules are

• Only shows on the list will be selected
  • Only the first season is required for the monthly viewing. If a show has multiple seasons
  • Each show on the generator has a minimum of 10 episodes per season, if not, we will watch S1&2
  • ALL spoilers must be tagged as such, as none of us have seen these shows before aka don't be a jerk
  • Any posts not following the spoiler rule as subject to Deletion

This month we are watching Firefly, and in this thread we will be talking about our viewing experiences during the show. All are welcome to join, so let's have a great discussion about the show, characters likes/dislikes, episode reviews and more!

What is Firefly?
The series is set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star system and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship.
The show explores the lives of a group of people who fought on the losing side of a civil war and others who now make a living on the fringe of society, as part of the pioneer culture that exists on the fringes of their star system. In this future, the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures.

Awesome, I'm a big fan of Buffy and Angel, and never got around to checking out Firefly. Maybe it's about time I added some more Whedon to my life.

I might just stretch this out over a week since it's the show is about as short as Stewie.

i'm definitely going to space this out better as work will be picking up for me soon and i'll probably watch that movie tie-in too if i enjoy the show.

Adam Baldwin is in this and he was one of my favorite characters on Chuck.

Oh yay, another favorite show I can re-live vicariously through the TV Club! :up:

Adam Baldwin is in this and he was one of my favorite characters on Chuck.
You might end up loving him even more on this show. I loved John Casey, but Jayne is his best character to date, imo.

Also, I dunno how everyone's watching it, but BEWARE YOUR EPISODE ORDERS! The DVD's have 'em right. IMDB and Netflix have 'em wrong. The pilot is "Serenity" (the episode, not the movie), not "The Train Job." Though that one was written as a "replacement pilot, " so it also works as one.

Correct Order:
1. "Serenity" (the episode)
2. "The Train Job"
3. "Bushwacked"
4. "Shindig"
5. "Safe"
6. "Our Mrs. Reynolds"
7. "Jaynestown"
8. "Out of Gas"
9. "Ariel"
10. "War Stories"
11. "Trash"
12. "The Message"
13. "Heart of Gold"
14. "Objects in Space"

15. Serenity (the film)

Last edited:
FlickChick, you should join us whenever we have the Firefly Skype call. That way CC can have another gal pal besides whatever other female Skypster she killed last week.

Hmm...I did want to see this. I guess this would be a good time.

FlickChick, you should join us whenever we have the Firefly Skype call. That way CC can have another gal pal besides whatever other female Skypster she killed last week.
When do you all usually do the call?

When do you all usually do the call?

We usually do Skype calls every Friday and Saturday. CC is always complaining about the lack of a female, yet she is always heatbutting and burying any females that come for fear of them challenging her spot.

Lol, well now I'm scared. Realistically though, it might be tough for me to swing it. I generally work fairly late on Fri/Sat nights since I work at a theater, but if I get off early like I did last night, I'll try to join in.

God e-man could you paint a worse picture of me? It's such a lie.

I work every fri and sat night too flick chick, sometimes I just sign in on my phone at work to pass the time.

I do remember falling asleep during the first episode. Maybe I can try again?

I liked the 85 minute first episode... Curiously enough, my favourite characters are mostly not in the core crew of the Serenity, except for Jayne. Beside him, I really like Book and Inara. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Jayne, considering he's triggerhappy and borderline misogynistic-- and for a second it looked like
he was gonna rat on the crew à la Cypher from The Matrix. But I'm glad they didn't go that route with him.
But I like how he's this gruff badass that finds himself at odds with almost everyone.

Fillion is likeable, but I guess the other characters yet have to grow on me.

I like that there are no sound effects of the spaceship's engines when they're in space; remembering that space is a near-vacuum.

I do remember falling asleep during the first episode. Maybe I can try again?

yes try again. you fall asleep at random times all the time, so it probably wasn't the show's fault

Oh it was definitely the show's fault. But we'll see...the first episode is ridiculously long.

God e-man could you paint a worse picture of me? It's such a lie.

I work every fri and sat night too flick chick, sometimes I just sign in on my phone at work to pass the time.

I sure can.

ComicChick shot 2Pac AND Biggie.
She was also responsible for Vanilla Ice's career.
She is also the person that broke Kane's supercomputer.

I like that there are no sound effects of the spaceship's engines when they're in space; remembering that space is a near-vacuum.
This was probably my favorite thing about the show's aesthetic. At the time, I had never seen it done that way before, and I looooved it.

Glad you're already enjoying Jayne! He's hilarious, but he also becomes an increasingly interesting character as the show goes along, imo.

I sure can.

ComicChick shot 2Pac AND Biggie.
She was also responsible for Vanilla Ice's career.
She is also the person that broke Kane's supercomputer.

SqfhNZr.gif

I caught the first two episodes earlier before work, and so far it's got some good things going. I recall seeing some of it before, but it still felt new to me. The show reminds me a lot of Outlaw Star.

i plan on starting this tonight

just finished watching the pilot. it was pretty good. i recognize a lot of the actors from other things, even if i haven't seen those things. adam baldwin is one of my faves so i was glad to see him on this. i remember him and the lady playing Zoe playing bad guys on Angel, so i think Joss likes to keep his people in the business. i think that's cool.

Mal seems like he can't decide if he wants to keep his people close or far, but he takes care of them nonetheless. i don't wanna reveal anything yet since no one else has posted so i'll wait a bit. i will say i was wrong and i actually though
the shepperd was the mole

on to episode 2

just finished watching the pilot. it was pretty good. i recognize a lot of the actors from other things, even if i haven't seen those things. adam baldwin is one of my faves so i was glad to see him on this. i remember him and the lady playing Zoe playing bad guys on Angel, so i think Joss likes to keep his people in the business. i think that's cool.
Yeah, River (Summer Glau) was on an Angel episode that Joss directed too, before Firefly. She was the ballerina in that episode where they go see the "immortal" ballet troupe.

And of course, Fillion was a big villain on Buffy right after this, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"