Hype TV Club Does FIREFLY in March

Yeah, River (Summer Glau) was on an Angel episode that Joss directed too, before Firefly. She was the ballerina in that episode where they go see the "immortal" ballet troupe.

And of course, Fillion was a big villain on Buffy right after this, too.

i do remember her as the ballerina! gonna have to watch buffy one day :p

Jayne, Mal and Inara might be my favorites. actually, i kinda like them all but the doctor. river hasn't endeared me to her yet but she's obvious key to the long going plot i think.

society's opinion of companions is interesting lol
sometimes they intersperse another language when they talk, is it chinese?

i do remember her as the ballerina! gonna have to watch buffy one day :p

Jayne, Mal and Inara might be my favorites. actually, i kinda like them all but the doctor. river hasn't endeared me to her yet but she's obvious key to the long going plot i think.

society's opinion of companions is interesting lol
sometimes they intersperse another language when they talk, is it chinese?
Yeah, the idea is that when humanity left Earth, the two world superpowers were the U.S. and China, so their cultures are the most prominent. Most people speak both English and Chinese, and you'll see a lot of Asian influences throughout. Companions are supposed to be reminiscent of geisha's more than anything else, even though those are Japanese and not Chinese.

And girl, you've seen all of Angel but never watched Buffy?! That's just straight-up wacky! :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Yeah, the idea is that when humanity left Earth, the two world superpowers were the U.S. and China, so their cultures are the most prominent. Most people speak both English and Chinese, and you'll see a lot of Asian influences throughout. Companions are supposed to be reminiscent of geisha's more than anything else, even though those are Japanese and not Chinese.

And girl, you've seen all of Angel but never watched Buffy?! That's just straight-up wacky! :oldrazz:

if you'll recall from way back in the buffy thread, the first and pretty much only episodes of buffy i've seen were graduation day, and that pushed into angel premiering right after. i've seen a few buffy episodes over the years, but never the whole thing. i'd really like to one day as i really enjoyed angel a lot

awww i just started episode 5. look a lil zac efron

if you'll recall from way back in the buffy thread, the first and pretty much only episodes of buffy i've seen were graduation day, and that pushed into angel premiering right after. i've seen a few buffy episodes over the years, but never the whole thing. i'd really like to one day as i really enjoyed angel a lot
I vaguely recall seeing you mention that. I actually never saw EITHER show while they were airing. Got the DVD's, watched 'em in order (including when the two shows were meant to be watched in parallel). So it's hard for me to even imagine what Angel's like without Buffy, lol. They're both great, though. But if you forced me to choose I would say Buffy was the better show. It just pushed the medium in some really fascinating (and in some cases, groundbreaking) ways. Definitely worth the 144-episode commitment (and yes, I just knew that number off the top of my head so you understand the level of my devotion), lol.

With regard to the Mandarin Chinese sometimes spoken in the show, I only have the most basic knowledge of Mandarin, and I have trouble understanding the phrases sometimes because of the actors' pronunciation. Still, it's funny to hear them say stuff like 'Wo de tian a!' (something like 'Good heavens!') or 'Zaogao!' ('Darn!'). :p

For a little while I thought it meant that they were just speaking Mandarin all the time, and that the phrases were thrown in to drive this home, but now I realize that they speak both English and Chinese.

I watched 4 episodes of this so far because I'm trying to stretch it out a bit. They have a real nice camaraderie on this show with the crew of the Serenity. I feel that the characters can sometimes ring hollow with the jokes they work well together. That all worked so well when they were being interrogated in episode 3 by the Alliance guy from Melrose Place. The effects look cheap even for their time, but it doesn't matter since the story is the strong suit here. It makes me want to watch Babylon 5 beyond the few episodes I did because that show had a great plot and super cheap CGI.

I do keep waiting for River Tam to start whupping peoples asses. Since I have seen Serenity twice before this show I keep on thinking that it's just around the corner where she beats up people with the kung of fu.

I might start watching it next week since i'm off all week.

Oh ****! Kane got fired! For stealing boxes on his day off?! DAMN!

Man I wrote a killer response and the signal is so bad out here in the sticks that I lost connection and it didn't go through.

It's cool to see some doctors who guest starred in here that are pretty prominent on Tv and film today. Zac efron in a flashback scene, the guy playing badger, and Christina Hendricks was very prominent in episode six that I just finished.

I was hoping the last scene would end differently but I really liked the path they took with it lol. I look forward to seeing where that goes
when mal thought sapphron drugged inara

Last edited:
Man I wrote a killer response and the signal is so bad out here in the sticks that I lost connection and it didn't go through.

It's cool to see some doctors who guest starred in here that are pretty prominent on Tv and film today. Zac efron in a flashback scene, the guy playing badger, and Christina Hendricks was very prominent in episode six that I just finished.

I was hoping theast scene would end differently but I really liked the path they took with it lol. I look forward to seeing where that goes
when mal thought sapphron drugged inara

Oh... Oh CC... Are you as a lady in for a treat when [BLACKOUT]our Mrs. Reynolds makes her return, [/BLACKOUT], let's just say they add a little shot in there just for the ladies... And Sawyer. :woot:

I like superb SFX as much as the next guy, and sure there are moments when the budget they have to work with is apparent, but frankly, it never takes me out of the story in the least. Maybe it's low standards or being old enough to remember when Sci Fi shows reused SFX footage every single episode, but FIREFLY still holds up for me effects wise in comparison to many other shows.

And CC, what were you hoping would happen between Saphron and Mal at the end? That she'd join the crew or something similar?

And CC, what were you hoping would happen between Saphron and Mal at the end? That she'd join the crew or something similar?

i didn't really care what happened with saphron and mal. i didn't really care about her as a villain much.

i dunno. i just like the pairing of the two (mal and inara). she criticizes him for being a thief, and he criticizes her for being a companion. it seems like they both genuinely care for each other, be it as friends or more. but they can't seem to get past the judgement of each other's profession
i mean he defended her honor and called her a ****e in the same breath pretty much lol.
i don't really see her joining the crew, but i kinda see her as part of the crew since they seem to use (or can use) her connections when landing on certain planets etc

Last edited:
He was talking about Saffron (Christina Hendricks), CC, not Inara. It seemed like you were hoping her story would go another way?

no i was hoping when Inara revealed that she too had fallen to the goodnight kiss, or whatever that compound was called, mal would've realized that she had to have touched his lips for it to happen. instead he thought she had made out with sapphron lol
total guy move

no i was hoping when Inara revealed that she too had fallen to the goodnight kiss, or whatever that compound was called, mal would've realized that she had to have touched his lips for it to happen. instead he thought she had made out with sapphron lol
total guy move
Oh haha, ok. Yeah, I was hoping for that too, but they decided to go "funny" instead. Boo.

i booed at first, but it was pretty funny

I'm 8 episodes in now. I kinda feel a little bit of a lull with the Out of Gas episode, but the show hasn't really gotten turrible turrible or anything. I did like how Jayne was worshiped in that one town. That was pretty funny. The cast's chemistry really does well when it comes to the comedic parts.

One thing that's starting to bug me is that they are using old guns similar to the old west. This is a series set in a world where intergalactic travel has been mastered, yet they're still using old ass guns like some cowboys? I know that's the theme of the show, but it looks silly sometimes. I dealt with it in Cowboy Bebop though, so I'm not going to give this show a hard time regarding that aspect. I keep thinking that maybe the Alliance soldiers use laser based weapons, or anything that displays some kind of advancement in weapons tech. It's too bad we don't really see too many battles with them right now, but that's only because this is one season. I imagine things would be fleshed out more if they had more time. There would have been more time, but some guy with glasses and a bunch of books took it all up.

Oh man, "Out of Gas" was my favorite episode of the series. It gets me a little choked up every time.

One thing that's starting to bug me is that they are using old guns similar to the old west. This is a series set in a world where intergalactic travel has been mastered, yet they're still using old ass guns like some cowboys? I know that's the theme of the show, but it looks silly sometimes. I dealt with it in Cowboy Bebop though, so I'm not going to give this show a hard time regarding that aspect. I keep thinking that maybe the Alliance soldiers use laser based weapons, or anything that displays some kind of advancement in weapons tech. It's too bad we don't really see too many battles with them right now, but that's only because this is one season. I imagine things would be fleshed out more if they had more time. There would have been more time, but some guy with glasses and a bunch of books took it all up.

With most science fiction films and shows, it always bothered me how inefective ray gun were in comparison to normal guns, in a realistic Science fiction work, i think ray guns would most likely only be used in space, where normal guns wouldn't work.

in the war sequence in the beginning, they had laser guns and more modern weapons. with the opening monologue and all, i figured the alliance has control of all the more modern tech and weaponry and the other kinds of weapons were sold more black market style and were cheaper to get, especially in the more derelict/poorer planets

jaynestown was pretty funny for the most part and the cast really does play off each other well. you can tell they had fun doing this show and seem like they're all close off-camera. the whole bar scene with The Ballad of Jayne lol and the way they cracked on each other was reminiscent to the way they teased Mal when he got married. those are parts of the show i really liked.

i cracked up at River and Zoe's reaction to Sheppard's hair lol.

Oh man, "Out of Gas" was my favorite episode of the series. It gets me a little choked up every time.

i just finished that one. i thought it was a good episode. the crew obviously is like a family now. zoe pushed kaylee out of the way to save her, mal sending everyone off trying to save them, etc etc.

onto episode 9

My fave part of Out of Gas? Wash's mustache. Like, you just know that's the reason Zoe didn't trust him. As soon as Wash figured that out I think he shaved, and then romance started.

You might end up loving him even more on this show. I loved John Casey, but Jayne is his best character to date, imo.

Also, I dunno how everyone's watching it, but BEWARE YOUR EPISODE ORDERS! The DVD's have 'em right. IMDB and Netflix have 'em wrong. The pilot is "Serenity" (the episode, not the movie), not "The Train Job." Though that one was written as a "replacement pilot, " so it also works as one.

Correct Order:
1. "Serenity" (the episode)
2. "The Train Job"
3. "Bushwacked"
4. "Shindig"
5. "Safe"
6. "Our Mrs. Reynolds"
7. "Jaynestown"
8. "Out of Gas"
9. "Ariel"
10. "War Stories"
11. "Trash"
12. "The Message"
13. "Heart of Gold"
14. "Objects in Space"

15. Serenity (the film)

i'm so glad i remembered this post. i just finished war stories and it was jumping into heart of gold i think. the only reason i noticed is during the "previously on" part, i didn't remember any of those things happening lol

So I tried watching the first episode again...and man it was kinda hard to get through. I did finish this time and I have to say, I wasn't feeling it. I thought the pace was too slow, none of the dialogue grabbed me and I guess I thought they tried a bit too hard by making it cinematic. It didn't work for me.

However...I went ahead and saw the 2nd episode and I don't know what they changed, but I enjoyed it so much more. I think I finished episode 4 where they were in that high society dance party. I think most of the characters are pretty cool, they seem like if Han Solo had a ragtag team doing jobs. I wish Joss Whedon had made that Wonder Woman movie because I know for sure Morena Baccarin was gonna be up for the part. She's just :hmr:

glad you stuck through it kane :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"