HYPESTERS MOVIE DRAFT General Thread

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
dll4TQt.png

WELCOME TO THE HYPESTERS MOVIE DRAFT

In trying to bring some life back into the Hype, I've constructed a new game that hopefully will be a lot of fun thanks to the guys over at The Big Picture podcast for the idea. Now you might be asking, what is a movie draft? well, if you're any bit of a fan of sports, you might have an idea of what this is.

The Hypesters Movie Draft is where a group of individuals are task to select a wide variety of films in a particular year that fits into several genre categories (ex: Blockbuster, comedy, horror, animation, ect.) Once we have a group of people locked in, I will randomize the order in which we pick. We will then pick the films in snake order style (ex: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1) until all the categories are filled. In order to do this without lag between picks, all participants must be available at in real time at a certain time and date. Once the draft is complete, a poll will be created to pick the winner of the draft by popular opinion. The poll will remain active for a week before the winner is crowned as Draft Champion of that year.

The Official 8 Categories

BLOCKBUSTER
DRAMA
COMEDY
HORROR
ANIMATED
FOREIGN LANGUAGE
SEQUEL
WILD CARD

Ground Rules

1. The film has to have a theatrical/video/online release in the United Sates in the same draft year.

For instance, you can't pick a movie for the 2008 draft that was apart of a film festival in 2008, but had an official theatrical release in 2009. To verify if the film you want counts, look on IMDB for the USA release date (ex: The Dark Knight (2008) - Release Info - IMDb )

2. The film has to match the category you selected.

This can be very tricky as some films can fit in multiple categories, but for example if you're picking Iron Man (2008), you can't place that in Comedy or Drama as it's doesn't really fall into either category. A movie like Iron Man (2008) will fall only into Blockbuster or Wildcard where as a movie like Frankenweenie (2012) can fit into Animated or Horror. I know a lot of movies fall into a grey area like dramaedies (which you can put into Comedy or Drama) and it's something that can be hard to place into a category, but I trust the participants to use their best judgement and also use IMDB for help.

3. Details on certain categories.

For Blockbuster, I define that as a film that has reached $100 million or more in its original USA domestic box office release. To verify if the film counts as a blockbuster, use BoxOfficeMojo. If the draft is previous to the year 2000, I can modify the amount required at a later date.

Animated is defined as fully 2D, 3D, or Claymation/Stop Motion. Live action/Animated hybrids do not count.

Foreign Language is defined here as a film not spoken in the English language or not made in the USA, Canada, Australia or UK/British Isles. There is a bit of a grey area here as well, so participants should use their best judgement.

Sequel can be any film after the original film in the franchise. Prequels do count as well.

Wild Card is any film you want.

Hypesters Movie Draft Participants
1. @Kane52630
2. @flickchick85
3. @DarthSkywalker
4. @DarkSovereignty
5. @Kaleb

Last edited:
***post reserved for trophy room ***

I want to start our first with just 5 participants just as a trial run. So I am looking for 2 more dedicated Hypesters that will accept the challenge.

Awesome, I'm going to do 5 for just the trial run and then the next draft I can probably add a couple more if the demand is there.

In the meantime we can discuss which year we want to do for our first draft and when do you want it to take place.
I suggest we do 1999.

That's a good year.

Awesome, looking forward to this.

@Kane52630 We might want to rethink the "Sequels" category, as I'm not sure there are even enough sequels given wide US releases in 1999 for us all to even pick one, if any sequels get picked in, say, the "blockbuster" or "animated" category by others. Unless a movie can be chosen twice if it's in a different category?

Next Sunday? If there is a slot open, I can do it.
You're in. :up:

@Kane52630 We might want to rethink the "Sequels" category, as I'm not sure there are even enough sequels given wide US releases in 1999 for us all to even pick one, if any sequels get picked in, say, the "blockbuster" or "animated" category by others. Unless a movie can be chosen twice if it's in a different category?

That is true, I guess we can skip the "Sequels" category for this one until we have a draft that's within the last 10+ years.

Also I suddenly remembered that the Oscars are this Sunday. I guess we can move it at a later date? or do you guys want to have the draft at a earlier time on Sunday?

Looks good to me.

Announcement:

Due to my busy schedule, I am postponing the 2010 Movie Draft at a later date. Hopefully I can have some downtime before July to properly produce this draft and rework the rules.​

Great, I was just about to post that I probably wasn't able to make it today.

Yeah I wasn't gonna be able to make it either, so this is good.

Unfortunately Sundays (and weekends in general) aren’t likely going to work for me anymore, but I realize that’s probably the best time for everyone else, so y’all should go ahead without me. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"