I feel bad for D & D

Season 6 and 7 have been two of my favorites, along side 1 and 4. So really don't feel bad.

I agree. 3 was good too IMO.

Though for all the hate Season 5 gets....it also have us Hardhome. :woot:

Some fanatics are too quick to crucify D&D. It's not their fault GRRM is taking his time. The show may be moving at a faster pace but it's still just as good to me. The first half of season 5 was lacking but besides that it's been awesome. The books and the show are taking different paths but they'll both have the same general outcome.

Some fanatics are too quick to crucify D&D. It's not their fault GRRM is taking his time. The show may be moving at a faster pace but it's still just as good to me. The first half of season 5 was lacking but besides that it's been awesome. The books and the show are taking different paths but they'll both have the same general outcome.

They've changed too much for that to be possible.

Loras in the novels is pretty much a Tyrell version of Jaimie, emphasis on Jaimie's martial skills and more knightly virtues (bravery, boldness, dedication, and dangerous fighting abilities). And to use a TV Tropes phrase, he, like Book!Renly, is also more of a "Straight Gay;" a person whose manner of carrying themselves and interests fit the heteronormative stereotype, but still has a romantic focus on the same sex. He's almost literally Jaimie 2.0, but further back in his story and with a different social taboo; he joins the Kingsguard to protect his sister, has a powerful and overriding loyalty to his love, is somewhat defined by how dangerous of a horseman and jousted he is, and even his hubristic mistake in the last book is a macho badass move. Jaime actually warns him about the potential mistakes he could find in his his way, but still acknowledges that without his own sword hand, Loras might be the most dangerous and skilled warrior in the Kingsguard.

Contrast that with TV!Loras, who, after the Tourney of the Hand (which in the TV show left out his previous impressive victories without the "mare in heat" trick) and his actions in Season 2, never really has his "manly" traits emphasized again, and seems to play more to a stereotype of what a homosexual would be at the time.

Please note, I'm an evangelical straight guy, but that's how I see the difference. I will admit that it's conceivable they wanted to showcase a more openly gay individual to out modern eyes, but I can't comment on whether or not that was the right choice.

While that's true, I think that's partly because he was the heir to Highgarden so his overall story had to change and they ended up merging him with his brothers. He couldn't be the mini-Jaime that he is in the book.

They really screwed up Renly though. The scene with him talking about his fear of blood was something else. :funny:

Not their fault.

GRRM is too busy selling GoT keychains and filling his bathub with millions and strippers. I got them writer block! Eh, I think we are going to need a zombie polar bear here somewhere.

I agree. 3 was good too IMO.

Though for all the hate Season 5 gets....it also have us Hardhome. :woot:

Season 5 may be the nadir of the series, but I think the whole Jon/Night's Watch storyline is great. The point is that even when GOT is at its worst, there's still a lot to love.

There's often a fine line between legitimate criticism and nonconstructive nitpicking and bashing, and D&D regularly receive both. There's a way to appreciate what they've done well and point out their flaws, both in making a TV show that stands on its own and in adapting GRRM's work. And when looking at it as adaptation you shouldn't confuse it with recreation. There might be a lot of elements you prefer in the books, but you have to remember that the show could not ever be the books. To adapt means to change, to fit it to a different medium.

I accept that they have had to change and omit things but there have been times where I've really questioned their judgment. But post Season 5 I had to drastically lower my expectations to continue enjoying the show.

At least the show is ending with season 8, so that there will be closure, conclusions and pay-offs with some of the storylines. I felt some of the arcs dragged on far longer than they should have, but I get it, it's a huge money-maker for HBO.

I'm happy and to be honest RELIEVED they will end the series after season 8. GoT is not one show I want to see become stale season after season after season. Look at ER for example!

Season 6 and 7 have been two of my favorites, along side 1 and 4. So really don't feel bad.

Agreeded

From what I've heard, D&D themselves felt like 7-8 seasons would be enough. HBO had said that they'd be more than happy to let the show run longer (it is a rating boom for them).

Im sure HBO would have been fine with more seasons...but I think having an ending before the show over stays its welcome is a good thing.

Plus im sure Kit would like to be able to cut his hair before he's 40

(also side note I hope someone bribes the DJ or Band at Kit and Rose's wedding to play the rains of Castamere lolz)

D&D have exposed their greatest flaws as writers. They're good at adapting another person's work, when they have it as a guide to crib from. But when it comes to coming up with their own material, they're not nearly as effective.

Beinoff did write the screenplay for Troy after all

For the most part, I think D&D are doing a fantastic job. Sure, there are some things here and there I don't care for, and the Dorne plotline was completely wasted, but this notion that the writing went downhill once they ran of book material seems flawed. Some of the best and fist pumping scenes happened for me in seasons 6 and 7. Heck, I wish we had less Dany and the Greyjoys and more Sandor and Tormund bickering back and forth. And the revelation who Jon's parents really are was one of the most beautifully shot scenes in the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"