• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Sequels Ian McKellen interested in returning...

the a1ant

Awesome
Reaction score
http://inthenews.co.uk/entertainment/films/sir-ian-mckellen-on-magneto-spin-off-movie-$1231316.htm

Sir Ian McKellen has revealed he would happy to star in a film about Magneto, his character in the X-Men franchise.

Speaking ahead of the all-night screening of the comic book trilogy at the BFI Imax cinema in London, the actor said he would be enthusiastic to appear in a spin-off movie concerning the character.

"I think it's a very good series," he told the BBC News website.

"There is a script knocking around for a spin-off, but it will be a younger Magneto, so if I were involved it would just be topping and tailing the story."

Sir Ian first appeared as Magneto in Bryan Singer's X-Men in 2000, reprising the role for two sequels.

Well, he didn't actually say he was 'interested', 'excited' or 'happy' to do it. He just mentioned it and said: "There is a script knocking around for a spin-off, but it will be a younger Magneto, so if I were involved it would just be topping and tailing the story."

Here's my report on it:http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/07/mags.html

And my blogs on his appearance at the London IMAX X-Men screenings:
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/07/xmen-trilogy-imax-screening-a.html

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/07/ian-mckellen-reveals-how-and-w.html

Hope he's involved even it's to do a voiceover narration. McKellen elevates the level of quality of most of the movies he's been in especially that of X-Men IMO.

Hope he's involved even it's to do a voiceover narration. McKellen elevates the level of quality of most of the movies he's been in especially that of X-Men IMO.

Agreed. If a Magneto movie gets made, I'd like to see McKellen at the beginning, the end, and as a narrator. That would be a really nice touch.

Yeah, agreed with you Retroman, I want him involved in some way, no matter how minimal.

haha the only one that comes to mind that was a dud despite him having a (very small) role in it, was Last Action Hero.

Although, even still, he was quite badass in it, even it was a puny role.

Ian McKellen is currently starring in a theatre production alongside Patrick Stewart and he talked a little about X-men while promoting that.

Everything changed with Richard III (1995), in which he portrayed Shakespeare's villain king as a sort of 1930s British Nazi. “I wrote the screenplay and helped to cast it and produce it and helped to raise money for it and was thoroughly involved in it,” he says. “ And that brought me to the attention of lots of people who might not have known about me otherwise.”

In particular, Bryan Singer, who cast him again as a Nazi in the film of Stephen King's Apt Pupil (1998). “He's just done Valkyrie,” notes McKellen. “He's got a thing about Nazis, hasn't he?” X-Men (2000), also directed by Singer, was the last time he teamed up with Patrick Stewart. For a while, this almost scuppered the role for which, so far, he is most likely to be remembered - that of Gandalf, in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy. “I don't know how I got it,” he says. “I think I was low down on a list that started with Sean Connery and Anthony Hopkins. And then, having accepted, I had to turn it down, because of the dates.” In the end, Singer let him get to New Zealand in time. Fairly frequently, he's taken for Dumbledore. “I was going along the South Bank the other day and there was a man all dressed with a pointy hat and a stick. One of these mannequins who don't move until you give them money. I said, ‘Look! He's Gandalf!' Then I got close, and he wasn't. He was Dumbledore. But I think I play the best wizard. The wizard from whom all other wizards stem.”
Source:http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/theatre/article6111222.ece

Xavier inexplicably growing up to have a British accent even though he was born and raised in new york, but it's never specifically told in the movies where xavier is from, so I can buy that in the movie universe he's British... what I can't get over is the fact that they go right out and tell you that magneto is a jew, and that he was alive during the holocaust, but he somehow grew up to have a British accent. That always bothered me about ians portrayal of megneto, I'm a nitpicker, so what.

Well, we only see him in Poland when he's a boy. He's an older man now, and we don't know where he lived in between. He could have moved to England as a young man.

If there is a Magneto film Ian should appear at the end playing chess and getting his powers back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"