Sequels Magneto is kinda dead

Electrix

Avenger
Reaction score
Lauren Shuler Donner on Magneto:

"David Goyer has written a brilliant script. It starts in the concentration camps and has Magneto coming out of there. But you know, I'm not sure that film is going to be made. The studio has a wealth of potential stories, and they have to stand back and decide which ones to make. And Magneto, I think, is at the back of the queue. Maybe it'll get made in five years - who knows? I can tell you that Ian McKellen won't be playing the character the whole way through. We used Lola technology in X-Men 3 to de-age Ian and Patrick for one scene, but it's very expensive. To do that for a two-hour movie would be prohibitive financially. And to find a younger actor to fill Ian's shoes, that's pretty daunting. It's not easy."
http://www.empireonline.com/features/future-of-x-men-franchise/4.asp

I'd rather get a Magneto movie in 5 years than have David Goyer direct it next year.

Fox has the opportunity to doing something new and tell a story from the villain's pov that will probably deal with alot of drama but no they rather poop out another generic Wolverine And Some Mutants action movie.

I can't say I'm surprised.

Last edited:
Sadly, Wolverine comes first. Amazing how Wolverine 2 is furthest along even though the Magneto script has been ready for ages and the First Class script was supposedly finished ages ago!

I agree. Amazing, indeed.

And isn't Wolverine 2 not even written yet? They just announced the screenwriter a few weeks ago.

And without Magneto, the X-Men Origins series has just one movie - the first Wolverine. Some series!

It's ridiculous. They wanted to start the Wolverine spinoff with the Japan movie, but Fox made them to an Origins movie first - for the the character with the most convoluted back story, most of which doesn't fit in a PG-13 rated film.

They should have just left the ending where Wolverine leaves at the end X3, had him go off to Japan for the spinoff, and then commited the "Origins" series to stuff like Magneto and First Class.

Fox... :whatever:

The problem for fans is that it all feels unplanned, unstructured... although it's the same story with Warner Bros superhero movies too. Only Marvel seems to have a grand plan...

And isn't Wolverine 2 not even written yet? They just announced the screenwriter a few weeks ago.

Surely, McQuarrie isn’t that far along? I suppose that means Fox is currently throwing more resources and support behind the Wolverine sequel than the other spin-offs.

The problem for fans is that it all feels unplanned, unstructured... although it's the same story with Warner Bros superhero movies too. Only Marvel seems to have a grand plan...

Given Donner’s comments about rebooting Deadpool, and unless First Class gives more care to continuity and explanation than the likes of Wolverine’s Sabretooth, I’m beginning to fear the movies may feel unstructured and a bit confusing to general fans as well, unless that’s who you are referring to by fans.

Surely, McQuarrie isn’t that far along? I suppose that means Fox is currently throwing more resources and support behind the Wolverine sequel than the other spin-offs.

I think that's it.

Given Donner’s comments about rebooting Deadpool, and unless First Class gives more care to continuity and explanation than the likes of Wolverine’s Sabretooth, I’m beginning to fear the movies may feel unstructured and a bit confusing to general fans as well, unless that’s who you are referring to by fans.

I think the general viewer won't be following (or remembering) all these various projects and the status of each one.

Even Ian McKellen himself seemed only vaguely aware of Magneto in a recent Empire interview at a film festival.

Hugh was on Katie Couric's webshow about two weeks ago, and he said it was being worked on, but it didn't sound like it was anywhere close to being done.

He's doing a play for the rest of the year, and he mentioned 2 other film projects that he's got going on after that, so it sounds like it will be awhile before any Wolverine sequel is ready to go.

I love Hugh as Wolverine and I wouldn't mind seeing the Japan movie (although I'm enjoying having him back on Broadway more), but I'm dying to see some of the other stuff they've got planned for X-Men too. You'd think they were further along with the other projects.

They need Wolverine out because Hugh is getting older. Plus Wolverine is probably the only X-men movie outside of X-4 that can hold its own against the other heavy wight CB movies due out in the next three years or so.

They need Wolverine out because Hugh is getting older. Plus Wolverine is probably the only X-men movie outside of X-4 that can hold its own against the other heavy wight CB movies due out in the next three years or so.

That's what I was thinking too. Hugh turned 41 this week, he ain't getting any younger.

And I'm sure he'd eventually like the move on from Wolverine as well. Although during the interview he said he'll do the sequel because he loves the part - he said he definitely doesn't need the money. :up:

I cant picture Wolverine without Hugh, i mean he is wolverine lol

Not surprised. Never really bought that Magneto would ever get a solo movie. Wouldn't really work. Wolverine was a huge bust too IMHO.

Venom IMHO won't happen either.

I stopped believing the Magneto movie was going to happen as soon as I heard that the script was finished and it still wasn't going any further then that.

Spin offs are a tricky business and even when they do come out they usually suck. I wouldn't consider Wolverine much of a spin off because Wolverine already was the main character in several films. Magneto was more of a risk. Even more so because McKellen wasn't likely to be in it.

I was wondering what was going on with the Magneto movie. Haven't heard anything in a long time. Now I know.

I wouldn't mind someone filling Ian's shoes, if they have the stuff. I like IM as much as the next guy, but I don't feel he is the be-all end-all of the character.

If they were starting at WWII, they'd have to go with a younger actor. But let the story lead up to the point where Ian McKellen would be able to play him too would have been perfect. He was one of my favorite actors in the X-Men movies.

Not surprised. Never really bought that Magneto would ever get a solo movie. Wouldn't really work. Wolverine was a huge bust too IMHO.

Venom IMHO won't happen either.
Agreed on all points. Wolverine was a hit movie but it's terrible quality will kill the series sooner rather than later.

The words "Goyer", "brilliant", and "script" apparently can be in close proximity to one another. Hard to believe.

And the one time he -allegedly- writes a brilliant script, they're not making the movie..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"