If you could design the Smallville version of the Superman costume?

i gotta say superfreak, i got chills reading your ending with supes being caught on camera. that would be a really good ending ESPECIALLY if they cannot legally show Tom in the suit. the home footage could even have audio of people doing the typical, is it a bird, is it a plane....however if they can show him, it would be perfect IMO if the final shot was the typical Superman fly off into the camera with him smiling, but that probably wont happen and is just a dream:woot:

anyway, great idea

thanks man totally. Also, as Clark is leaving (before the last commercial break) Martha could run out, and give him a package that 'he might find useful' etc.

there's a bunch of nice little touches that can be thrown in... but I prefer the show remain a tease, as it always has been... One Gigantic 7 Year Cliffhanger.

oh yeah, and whoever mentioned seeing Vader in full costume in ROTS. That's the worst example you could have ever given. Infact, it's one of the reasons I'm against seeing TW up close and personal in the costume. Seeing Vader in Full Costume was great, and I dorked out. But what was done with that whole scene was nut crunchingly painful. I don't want SV to go down that route... because if they goof it up... it'll be really bad (and this is SV people, goofin up is what they are in business for)

They did that in Spider-man 1, before you see him in the suit properly, & it was great, it could work very well for smallville, but have it happen a few years after sv finishes, as in 4 or 5 years later (in the show of course, not actually in 4 - 5 years time lol) as Lois & Lex & whoever else shudn't be able to recognize clark as Supes, & a few years away from him would help...

the actual time is irrelevant really, just as long as we know that time has passed, and that relative normality has returned to Smallville after whatever mayhem occurs earlier in the series finale.

Heck, what if it's something like the scenes in STM, after the helicopter rescue, where we see glimpses of what happened on television screens that people are congregating around (and Martha hears it back in Smallville like Superfreak says), and we see Clark amongst a group of people, he smiles and exits frame. I dunno...so many possibilities, so many of them good. Though I think you're right, too, MJZ...it'd be great if they really went all out for the finale. I'm personally hoping for an extended-length episode.

that'd be cool too. With Clark watching on the tvs, then he fades off into the crowd, blending in perfectly until you lose sight of him. That would also be a cool ending after whatever superfeat occurs.

I think it would be brilliant if they made the out of the closet superfeat, the helocopter rescue. It would tie everything together into a nice story, where the parts fit together, but vaguely.

Ok, if that happened, I'd be an uncontrollably ecstatic camper.
Then prepare for uncontrollable ecstatics. You probably will get your wish, as will I...

"This is a story that definitely has an end. At a certain point [Clark] goes to the Fortress of Solitude, becomes Superman and flies off. That's the story. We don't want to be one of those shows that overstays its welcome."

- Al Gough, in an interview with the LA Times on November 10, 2006​

I think Birthright is a good blueprint for it...

At the same time, I"d like to see SV do their own thing and not just do it the way STM and SR did. Something more original hopefully.

Heck, what if it's something like the scenes in STM, after the helicopter rescue, where we see glimpses of what happened on television screens that people are congregating around (and Martha hears it back in Smallville like Superfreak says), and we see Clark amongst a group of people, he smiles and exits frame. I dunno...so many possibilities, so many of them good. Though I think you're right, too, MJZ...it'd be great if they really went all out for the finale. I'm personally hoping for an extended-length episode.

oh yea, im hoping for a two hour finale (pretty much a movie...:woot: )

Then prepare for uncontrollable ecstatics. You probably will get your wish, as will I...

"This is a story that definitely has an end. At a certain point [Clark] goes to the Fortress of Solitude, becomes Superman and flies off. That's the story. We don't want to be one of those shows that overstays its welcome."

- Al Gough, in an interview with the LA Times on November 10, 2006​
I remember reading that, having momentary geek joy, and then remembering...we've got a while yet before the end, whatever it may be, comes to be. It's great that they've got it in mind, but until we get darn close and we hear further talk of it...I'm gonna have to keep control just a weeee bit longer. But thanks for the reminder :p

stanley-supercran2.jpg

superman.jpg

dcdkcsuperman.jpg

Superman_battle.jpg

funny-pictures-dominican-superman-SAo.jpg

here are some more costume alternates to spark more conversation/debate

i personally love the first pic above, it is extremely classic, yet the colors seem a little richer and the \S/ is quite larger as well, which works great on a large chest, which Tom can pull off. of course you could always go with the last image to be safe, who doesnt like that...:woot:

Now, I'm just throwing this out there (because I do think the McG suit looks darn cool, too), but is Superman really a person to "keep up with the times"? I've always seen him as a person whose ideals and what-not are more of another time, a more idealistic time, and who isn't very much concerned with being the most up-to-date.
However, maybe SV's Clark isn't really like that. As long as we see SOMETHING of a Superman suit that is predominately Classic in the series finale, I will be a happy camper.

I dont think the character himself is a person to keep up with fashions. Smallville's Clark is a perfect example of someone who dresses to please himself and to heck with what others think. Mind you he looks darn good in whatever he wears, or doesnt wear anyway. :cwink:

I just think that the character needs to keep in touch with the audience and the times, and maybe wearing red underwear on the outside isnt such a cool and fashionable idea in this day and age.

I dont think the character himself is a person to keep up with fashions. Smallville's Clark is a perfect example of someone who dresses to please himself and to heck with what others think. Mind you he looks darn good in whatever he wears, or doesnt wear anyway. :cwink:

I just think that the character needs to keep in touch with the audience and the times, and maybe wearing red underwear on the outside isnt such a cool and fashionable idea in this day and age.
I gotcha. The red underwear thing is a tricky issue, when it comes to contemporary appeal of the character. In my experience, people who care about the character at all are pretty forgiving of the him wearing red briefs on the outside. Of course, there are always those who have to nitpick the character, often starting with the briefs. I'm not against the outer-undies, but I also think that if the right time comes along, and the right re-design of the costume without them comes along, then go for it. As long as the costume still says "Superman" when you look at it.

...As long as the costume still says "Superman" when you look at it.
supermen.jpg

^ Too many people want to "fix" that, but the truth is, it aint broke.

Now, I cant TOTALLY understand where Avid is coming from. Stepping *into* the fiction, can anybody really see SV's Clark Kent actually wearing something like that, especially when he's already said, "I hate costumes" (Thirst)?

Maybe.

His personality says flannel, jeans and work boots, but his "image" says blue T-shirt and red jacket. In episodes like Lineage and Jinx, they gave him bright red socks, and in Pilot, Talisman and Crusade, he "wore" red blankets over his shoulder. Classic stuff LOL. What I am surprised at however is they didn't give him red briefs in episodes like Slumber, Mortal or Aqua. But hey, at least they were red in Memoria...

...Ah, Memoria. Those trunks.... :eek: LOLOL!!!!

Crap. My train of thought just went *poof*

Yeah, I was right there with ya, and then.......poof. where am I.

Hopefully...well, it'd be nice if they began to address (still with subtlety but strong intention) WHY Clark chooses to wear the costume...whatever version it may be.

P.S: You're right. It definitely ain't broke. Great collected images.

Yeah, I was right there with ya, and then.......poof. where am I.

Hopefully...well, it'd be nice if they began to address (still with subtlety but strong intention) WHY Clark chooses to wear the costume...whatever version it may be.

P.S: You're right. It definitely ain't broke. Great collected images.

i agree 100%. AgentPat already posted some great pics from some of the episodes where Clark may get inspiration, but I would love to see even more insight to 'wearing the suit'

Yeah, those are well-chosen pics for reference, especially the Krypton memory & baby blanket stills, but the closer we get to the series' finale, I feel they need to begin...condensing that approach. Make the references, the hints, the nudges, the set-ups a bit more potent and, without being terribly obvious (or cheesy), more easily recognizable.

Well, we've got one major one pretty much taken care of. The blue & red thing :p

normal_11000.jpg

normal_15700.jpg

normal_48700.jpg

Who needs more stills for proof? ;)

i expect that (if they decide to put tom in the costume) we will see it in the eighth or (if there is) a ninth season.

I expect if they do put Tom in the costume to have it look like the movie only because the WB seems to want SV to fall in line with the look of the movie.

yea, i worry that if WB even lets SV show tom in a suit they will require it to be the SR suit as you said....oh well, i would rather see the classic suit, but if they are forced to go the SR route it will just prove Tom is a better Superman:)

yea, i worry that if WB even lets SV show tom in a suit they will require it to be the SR suit as you said....oh well, i would rather see the classic suit, but if they are forced to go the SR route it will just prove Tom is a better Superman:)
LOL

I am not going to go as far and say he is a better Superman but he is good.

It could go in any number of directions.

Warners wants to keep everything uniform, so they may want it to look like the SR suit. G&M have said they want the show to link up with S:TM, which would be the Reeve's suit. And then there's the caveat of every suit needing to be slightly different in order to set it apart from other versions. While I don't know what the required percentage is, it's safe to say that whatever they do, the suit won't be exactly like previous versions. Hopefully though, it'll only be minor tweaks and not a whole different design with the \S/ logo slapped on his chest. I'd rather NOT see the suit at all in that case.

hi, the SR costume is a classic costume... if you didn't know. Minor detail changes, but still essentially the classic costume.

and I gotta say again, the Classic Costume, is the Superman costume. Any redesign to make it 'appeal' more to the contemporary audience... or to make it 'cooler' is ridiculous.

as I said before. The Costume is not supposed to be cool. The Death of Superman Comic explains it perfectly. Check out the section at the beginning where Superman is explaining who and what he is as a person. And that is that he is a total loser. Totally not cool. That essentially, Superman is just a confident extension of the dorky loser Clark we all know.

In relation to that, his costume should not be redesigned ever. It should not be modernized, or made to look cool. It should be conservative... and represent the ideals that the costume was originally designed for. It's a dorky costume on probably one of the dorkiest superheros ever... a total boyscout with ultimate power. It's all these dorky things combined, that sum up to make superman cool.

It could go in any number of directions.

Warners wants to keep everything uniform, so they may want it to look like the SR suit. G&M have said they want the show to link up with S:TM, which would be the Reeve's suit. And then there's the caveat of every suit needing to be slightly different in order to set it apart from other versions. While I don't know what the required percentage is, it's safe to say that whatever they do, the suit won't be exactly like previous versions. Hopefully though, it'll only be minor tweaks and not a whole different design with the \S/ logo slapped on his chest. I'd rather NOT see the suit at all in that case.
But they (G&M) also said "we will not see Welling in the suit because of the movie." (Which I think sucks but hey) as well on now more then one occasion. So really all we're doing at the moment is wishful thinking.

I always find it funny that people can believe a man could fly, have super strength, come from another planet. But can accept the fact that he wears trunks on the out side of his suit

hi, the SR costume is a classic costume... if you didn't know. Minor detail changes, but still essentially the classic costume.

and I gotta say again, the Classic Costume, is the Superman costume. Any redesign to make it 'appeal' more to the contemporary audience... or to make it 'cooler' is ridiculous.

as I said before. The Costume is not supposed to be cool. The Death of Superman Comic explains it perfectly. Check out the section at the beginning where Superman is explaining who and what he is as a person. And that is that he is a total loser. Totally not cool. That essentially, Superman is just a confident extension of the dorky loser Clark we all know.

In relation to that, his costume should not be redesigned ever. It should not be modernized, or made to look cool. It should be conservative... and represent the ideals that the costume was originally designed for. It's a dorky costume on probably one of the dorkiest superheros ever... a total boyscout with ultimate power. It's all these dorky things combined, that sum up to make superman cool.

i agree with you on everything below what i put in bold, but that in bold confuses me

you say that the ST suit is classic, then you say that "Classic costume" is Superman, any redesign to make it "cool' is ridiculous. i am just confused with you statement becaues isnt that what they did with SR, its like they said hey, lets make it darker so its cooler and not so childish or goofy, and the symbol is kinda big so make it smaller, we could also make the material kinda cool and high tech, so its not so halloween costume home-made looking...

please,i am not arguing, and im certainly not trying to bash SR either, sure it could have been better, but i liked it a lot, and i love anything Superman, i just was confused by your statement:supes: :yay:

But they (G&M) also said "we will not see Welling in the suit because of the movie." (Which I think sucks but hey) as well on now more then one occasion. So really all we're doing at the moment is wishful thinking.
Lets not debate that again as it has been argued to DEATH. Ending the show with a scene showing Clark IN the suit is completely different than seeing him wear it on a daily bases. Every time the suit comes up in interviews, cast and crew make it abundantly clear that once Clark is seen IN the suit, the show is over, so fans shouldn't expect to see it until that time. The only mystery is HOW it'll be shown, not IF it will be shown.

Having said that, can I have a ten spot for every "rule" G&M has broken in their 6 year history with SV? Oh, and throw in a nickel for each time they've changed their minds on something.

You can start with these two...

tvguide5.jpg

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back