In what order do the most important aspects of a superhero movie rank for you?

CyclopsWasRight

Well, he was.
Reaction score
Back in the earlier days of Superhero movies, those that started the trend of the many movies we have now, people only had two concerns. The quality of the movie and the accuracy to the source material.

As Bob Dylan once said The Times They Are A Changin'. Things are very different today.

In addition to those there are now inter-connected movie universes and studio preferences.

Below is a list of the seemingly most Key aspects of the CBM landscape today...

Quality
The overall qualiy of the movie at hand. the story, plot, character development, score, action, humour ect... Basically whether the movie is good or not.

Accuracy
How accurate the movie is to the comics from which the movie is based on.

Cinematic Universe Connection
The movie existing in the same continuity of other Superhero franchises and the cross-pollination of characters, stories and so on.

Studio
The Studio financing and producing the movie

__

So which order of importance would you place these four aspects in? From most important to least important.

I've listed several combinations of these aspect in the poll above. The voting is anonymous so vote honestly (if 'Other' then please state your order of preference).

Lets keep thins respectful and cordial and have this as a productive discussion for the landsapce of superhero movies and the future of the genre.

Last edited:
Overall entertainment value, character development and potential used from source. Creative license is fine but if your not capturing why I like these characters in the first place I'm gonna call BS.

Studio is important nowadays. But depends on the Superhero we are discussing as far as order of importance.

Last edited:
Quality of film Is primary concern.

What i really don't care about Is Cinematic Universe connection. my top 3 comic book films Superman,X2,and the Dark Knight had none of that. X2 only had connection to X-Men and was trying to set up things for third film.

Cinematic Universe connection can hurt making good indivual films.

Studio Is what causes too many wars on this forum. How I miss the days I could see films by different studios and enjoy without studio wars. Or bashing film based just on the studio.

Accuracy Is a factor but time some here admit the truth all comic book films make changes.

I prefer films that i don't ever roll my eyes at during watching.

Last edited:
Quality - The overall qualiy of the movie at hand. the story, plot, character development, score, action, humour ect... Basically whether the movie is good or not.

Quality is 100% important. If it has a good story and is entertaining I'm enthralled right off the bat. If it's just thrown together with a barely understandable story with massive jarring edits (Looking at you Fox) then they've lost me.

Accuracy - How accurate the movie is to the comics from which the movie is based on.

I'm fine if they take certain liberties with the source materials as long as they're still recognizable. The 90's Flash tv show was amazing for it's time and they merged Barry and Wally quite a bit along with changing a bunch of things. Still made for a great show.

Cinematic Universe Connection -The movie existing in the same continuity of other Superhero franchises and the cross-pollination of characters, stories and so on.

Up until Marvel went crazy and gave us the MCU I had no expectations on anything like this. As it is I'm fine if it's supposed to be a standalone movie like Daredevil or Spider-Man but with the Avengers and all the crazy movies that are getting tied in for the big showdown with Thanos it's very important they keep it all together without having continuity snarls.

Studio - The Studio financing and producing the movie.

Not really an issue besides Fox studios as I have a large beef with them over almost everything.

Studio really doesn't exist as a separate component from quality. The reason certain studios receive bad reactions is because they have a track record of poor quality.

Quality -> Cinematic Universe Connection -> Studio/Accuracy are tied for last place.

Accuracy is a burden more often than a boon.
-There are few if any characters I'd want to see a 616/golden age/silver age accurate depiction of. I'm no fan of the classic 616 Cap outfits, I love the Ultimates 2 costume, but the TFA costume surpasses it in almost every way.(I hope A2AU doesn't have a design that is anything like A1)
-I think MCU Cap suffers interms of audience appeal becuase he hues so closely to the 616 characterization which is frankly quite boring, I'd prefer a more nuanced/a little less obnoxious Ultimate Cap characterization for the movie verse and I think that would have appealed to mainstream tastes a lot more.

First off you need quality or the whole thing is pointless.

Second you need accuracy to capture what made the source material popular in the first place.

Accuracy matters less if you've already had an accurate adaptation. For example, I wouldn't mind a Hollywood redesign of Tony Stark eventually since we've already seen an accurate version.

I'm glad they did the 616 Captain America first.

They can experiment with the A-hole version later down the road during a reboot.

First off you need quality or the whole thing is pointless.

Second you need accuracy to capture what made the source material popular in the first place.

Accuracy matters less if you've already had an accurate adaptation. For example, I wouldn't mind a Hollywood redesign of Tony Stark eventually since we've already seen an accurate version.
Pretty much this, the studio being the least of my concerns.

Studio really doesn't exist as a separate component from quality.

It very much does. All studios have good and bad quality movies. They may have streaks but quality can always come with the next movie, and vice versa

Quality - Far and away in first place. It is 70-90% of why I see comic book movies, to see a great movie. If I don't think a movie is good, I may not ever see it.

Accuracy - About 5-20% of why I see movies. I really don't care if it's been done accurate before or not, and it really only applies to the stuff from comics that I like. Stuff from comics I don't care about can change and it won't matter.

Cinematic Universe Connection - The only time I care about this is for Avengers, and to me, it's part of the quality.

Studio - This is a non factor. If the quality and accuracy of two films are equal, I don't care if it was made in someone's backyard.

Quality trumps all! I don't want to waste my time in the theater. So the film I'm watching had better be worth my time.

Accuracy I'm not really big on, but I do appreciate it if filmmakers make an effort to stay loyal in a sense to the comic they're adapting. But filmmakers should not be slavish to the material, and should at least attempt to come up with new fresh new takes on these age old characters (the X-Men movies are good in this regard).

Cinematic Universe connection isn't really a factor for me. But I think it's cool when these movies tie in together. And I applaud the effort and hard work to make something like that work.

Studios I could care less. So long as the studio makes quality work, I'll give my money to them.

Quality is the most important aspect of any movie for me, when I go to the theater to see a movie I want to be entertained by it and not sit there going "ugh this movie sucks so bad =______="

Superhero movies don't have to be super duper accurate, but they should be accurate to the spirit of the comic/characters they are adapting.

I only really care about universe connections when it's an MCU movie, and in that case that ties in to quality for me. I like the tie-ins to feel organic to the story and not feel crammed in like with IM2, I think they learned their lesson with that because subsequent MCU films' tie-ins have been way better handled.

The studio doesn't really matter unless they have a bad track record with superhero movies or certain superhero franchises.

First, big ups to the OP, because you always come up with good thread
questions. Nice !

All about the quality !
For me, even if the movie isn't very faithful, I can still enjoy it. LIke the other guy said, quality is key.

If it's a good movie it's a good movie. EG Thor TDW had very little that was faithful to the classic storyline that introduced Malekith and Kurse, but was still a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed the Keanu Reeves Constantine film, which would have been
awesome......if it hadn't angered the purists by calling itself by the same name as a very popular comic which it had almost nothing to do with.
(Kind of like calling a movie Batman, then making the Batman character English, who fights crime during the day, in Liverpool, and looks nothing like the usual depictions of Batman, and whose parents were not killed by a mugger).

I thought both V for Vendetta and Watchmen were about as good as film adaptions could be (both would probably make more sense as TV miniseries, if you wanted to make them completely faithful). They had a reasonable blend of faithfulness to source material (particularly Watchmen) and good storytelling.

If the movie itself is crap, then I won't enjoy it, no matter how faithful it is to the source material .......for example

The League of Extra-Ordinary Gentlemen....extra-ordinary garbage!

Stallone's Judge Dredd, barf !

As others have said, the spirit of the film is very important too.
If you walk out thinking "Yup, that was a Batman film !" then that's cool.

The other stuff, cinematic universe/studio etc. doesn't really worry me much at all.

Great thread.

Quality>Everything else

The studio it belongs to is just the suits that get the money. They have all produced good things and all have produced bad. Make something good everyone loves you, bad and people want you to sell the rights to another, thats the way these things go.

The rest is all fluff though if your film is rubbish in the first place then doesnt matter how accurate or which universe its in its still rubbish.

A balance between quality and accuracy is probably the best answer.

I thought this thread was going to say what is the most important aspects of a superhero movie acting? music? story? action that kind of thing.

1. Quality
2. Accuracy
3. Cinematic Universe Connection

4. Studio

Quality -> Accuracy -> Cinematic Universe Connection -> Studio

Honestly, the studio wars between Comic book fans is pure nonsense and drivel. It's dumb and annoying.

The first or second option for me. I love CBMs from all studios so that doesnt matter so much to me. I do love having many of them connected to eachother though, so thats important to me. When it comes to Marvel studios or DC movies, that is.

Quality > Accuracy >>> CUC/Studio

I don't care whether the hero exists by himself in continuity or not, as long as the story's good.

Also, a shared universe has an equal chance of being detrimental to a product as it can be beneficial.

Quality, Accuracy, CUC, Studio.

As long as a CBM is good, I can be flexible on the accuracy. If a CBM is bad say X-3, then I have trouble with them again making Wolverine the star, killing off Cyclops and having Wolverine stopping Jean.

1. Quality
2. Accuracy
3. Cinematic Universe Connection
4. Studio

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001