Independence Day 2? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They key is again, it's just not a good movie. EVen if people didn't want or ask for a sequel, at least if it's good that would make it worth seeing at least, but it's not even that apparently.

Yeah it's not bad but at the same time I'm not invested in the characters. They die or live no one cares for some reason.

Everything was cliché and predictable.

Also the jokes were corny as hell, literally no one laughed at my theatre.

It's not the worst movie... It's a pop corn flick just watch for the special effects.

They key is again, it's just not a good movie. EVen if people didn't want or ask for a sequel, at least if it's good that would make it worth seeing at least, but it's not even that apparently.

Yep. Case in point, Rise of the Planet of the Apes. No one was asking for a Planet of the Apes reboot. Hell, no one even wanted one, much less asked for it. But it was a genuinely good movie...so it did well.

In the case of the Planet of the Apes , there was a history there, a franchise from long ago.
All Independence Day had was the one movie and apparently, the nostalgia for it was not enough.

In the case of the Planet of the Apes , there was a history there, a franchise from long ago.
All Independence Day had was the one movie and apparently, the nostalgia for it was not enough.
The franchise isn't way Apes worked. It worked because it was darn good, and then followed up with a great movie imo. Making a bad movie sequel to a bad 90s nostalgia trip had very little chance of success.

I have a feeling that would've caused Aliens comparisons.

But... that's probably the plan for the next one (if there is a next one).

They'll get that anyway since they decided to introduce a queen alien.

I simply didn't care for a sequel to ID. Even when I first heard they were making it. Its one of those self contained films that doesn't need a continuation. Let alone one after 20 freaking years.

Its just like a sequel to Speed. See how that worked out.

I simply didn't care for a sequel to ID. Even when I first heard they were making it. Its one of those self contained films that doesn't need a continuation. Let alone one after 20 freaking years.

Its just like a sequel to Speed. See how that worked out.

I disagree on the Speed analogy, as it's an alien invasion film with the potential for more aliens out there, versus a move about a bomb on a bus. Yes, the Speed sequel was terrible and unnecessary, and yeah, ID4:R isn't great in it's own right, but the potential in ID4:R was there, versus the need to shoehorn a sequel without Keanu Reeves on a cruise ship.

That said, I get your own opinion for not wanting another one though, and at this point, we'd probably all continue the original fondly without this film remembering the great stuff the new film is missing.

its very hard to do a ID4 sequel. its one thing when you have a movie with 4-6 characters in the sequel in the same situation as in the first movie. but its something else when you have an alien invasion movie and ...then you make a sequel where the aliens come back.......and everything gets repeated.

IMO if the sequel was realesed between 1998-2008 the story would be different. the movie would be different. I even think that the studio would allow them to use a different movie title. Today? you need the same title as the first movie. Remember when everyone panicked( i also did) when TDK didnt have batman in the title? so what happened 4 years later? things changed. TDKR was a sequel to TDK so ''the dark knight '' had to be in the title.

Just got back. Loved it. Not a perfect film by any means. Could have used a slightly sharper knife is the editing room (really how many transition shots of people in uniforms walking down a hall Right Stuff style does one film need?), the green screen for all the ending/reunion scenes was bad, and the whole
boss monster kill-it-everything-dies
plot line was as ridiculous as the first movie's computer virus bit. But it delivers on the action and battle scenes, the old cast is clearly having fun, and if the new cast is a bit bland, I still think they acquitted themselves well. I'd give it a 7/10, maybe even a 7.5.

I remember back in the 90s there were rumors that there might be sequel. At least I think I remember that. When I was a kid I definitely remember wondering what would happen if the aliens came back, if mankind would be more prepared.

They definitely waited too long to make this movie, but I was hoping it would take more of a B-movie route and at least be a cheesy good time. I can't weigh in with an opinion cause I haven't seen it yet, but most of what I'm hearing doesn't give me much motivation to want to check it out. I've still got a tinge of curiosity though.

Now, the big question, is it going to hold better than TMNT 2 or Warcraft?

In my opinion no. I actually liked Out of the Shadows, and Warcraft was better than this hot garbage. At least Warcraft had a couple decent performances I could latch onto.

Oops misunderstood the question. I'm thinking no. The CinemaScore, which is IMHO usually over-exaggerated anyway, is only a B. Finding Dory will continue to do well over July 4. ID42 will not.

Unsure, but it already basically made what Warcrap has at the domestic box office now in total with only one weekend to it's name, lol.

Roland Emmerich says Marvel and DC have been ripping him off
[YT]1j1L2JRwbWM[/YT]

Well, pretty much big Hollywood films went on from there. It's one of those "Yeah, we can do that now" films.

A sequel to ID4 made total sense and had the film come out maybe 10 years ago instead of 20, one would have come out a couple years later likely.

However waiting 20 years to make that said sequel and without Will Smith wasn't the best idea.

If a sequel had come in 1999 or 2000 and was relatively well received than this would have been closer to having the "Jurassic Word" effect it wanted.

Just saw this one tonight. I definitely don't think it was a good movie. It wasn't offensively bad but it was clichéd, predictable, and the dialogue was at times awful. The tone was also all over the place at times. I'd probably say 5/10.

People can say what they will about Will Smith, but ... His absence is felt in this movie.

People can say what they will about Will Smith, but ... His absence is felt in this movie.

He really was. He has more charisma and energy than all the young characters combined.

Somewhat, but given what the script hands the actors to do, I doubt it would have been that much of an improvement. The first film played much more to the strengths of the cast (especially sitcom vets like Smith and Judd Hirsch) because it was first and foremost a Seventies-style disaster film, not a genre pic. And disaster films are all about character interaction: act one, introduce a bunch of largely stock characters with different goals and motivations; act two, disaster happens and we watch them bounce off each other; act three those who responded virtuously survive or sacrifice themselves to save others, while those who reacted mendaciously get theirs. Roll credits.

Resurgence isn't sure what it wants to be. The closest I can come is a sort of live-action anime. It reminded me a lot of the live-action Space Battleship Yamato from a couple years ago. But in any event, it isn't nearly as concerned with the human characters as the first movie was and gives them little to do aside from being mobile props. In between the battles, it wants to do world-building where the first one wanted to do character, but it's hobbled badly by the generic ridiculousness of the aliens. They were never meant to be more than a stand-in for a natural disaster, a kind of cosmic Sharknado. Resurgence tries to fill in a whole bunch of background about them, but it comes off as a sort of Robotech-lite. I'm cool with that and would love to see the (now probably never to be made) sequel they tease, but I also understand why it has a limited appeal.

Last edited:
It's interesting how Jurassic World was able to cash in on nostalgia and have a huge box office while this looks lucky to break $200M in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"