Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I think we've seen enough to call it. Premiering this to a snooty audience at Cannes and letting that lead the narrative was a huge mistake, but this is probably a rock solid Indy flick that will absolutely be worth seeing. I'm getting more excited now.

I also just rewatched Raiders in 4k and it looked stunning. I am truthfully not the biggest fan of the series, not in that I don't like them, they just weren't watched much when I was a kid so I don't have quite the same nostalgia for them that most do. But I bought the 4k set and am hoping to marathon the whole series before seeing this. Looking forward to enjoying some prime Spielberg and hopefully gaining a new appreciation for these movies.

I believe you've nailed it, here.

As usual.

I think this is a reminder for me that we're in an age where something is either "Omg masterpiece amazing" and anything else is abject sh*t.

That's kinda how it works these days. Games, film, etc.
I agree completely. Stuckman alludes to that. This is probably my favorite review yet.

Last edited:
I’d be fascinated if RT ever did a throwback year to when a movie is released.

For example, I’d be curious to know Temple of Doom’s 1984 RT score. Right now it compiles old but also contemporary which changes things.

I’d be fascinated if RT ever did a throwback year to when a movie is released.

For example, I’d be curious to know Temple of Doom’s 1984 RT score. Right now it compiles old but also contemporary which changes things.

Around 2007, Temple of Doom sat in the mid 60s, actually. I think they all were reviews from release with a few ones from the mid 2000s, too.

I thought it was OK. It's definitely bloated and slow at parts. This movie did not need to be two-and-a-half hours. I'm more appreciative for the original trilogy and how tightly edited those movies were. Nothing extraneous.

There were some nice moments here. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The final act is a mess, and I don't think they knew what they were doing there.

Opening act with the 1940s scene was fun, but that de-aging tech was dodgy this go-around. I think the problem was even though it was supposed to be a younger Indy, it was still Ford's older, more grizzled voice. De-aging someone's voice is harder to do, even for AI tech.

I thought it was OK. It's definitely bloated and slow at parts. This movie did not need to be two-and-a-half hours. I'm more appreciative for the original trilogy and how tightly edited those movies were. Nothing extraneous.

There were some nice moments here. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The final act is a mess, and I don't think they knew what they were doing there.

Opening act with the 1940s scene was fun, but that de-aging tech was dodgy this go-around. I think the problem was even though it was supposed to be a younger Indy, it was still Ford's older, more grizzled voice. De-aging someone's voice is harder to do, even for AI tech.
Thanks for the review. I'm keeping my expectations in check. Would you say it's better than crystal skull?

For now, yes. I still think Last Crusade is probably where it should have ended and it had the best ending out of any Indiana Jones movie.
Better than Crystal Skull is something at least. :O

Still hoping I can get something out of this, but the thought it might live up to the originals is long gone.

I spoiled myself on the final act, and I really like the sound of it, but it also comes down to the execution. I'm curious as to how I'll feel when seeing it.

It's def something that's going to be divisive in how fantastical it gets, but a lot of people forget that all these movies are like that. Raiders ends with ghosts coming out of the ark of the covenant, Temple of Doom has a dude getting his heart ripped out while he's still alive, and Last Crusade ends with a grail knight sitting in a cave alive for thousands of years.

The aliens were never the problem with Crystal Skull, it was the execution of said idea that was bad.

Better than Crystal Skull is something at least. :O

Still hoping I can get something out of this, but the thought it might live up to the originals is long gone.
Yeah my excitement for it has dropped quite a bit, if I'm being honest. Still love Mangold! And I'll obviously still be seeing it, but I'm a bit indifferent at this point.

Yeah my excitement for it has dropped quite a bit, if I'm being honest. Still love Mangold! And I'll obviously still be seeing it, but I'm a bit indifferent at this point.
Probably more likely to enjoy the good elements of it with expectations in check at least. :up: I’m sure there will be some good stuff for Indy fans regardless of how the film as a whole hits. The originals are peak cinema from a different era so it’s not the easiest thing in the world to match them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"