Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

The ending of this interview got me right in the feels.

Regardless of the quality of the movie, I'm probably going to end up getting choked up at some point because of Ford.

I read some comments on the JoBlo review, which was not in favor of the film.

"Thank you, for this honest review."
"It's good to hear someone being honest."

Why are negative reviews the only 'honest' ones? Like why is there this perception that reviewers are running scared from 'admitting' every film that comes out secretly sucks?

LeatherWings, you need to stop putting this much value and care on negative reviews. What matters at the end of the day is your opinion when you go see the movie. Dwelling on the negative reception and specific critiques will do no good.

That being said, that woman one you shared is particularly egregious. Yikes. :nervous:

I think I'd care less about reviews if it wasn't so damn confusing.

Negative reception? Cool, I'll tune out.
Positive reception? Cool, I'll tune out.

But it's this yo-yo that I can't turn away from. I read glowing reviews and reactions from fans and critics, and ones I trust like Dan Murrell and Chris Stuckmann say it's a damn good film - then I watch the JoBlo review and it's like "it sucks so bad".

Like, it's addictingly confusing.

Yeah my excitement for it has dropped quite a bit, if I'm being honest. Still love Mangold! And I'll obviously still be seeing it, but I'm a bit indifferent at this point.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, no matter what the reception is.

I'm just going in with low expectations, which will probably be a good thing.

I read some comments on the JoBlo review, which was not in favor of the film.

"Thank you, for this honest review."
"It's good to hear someone being honest."

Why are negative reviews the only 'honest' ones? Like why is there this perception that reviewers are running scared from 'admitting' every film that comes out secretly sucks?
"Honest" because it lines up with their narrative against the female character. That's all they're obsessed with on this film.

Yeah, this is the last Indiana Jones movie. Certainly the last one with Harrison Ford.

Forget about reviews or box office. Just go in and enjoy the experience one last time.
Seems like great advice. Harrison Ford won't be around forever so I'm going to take as much enjoyment as I can from seeing him as Indy again regardless of anything else.

Yeah, this is the last Indiana Jones movie. Certainly the last one with Harrison Ford.

Forget about reviews or box office. Just go in and enjoy the experience one last time.

Seems like great advice. Harrison Ford won't be around forever so I'm going to take as much enjoyment as I can from seeing him as Indy again regardless of anything else.
Agreed! And I think I'll probabaly end up enjoying it more than some of these reviews too. It seems like some are saying Harrisons age limited what he does in the movie, and I kind of like that aspect? I guess we'll see how it's executed. Ford is my favorite actor and I honestly am just grateful for all the stuff he's brought us over the years.

I remember buying J.W. Rinzler’s Making of Indiana Jones book back in 2008 as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was coming out. It was amazing as he also goes through each draft and iteration the movies went through. Obviously Crystal Skull at the time went through the longest birthing process. But you see so many ideas from past movies make their way into the next one. It was very candid about each film.

Anyone know if there will be a similar book for Dial of Destiny? I see that David Koepp is credited as one of the screenwriters on this, so I have to assume some of his ideas from Spielberg’s version made it in. I would love to see that evolution.

I know Disney/Lucasfilm likes to keep things close to the chest. I still hope to see a book on all the Star Wars sequels and spin-offs going in depth about their evolution.

I remember buying J.W. Rinzler’s Making of Indiana Jones book back in 2008 as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was coming out. It was amazing as he also goes through each draft and iteration the movies went through. Obviously Crystal Skull at the time went through the longest birthing process. But you see so many ideas from past movies make their way into the next one. It was very candid about each film.

Anyone know if there will be a similar book for Dial of Destiny? I see that David Koepp is credited as one of the screenwriters on this, so I have to assume some of his ideas from Spielberg’s version made it in. I would love to see that evolution.

I know Disney/Lucasfilm likes to keep things close to the chest. I still hope to see a book on all the Star Wars sequels and spin-offs going in depth about their evolution.

I still have my copy!

3047fa55-1c2c-4492-8120-ba3c01c1e1b6

Great book for sure. A must for any Indy fan.

Just rewatched Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and gotta say, I still enjoy it. Is it my favorite of the series? No, probably not, but the only part where I roll my eyes is the nuke/fridge scene and that’s wrapped in the first 20 minutes. Everything else IMO was pure Indy fun.

Can’t wait to watch Dial of Destiny.

Just rewatched Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and gotta say, I still enjoy it. Is it my favorite of the series? No, probably not, but the only part where I roll my eyes is the nuke/fridge scene and that’s wrapped in the first 20 minutes. Everything else IMO was pure Indy fun.

Other way around for me. I think the fridge scene is one of the best scenes in the movie, even if the execution is sloppy, I love the build-up to the bomb going off and the aftermath of Indy staring at the explosion.

I've always maintained that Crystal Skull is a generally solid movie for the first 40 minutes (despite some lazy/stupid moments), it goes to piss once they go to South America.

Last edited:

Love Kingdom. I agreed with the consensus at the time that it was good Indy, just not great.

And I'm glad that there's been a lot more positivity surrounding it online in recent years. It deserves it.

I agree that it's a great time. And the 4K version is the definitive version.

Doomtown is one of my favourite sequences in the series. So pulpy and surreal.

I never, ever, had a problem with the fridge scene. I don't think it is as outlandish considering some of the stuff that happened in the previous films. It's very well done and it's a great encapsulation of the era in which the movie takes place.
The vines and the monkeys though... well... that's certainly a thing.

I never, ever, had a problem with the fridge scene. I don't think it is as outlandish considering some of the stuff that happened in the previous films. It's very well done and it's a great encapsulation of the era in which the movie takes place.
The vines and the monkeys though... well... that's certainly a thing.
That's pretty much what I've been saying for 15 years. I've always had a bigger problem with Shia not only swinging from vines but being able to catch up to a moving vehicle while doing so. The fridge scene is farfetched and silly but I'll at least give them credit for giving a somewhat reasonable explanation for him surviving that by clearly putting "LEAD LINED" on the fridge door as he gets in it.

The swinging-from-vines scene is maybe 4 seconds long lol, if that. The online debate around that scene makes it sound as if it is its own set-piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"