Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Other way around for me. I think the fridge scene is one of the best scenes in the movie, even if the execution is sloppy, I love the build-up to the bomb going off and the aftermath of Indy staring at the explosion.

I've always maintained that Crystal Skull is a generally solid movie for the first 40 minutes (despite some lazy/stupid moments), it goes to piss once they go to South America.

Everything leading up to the fridge scene is great--love the fight in Area 51.

The swinging-from-vines scene is maybe 4 seconds long lol, if that.
It's way too goofy, way too convenient, the geography of the chase scene doesn't make sense either. It's a big part of the set piece, it's basically how Mutt returns to the action.

Maybe they were trying to say something with the monkeys, the gophers, the scorpions, the ants? Is there some animal-related subtext we are not getting? (???)

The ants were a great Indy fighting a big guy death up there with Temple of Doom.

indiana-jones.gif

The fridge scene, the prairie dogs, the swinging monkeys didn't work for me.

I think the writing of the Ray Winstone character was the worst part.

I think the rumor was that it was going to be Sallah for the betrayal to hurt more, but in the end they didn’t want to do that to Sallah’s character.

I think the rumor was that it was going to be Sallah for the betrayal to hurt more, but in the end they didn’t want to do that to Sallah’s character.

In Frank Darabont’s original script, it’s another original character named Yuri. Never heard the Salish rumor, but I know they asked the actor to return for the wedding scene but he opted out.

Maybe they were trying to say something with the monkeys, the gophers, the scorpions, the ants? Is there some animal-related subtext we are not getting? (???)

The Paramount mountain fades into a (proverbial) molehill.

Spielberg was making a prescient point from frame one of KOTCS. Perhaps having seen how people slaughtered the Prequels, he expected the reception to KOTCS.

In Frank Darabont’s original script, it’s another original character named Yuri. Never heard the Salish rumor, but I know they asked the actor to return for the wedding scene but he opted out.

I read that script, and no offense to Darabont, but Yuri was even more annoying.

The opening scene also has them eating at like a diner. It's a pretty dull, boring way to open an Indiana Jones film.

I read that script, and no offense to Darabont, but Yuri was even more annoying.

The opening scene also has them eating at like a diner. It's a pretty dull, boring way to open an Indiana Jones film.

Oh, agreed. Surprised he didn’t get any credit for the final film though—a lot of the ideas/plot beats are straight out of the City of the Gods script.

Rewatching Crystal Skull... the cgi is rough in spots, especially the animal comedy.

But, overall the new color grading helps.

Something doesn't jive when Cate is on screen, feels too 2008 for some reason.

The vines are bad, but the double car scene is too long and tedious.

Mutt isn't as bad as I remember.

Also, hate when Indy drops the Han line.

Oh, agreed. Surprised he didn’t get any credit for the final film though—a lot of the ideas/plot beats are straight out of the City of the Gods script.

Yep, from what I recall his script sort of lays out most of what we saw in the final product. Except Mutt wasn't in his version. But the Area 51 sequence is in there, complete with the Ark of the Covenant reveal. Also, Marion and Indy getting married.

I don’t know if those were less Darabont ideas or Spielberg and Lucas ideas for Darabont to put in his version of the script.

'Indiana Jones 5' Director James Mangold on De-Aging and Star Wars - Variety

Interesting that the 1944 train scene was written to be in the Spielberg version.

It was the fall of 2019, and Mangold had joined the team working on the film adaptation of “The Call of the Wild,” in which Ford plays a rugged frontiersman, to help with reshoots. In their downtime, Ford began confiding in Mangold about the fifth “Indiana Jones” movie, which had been bouncing around in development for the better part of three years. Steven Spielberg and screenwriter David Koepp had conceived a roughly five-minute opening sequence set during World War II, in which Ford would be digitally de-aged. Ford wasn’t sure it was a good idea.

“Harrison told me he was nervous, because he felt like if people saw him younger, when they confronted Indiana in his 70s they’d be disappointed,” Mangold says, sitting on a cream-colored couch inside his sunlit office on the Fox lot in early June.

Take that WWII prologue that had so concerned Ford. Mangold thought it was a brilliant idea, because it tackled one of his biggest issues with 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”: That film barely acknowledges that Indy is not only older but has aged out of the 1930s and ’40s era that he’s meant to embody.

“What’s so beautiful about the best of the ‘Indiana Jones’ movies is that thematically they know what they’re about,” Mangold says. “I didn’t feel like I knew what ‘Crystal Skull’ was about. He’s living in a world that has overtaken him — a world that has found new heroes in John Glenn or Elvis Presley. No one in the film is really thinking about the past; everyone’s focused on the future.”

Mangold says he “spoke plainly” about these feelings in early discussions with Spielberg and Kennedy about what he’d want to do with “Indy 5,” which he felt was at risk of making many of the same mistakes as “Crystal Skull.” The MacGuffin at the center of the early script, for example, “was just another relic with power, similar to the relics we had seen,” with no clear connection to Indy or what he was going through. So he changed it to the Antikythera, an ancient mechanical device invented, in the new script’s conception, by the Greek mathematician Archimedes to allow its user to manipulate time.

I think my problem with Mangold's comments is that to the audience, Indiana Jones is that renowned hero, but what about the actual people of the world? Indiana Jones wasn't exactly a celebrity. He was a college professor and academic. Yes, he was a hero and part-time archaeologist, but his exploits weren't exactly publicly known. He probably wasn't being written about in explorer magazines for his great discoveries. His greatest discoveries were failures or likely never written about or kept top secret.

It's not quite the same thing as an Iron Man or Captain America, who are publicly well known in the MCU.

I think I had a similar problem with The Flash. The reactions of some of the characters are more like fanboy comments over if a real fanboy met Batman and not someone who actually grew up in the DC Universe.

I think my problem with Mangold's comments is that to the audience, Indiana Jones is that renowned hero, but what about the actual people of the world? Indiana Jones wasn't exactly a celebrity. He was a college professor and academic. Yes, he was a hero and part-time archaeologist, but his exploits weren't exactly publicly known. He probably wasn't being written about in explorer magazines for his great discoveries. His greatest discoveries were failures or likely never written about or kept top secret.

I think he was definitely known in the academic world. In Temple of Doom, when he arrives at Pankot Palace, Chattar Lal recognizes his name and that he read about him when he was at Oxford.

It's not quite the same thing as an Iron Man or Captain America, who are publicly well known in the MCU.

I think I had a similar problem with The Flash. The reactions of some of the characters are more like fanboy comments over if a real fanboy met Batman and not someone who actually grew up in the DC Universe.

I'm not sure that's entirely true.

In Temple of Doom, Chattar Lal recognizes Indiana Jones in the middle of nowhere in India, and during the banquet scene, points out Indy's dubious exploits in Honduras, and that the Sultan of Madagascar threatened to cut off his balls for graverobbing if he ever returned.

The guy was clearly well known around the world, even if infamously.

Last edited:
Someone like Chattar Lal knowing who he is makes sense. I'm talking about the common everyday folk who would know who Neil Armstrong or John Glenn are.

It's good they didn't. To have Sallah do that would've been idiotic. Audiences would not have accepted it. I can at least credit them for deciding against that. You literally had Sallah protecting Indy and Marion from the Nazis, and now he's going to sell him out? Sallah protected Indy from the bad dates as well.

I can't wait to watch this neXt week.

i think I was only 18 or 19 when the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out.:crybaby:

can someone tell me what this crusade is with fans where they're trying to redeem lucasfilm properties that were poorly received back in the day??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"