• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Iron Fist Iron Fist is off to a terrible start on Rotten Tomatoes.

I don't remember what Code of Honor was about. I have barely watched the first season of TNG. I gave it up early on and then only picked it back up again in the 3rd season and then went back and rewatched seasons 1 and 2. I only remember the first season vaguely: that Tasha Yar died by that Tar monster, that there was some cryogenics episode and that Worf had a huge forehead.

If your concern is your own opinion alone, why the need to tell the critics off? I personally form my own opinions once I see something, but that doesn't mean I discredit what critics say unless given a compelling reason to.

2wgryj5.jpg

And so begins Iron Fist's long climb back up after the early reviews.

I'm not really as influenced by reviews of a new series as I am by reviews of a movie.

Can you imagine if we had decided the fate of ST:TNG based on the first six episodes?

The first five episodes of TNG were terrible. It wasn't until episode 6 "Where No One Has Gone Before" with The Traveler that we actually got a good one. And overall there were only about 10 decent episodes out of 26 in the first season.

But the key difference is that Star Trek was told in a episodic, done-in-one format, whereas Iron Fist is serial. It'd be like stretching out one of the bad Star Trek episodes to cover an entire seasons worth of stories. I have yet to watch the show, but I'm not sure a modern series can recover from that many consecutively bad episodes.

Last edited:
Went down to 14 and now back to 17. Curious about the audience score

But the key difference is that Star Trek was told in a serial, done-in-one format, whereas Iron Fist is episodic.
Did you mean the other way around?

But the key difference is that Star Trek was told in a serial, done-in-one format, whereas Iron Fist is episodic. It'd be like stretching out one of the bad Star Trek episodes to cover an entire seasons worth of stories. I have yet to watch the show, but I'm not sure a modern series can recover from that many consecutively bad episodes.
ST:TNG was episodic, Iron Fist is serialized, but I knew what you meant.

However, I disagree with your assessment about a "modern series"; Netflix has changed how we look at such things. More and more, such shows are binge watched, and its easier to skip through the slow spots.

I don't think it deserves that 17% as there's so many mediocre shows on Rt that has a fresh rating. Though having seen the film, it deserved its rotten rating.

There are shows like Arrow that are vastly inferior that have fresh ratings. This deserves a higher rating

Last edited:
Season four of Arrow was just....it was tough. It was very tough to watch. I'm happy they picked it back up after that trainwreck of a season.

Iron Fist very much deserves a higher rating. I can't be convinced that it's a trainwreck. I've seen trainwreck adaptations before. This a'int one of em. I would imagine the audience score will be alot higher, since at times it seemed like the reviewers had seen a different show with some of the stuff I'd read and heard.

Season four of Arrow was just....it was tough. It was very tough to watch. I'm happy they picked it back up after that trainwreck of a season.

Iron Fist very much deserves a higher rating. I can't be convinced that it's a trainwreck. I've seen trainwreck adaptations before. This a'int one of em.

Agreed. Honestly, after last season of Arrow I decided to finally give up and I have not watched season 5. I will probably breakdown and watch it eventually, but I have absolute apathy for the show after that dreadful season.

Yet, that was considered fresh :o

Season four was considered fresh?! Really?!

Season five has been much better. Curtis is still annoying, but not as bad as before. But, season four was so bad. I know of people who, like you, just walked away from the show after that. I think it was so bad, they've got an uphill battle in bringing people back. I mean, people who will watch the other DCTV shows and just avoid Arrow now.

Iron Fist having a lower rating than that is just...offensive.

While Netflix's Iron Fist might be more consistent in its quality than Arrow, I think its main problem is that it's mainly bland and not really all that memorable. So Arrow is consistently all over the place, riddle with plot holes, character flip flopping with their motivations, 2 seasons I'd rather not speak of, it's still overall more entertaining to watch. That's what I think at least.

Also, even though Amell's acting range seems rather limited, at least I can buy him as a person I'd rather not mess with. He keeps my immersion intact when I watch him mess up a group of thugs. My immersion got shattered time and time again when I watched Finn Jones in action.

Having seen the show, it should be between 40% to 56% or just Mos rt rating. That 17% rating is brutal. Rt needs to fix their rating system to tvshows as its usually misleading. They usually just reviewthe first episode or the two hour season premiere and they display the score as the rating for the whole season. Then with this show, some reviewers just reviewed half of the season. A great example of Rt TV system being executed well is the Walking Dead 7's rt rating system. There's a separate rating for every episode so far and they display the average rating of the episodes reviewed as the rating for the season. Though not every critic is gonna review every episode and that would be a lot of work to the Rt staff.

I mean, Stephen Amell is amazing. It's not many actors who can convincingly play a lying cheating ******* who played two sisters dirty, and still slept with them after while also being likable ontop of being able to believably kick ass. The dude is perfect for the role. I think having the perfect guy for a role does a ton.

But, even he can't save things when the writing drops the ball. Especially season four.

It's different, for sure. Iron Fist is more consistent. It has a more serious tone that it sticks with. I think DCTV dipping into more cheese has afforded it alot of leeway with fans who'll forgive alot because it's more lighthearted, too. Which is understandable.

I didn't feel Jones in action ruined my immersion. I bought what he was selling. But, I can certainly see where you're coming from. If you don't like the lead, then you can't like the movie/show. If someone doesn't like the guy playing Batman, then it probably doesn't matter how good the movie is...it'll probably suck to the person who's watching and can't buy into the immersion. So, I can certainly understand the argument you make, Nathan.

While Netflix's Iron Fist might be more consistent in its quality than Arrow, I think its main problem is that it's mainly bland and not really all that memorable. So Arrow is consistently all over the place, riddle with plot holes, character flip flopping with their motivations, 2 seasons I'd rather not speak of, it's still overall more entertaining to watch. That's what I think at least.

Also, even though Amell's acting range seems rather limited, at least I can buy him as a person I'd rather not mess with. He keeps my immersion intact when I watch him mess up a group of thugs. My immersion got shattered time and time again when I watched Finn Jones in action.

Sorry, I just cannot agree. Iron Fist was better in everyway.

Finn Jones > Stephen Amell
IF Villains > Arrow Villains
Colleen Wing > Felicity Smoke

And so on and so on. Honestly, I do not see any 1 way Arrow is better.

Having seen the show, it should be between 40% to 56% or just Mos rt rating. That 17% rating is brutal. Rt needs to fix their rating system to tvshows as its usually misleading. They usually just reviewthe first episode or the two hour season premiere and they display the score as the rating for the whole season. Then with this show, some reviewers just reviewed half of the season. A great example of Rt TV system being executed well is the Walking Dead 7's rt rating system. There's a separate rating for every episode so far and they display the average rating of the episodes reviewed as the rating for the season. Though not every critic is gonna review every episode and that would be a lot of work to the Rt staff.

That sounds like a very broken system.

just finished. that show wasn't that good. the acting for the most part was good, sometimes it was weird though.

but the script and dialogue were just off.

Sorry, I just cannot agree. Iron Fist was better in everyway.

Finn Jones > Stephen Amell
IF Villains > Arrow Villains
Colleen Wing > Felicity Smoke

And so on and so on. Honestly, I do not see any 1 way Arrow is better.

Not better, more entertaining. While Season 3 and 4 might have been abysmal, Season 1 and 2 were still pretty solid with some great action and memorable villains. And it's apparently making a comeback with Season 5, though I can't judge, because I dropped it too after Season 4. But like you, I will watch it eventually.

And I think Chris is right, the fact that Arrow is more lighthearted and can be pretty cheesy at times, is definitely giving the show a lot more leeway. And that's my problem with Iron Fist. It's just not really entertaining. I came for Kung Fu action, mysticism and Asian lore, and there was simply nothing that left any kind of lasting impression on me. I really enjoyed the drunken fist dude, because he was charming and fun, and I would have loved to see more of him, but even his fight wasn't really all that impressive. And sure, Colleen was great, I am always happy to see more of Claire and Madam Gao delivered as always, but they are not saving the show from simply being way too bland. I am struggling to think of a scene that I'd like to rewatch.

Not better, more entertaining. While Season 3 and 4 might have been abysmal, Season 1 and 2 were still pretty solid with some great action and memorable villains. And it's apparently making a comeback with Season 5, though I can't judge, because I dropped it too after Season 4. But like you, I will watch it eventually.

And I think Chris is right, the fact that Arrow is more lighthearted and can be pretty cheesy at times, is definitely giving the show a lot more leeway. And that's my problem with Iron Fist. It's just not really entertaining. I came for Kung Fu action, mysticism and Asian lore, and there was simply nothing that left any kind of lasting impression on me. I really enjoyed the drunken fist dude, because he was charming and fun, and I would have loved to see more of him, but even his fight wasn't really all that impressive. And sure, Colleen was great, I am always happy to see more of Claire and Madam Gao delivered as always, but they are not saving the show from simply being way too bland. I am struggling to think of a scene that I'd like to rewatch.

What about the Hallway-to-Elevator fight scene? [BLACKOUT]Or the padded cell beatdown that led to running down the hallway and wrecking that heavy armored door?[/BLACKOUT] Or some of the scenes from the tournament episode, like [BLACKOUT]the two dudes (were they brothers?) fighting Danny, or cool assassin with the weapons fight at the end of the tournament? Hell, that assassin singing karaoke after he killed everyone in the room was cool. I really liked the compound fight where Danny and Davos were taking on tons of people. And the Bakuto finale was great. I also loved all of the Colleen MMA cage fight scenes. Colleen wrecking her students when they tried killing her, too.[/BLACKOUT]

I really enjoyed the drunken master fight scene too.

I think there were quite of few memorable scenes for me.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the drunken master fight scene too.

I honestly preferred his whole attitude more than the fight itself. Personally, of all the newly introduced characters, I find him the most memorable.

If BvS can survive the 29%, IF can do the same. For sure, both projects aren't for everyone (I loved BvS), but if you're a fan, you're a fan, don't matter what the score on RT is. You like what you like.

I honestly preferred his whole attitude more than the fight itself. Personally, of all the newly introduced characters, I find him the most memorable.
The character and scene was the only stand out thing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"