The Thor: Ragnarok Rotten Tomatoes/Critic's Reaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starts with 87/100 on Critics' Choice (the site of Broadcast Film Critics Association).

http://www.criticschoice.com/search/?s=thor

http://www.criticschoice.com/bfca/

The Broadcast Film Critics Association is the largest film critics organization in the United States and Canada, representing more than 300 television, radio and online critics.

Our collective membership is the primary source of information for today’s entertainment consumers. The very first opinion a moviegoer hears about new releases at the multiplex or the art house usually comes from one of our members.

Founded in 1995, the BFCA presents its Critics’ Choice Awards each year to honor the finest achievements in filmmaking.

The BFCA also selects a Film of the Month and officially recommends other worthy films throughout the course of the year. As an additional service to moviegoers, each film is given a Critics’ Choice Rating (on a 1-100 scale, 100 being the highest), based on the cumulative grades each film receives in the monthly balloting.

Okay everyone, embargo lifts tomorrow so it's time to start this thread. In the words of Valkyrie, "HERE WO GO!"

Thor: Ragnarok Rotten Tomatoes Page
Well done Fin. This thread will help everyone by only displaying the RT ratings, and reviews from certified critics.

giphy.gif

One gotta subscribe in order to see the review.

I'm not subscribed, yet I can see it. Weird. Here's the whole text.

IN Thor: Ragnarok, the hammer comes down as usual, but the humour goes up in a whole new way for a Marvel superhero movie.

It is definitely no classic, but an appreciably looser, livelier approach will reinvigorate those beginning to tire of the standard Marvel formula.

This is the third big-screen solo outing for Thor, and the big burly bearded bloke has never been in better form.

While he is still required to smash stuff up, this time he is also looking to crack you up.

The first thing you notice about Thor: Ragnarok is while it supplies the kind of sprawling action spectacle Marvel is renowned for, it is also a sly, dry comedy packed with deadpan punchlines and absurd sight gags.

The good-natured goofiness to the fore here is definitely the handiwork of New Zealand filmmaker Taika Waititi, fresh off his 2016 global sleeper hit Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

When Waititi and an openly enthusiastic cast – led by Australian duo Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and Oscar-winner Cate Blanchett as his evil older sister Hela – get the laughs going on a roll, the movie’s charm is irresistible.

In spite of Thor’s longstanding association with The Avengers, this lighter, brighter vibe leaves Ragnarok often feeling like a Guardians of the Galaxy spin-off.

So what does the word Ragnarok mean exactly? Well, it is the realisation of an ancient prophesy forecasting the complete obliteration of Thor’s beloved home realm of Asgard.

For the bulk of the film, there is precious little the titular hero can do about this bleak situation.

Not only has the villainous Hela taken control of Asgard. In her self-propelled ascension to the throne, Hela has maliciously, yet matter-of-factly smashed Thor’s mighty hammer Mjolnir to bits.

That takes some doing, no matter how sinister or super-powered you happen to be. Clearly, Hela – fond of referring to herself as “the goddess of death” – is a force of evil to be reckoned with.

(She is no fashionista, however. Hela likes to slink around in a open-shouldered, flexi-Kevlar catsuit under a whopping pair of shiny rubber antlers. Far from giving off a she-who-must-be-feared vibe, it leaves Hela looking like the chief dominatrix at an S&M club for reindeer.)

Meanwhile, Thor is being held captive on the far-flung planet of Sakaar by a freaky fight impresario known as The Grandmaster. (Jeff Goldblum).

A twitchy blend of traditional entrepreneur and rebel dictator, The Grandmaster is promoting a stadium slugfest that will pit Thor against his old Avengers pal The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo).

Despite the huge disparity in mismatched weight divisions between the two opponents, the smackdown turns out to be quite an even contest (and a great chance for Thor to show off his new haircut ... that’s right: Thor’s lustrous locks are no more, ladies!)

Thor’s only chance of wriggling free from this tight bind is to get on the good side of the fiery bounty hunter Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), and somehow form a reliable alliance with his devious brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston).

The revolving-door integration of fan fave Loki throughout Thor: Ragnarok is very well deployed by Waititi.

Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth share a particular and potent comic connection that makes even the simplest scene of the pair conversing come alive. Both actors haven’t been this switched-on and ready for anything on screen for a few years now.

(Hey Hollywood! Give these guys a buddy-cop movie. They’ve got the right kind of double-act to pull it off.)

It will be interesting to see how fans of the Thor franchise respond to the new character of Valkyrie. She has been given a lot of screen time here, possibly in response to the smash-hit success of Wonder Woman earlier this year.

Tessa Thompson (best known for her breakout performance in the boxing drama Creed) has the combative presence and overall attitude to fill the role – she is certainly a far better actor than Gal Gadot, that’s for sure – yet Thor: Ragnarok seems unsure of how to make best use of her talents.

It doesn’t exactly help that Valkyrie’s defining personal trait is being drunk as often as possible. After a while, it gets kind of creepy to see a near-poisonous level of alcohol abuse passed off as normal. Not a good look for any impressionable youngsters who might be watching.

This is the one real misstep of a movie that otherwise walks the walk in assured fashion.

There is a fair whack of story for Thor: Ragnarok to work through, and there are sections of the movie where it doesn’t quite strike the right balance between its mythical obligations and mirthful intentions.

In other words, there are times where the movie must behave like a Marvel movie should. Links must be established or maintained to other stars twinkling elsewhere in the studio’s ‘Cinematic Universe’ (which, for example, explains the brief visit from Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange.)

After each item of Marvel business is seen to, Ragnarok can take a breather and be a wittily self-deprecating (and very funny) Taika Waititi movie again.

Overall, there is a fresh energy and endearingly laid-back sense of style at work in Thor: Ragnarok that will hopefully turn the page to a whole new chapter in the Marvel playbook.

THOR: RAGNAROK (M)

Rating: three and a half stars (3.5 out of 5)

I advice you not to read reviews! I just read Independent's and it spoiled a great line that would have had me cracking up in the theater.

6 reviews in. All fresh.

Matt Singer
ScreenCrush October 19, 2017
Leans in to the notion that Thor laughs in the face of danger by creating a movie that invites the audience to laugh right along with him.
Full Review | Original Score: 7/10

Linda Marric
HeyUGuys October 19, 2017
Let loose on the Marvel universe, Waititi manages not only to keep the faithful happy, but also bring his own brand of silliness to the proceedings without ever falling into predictable territory.
Full Review | Original Score: 5/5

Matt Looker
TheShiznit.co.uk October 19, 2017
Thor has finally found his place in the MC Universe, and it's in comedy.
Full Review | Original Score: 5/5

Tim Grierson
Screen International October 19, 2017
A grinningly goofy comic-book movie that reverberates with boyish delight.

Scott Mendelson
Forbes October 19, 2017
Strong visuals, gonzo action and a high comedy compensate for generic plotting, a padded midsection and a lack of drama.
Full Review | Original Score: 6.0/10

Mike Ryan
Uproxx October 19, 2017
A crazy, colorful, ambitious, hilarious ride through the cosmos.
Full Review | Original Score: 8/10

so its a comedy movie, i dont like comedy movies, only superhero movies.

100%
Average Rating: 8/10
Reviews Counted: 12
Fresh: 12
Rotten: 0

so its a comedy movie, i dont like comedy movies, only superhero movies.

There were enough reaction, who said it has a lot of Drama in it too. Lets be confident with that.

I particularly liked this one short review.
Leans in to the notion that Thor laughs in the face of danger by creating a movie that invites the audience to laugh right along with him.

There were enough reaction, who said it has a lot of Drama in it too. Lets be confident with that.
I loved reading the comics with the stakes high and the quips coming.
Drama with good comedic timing and taste is an awesome combination.
MAKE MINE MARVEL
GO THOR!!! oH!! and Hela. LOTS of Hela:ilv::ilv:

100%
Average Rating: 7.8/10
Reviews Counted: 22
Fresh: 22
Rotten: 0

Last edited:
Anyone else bothered that this is sounding more like a parody or comedy than a Thor film? Check out these pull-lines:
Ragnarok is basically a joke delivery system
screenwriters and I finally seem to agree on one thing: the Thor movies are preposterous.
Not sure what I feel about this personally...Thor deserves a Lord of the Rings style drama at some point and we knew we weren't getting this from the director they chose. I am also concerned that it will ruin the stakes, like what often happened in Guardians 2. Also, this is going to play out very weirdly as a trilogy if they do this. The first Thor has funny moments but takes itself mostly seriously and has some awesome moments because of that. Hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"