• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The SHH Member's Spoilery Thor: Ragnarok Review Thread (**WARNING: SPOILERS**)

Finarfiniel

Mistress of Magic
Reaction score
Okay, Ragnarok is now officially upon us people. It opened in the UK today and will roll out across the rest of Europe and Australisia all this week so it's definitely time for this thread.

Post your spoiler filled reviews in this thread. To view member's SPOILER FREE reviews please go here.

I'm not going to dissect the film blow by blow.

Rather, as an overall impression 9/10, better than either Avengers films.

It was fantastic and it lived up to the hype.

There were a couple of bits that I thought dragged, but for the most part the pacing was great. The humour was terrific - and I didn't think Taika could pull off the big effects and action, but he totally delivered.

Wish there had been a little more Rock n roll music in it, but when the immigrant song played, for Thor's power up moments, well that gave me chills.

My only gripe is that I didn't find the score that engaging - you know to really elevate a film you need a score that's memorable and recognizable (e.g. the Bourne films, LOTR, the Avengers, the Dark Knight, Star Wars, Superman TM - you hear the music and you recognize it, I think one of the great strengths of GOTG is that they used the same main theme in both films - and I feel like Cap desperately needs a recognizable motif).

But otherwise this film is awesome. Thor fans and non Thor fans alike are going to love this movie.

GOTG is my favorite MCU film (and probably one of my top 5 films of all time) and Ragnarok gives GOTG a run for its money.

Last edited:
Some of my favourite parts:

-The opening is incredible in telling us what Thor has been up to since AoU,setting the tone for the whole movie and giving a full display of Thor's powers and abilities.
- I loved the score
- The Dark World's play in Asgard was hysterical
- Loved the Dr Strange cameo
- The Norway scene was very heartfelt imo
- Hela is powerful and mean AF
- Sakaar is amazing
- The Thor-Loki relationship is still great
- Korg is a great little character
- Valkirye is a scene stealer and has a lot of potential for future appearances
- Thor vs Hulk, 'nuff said!
- Hulk's child-like personality was so on point
- Loved all the story,visual and musical callbacks to Thor,Avengers,TDW and AoU
- Heimdall keeps being the unsung hero of the franchise
- Thor unlocking his true power and his vision of Odin
- Thor basically becoming Odin
- The Ragnarok finale

I totally forgot that I started this thread. :funny:

So, what were everyone's favourite lines? The ones I can remember are:

"Thor. Son of Odin."
"Surtur. Son of... a *****, you're still alive!"

"PISS OFF GHOST!" :lmao:

"Another day, another Doug."

"I HAVE BEEN FALLING... FOR THIRTY MINUTES!"

"I picked them up in a place on Midgard called Tex-arse."

"****." <- Haha, Anthony Hopkins as Loki!Odin is the best

"Odin is dead. I have disposed of the princes. You're welcome by the way."

"Hey, man. I'm Korg. We're getting out out of here. Wanna come?"

:woot:

I totally forgot that I started this thread. :funny:

So, what were everyone's favourite lines? The ones I can remember are:

"Thor. Son of Odin."
"Surtur. Son of... a *****, you're still alive!"

"PISS OFF GHOST!" :lmao:

"Another day, another Doug."

"I HAVE BEEN FALLING... FOR THIRTY MINUTES!"

"I picked them up in a place on Midgard called Tex-arse."

"****." <- Haha, Anthony Hopkins as Loki!Odin is the best

"Odin is dead. I have disposed of the princes. You're welcome by the way."

"Hey, man. I'm Korg. We're getting out out of here. Wanna come?"

:woot:

Piss off Ghost was one of the funniest scenes in film history. I was in bits!

Also, Korg saying "Miek? Oh Miek is dead" at the end hahahahahaha

Piss off Ghost was one of the funniest scenes in film history. I was in bits!

Also, Korg saying "Miek? Oh Miek is dead" at the end hahahahahaha

Just anything Korg said.

The whole bit about Doug and him fighting the champion and then going 'oh doug died'

And the end bit about rebuilding Asgard as the foundations are intact. 'Oh no the foundations are gone now' :mnm: Like I knew exactly where that was going but still was great.

Yeah Korg was just amazing, so so funny. Hope we see him again.

This movie had a Throg reference and Kate Blanchet. Therefore this movie is perfect.

Also, when Hulk is sad that he does not get to fight the big monster I almost died, that was so adorable!!!! It was also nice seeing him being friends with Valkirie, Hulk seemed to have found some degree of happiness as a gladiator, but alas...

Also I wanna see a road movie just with Korg and his bug friend, trying to make overly polite and friendly rebellions wherever they go.

There. My reviews are very short.

Surtur says son of a *****? Why would he talk like that? This is the kind of stuff I was very wary of after hearing they hired a goofy director. Hope it doesn't completely ruin the movie.

Surtur says son of a *****? Why would he talk like that? This is the kind of stuff I was very wary of after hearing they hired a goofy director. Hope it doesn't completely ruin the movie.

Nope,Thor calls him that.

Surtur: Thor,Son of Odin
Thor: Surtur,son of...a *****!

Well that was fun! Loved it and it still had a few surprises for me even though I thought I was completely spoiled. I knew about Sam Neill and Matt Damon but had no idea that Luke Hemsworth was playing Thor. Too funny. They must have cracked up on set with him in costume.

I didn't expect to like the Valkyrie but she was great. Loved Thor finally wising up to Loki although I'm sure he'll double cross Thor with whatever he has stolen right at the end. I laughed at Loki's little "I'm not playing 'Get Help!' when Hela showed up on the bridge. Thor constantly lobbing things at Loki was hilarious and he did finally get a bit of payback in this movie.

Jeff Goldblum was great too. They've toned down the colour set for that part of the film a bit (thankfully) so it wasn't as 80s as it could have been.

Korg was my favourite. And Chatty Hulk not far behind. It was nice to see him interact with everyone, especially Thor.

What an absolute ****ing blast from start to finish. I loved it.

In the top 3 Marvel movies for me, easily. Just a great, great time at the cinema.

Give Korg his own movie in phase 4.

In the top 3 Marvel movies for me, easily. Just a great, great time at the cinema.

What is your MCU movie rankings, if you don't mind?

Just wanted to know what is the post credit scene or scenes??

Just wanted to know what is the post credit scene or scenes??

Postcredit 1
Thor and Loki are wearing different, black outfits (possibly because this scene is lifted from Infinity War). They discuss how they will be safe from now on and are interrupted when a huge ship appears in front of them. It seems to be Sanctuary, or Thanos’ ship.

Postcredit 2
On Sakaar the Grandmaster gets up on a pile of rubble and is surrounded by the people who have overthrown him. He tries to ******** his way out of it, using his cocky charisma to tell the people they deserve a pat on the back for fighting so hard and that he is willing to call it a tie.

Heck yes!

I just saw it for a second time, after a two week break, and IMHO it holds up very well ^_^ Still had a great time

I can see myself catching it a third time at the cinema, which I don't do for every marvel movie (most I've ever been is four times).

This isn't really a review per se, I just needed somewhere to get things off my chest about this movie after seeing it today with my father.

So here's a list of things that bothered me:

1. One thing I love about the Marvel Studios Cinematic Universe is the continuity. Most movie franchises are fairly relaxed on continuity (which I am very opposed to), or in some cases blatantly disregard it (Fox's X-Men franchise, for example), so it's really nice to have a big franchise where everything little thing adds up. However, unless I'm missing something, Ragnarok screws that up.

In The last Thor movie, The Dark World, it is stated that Asgardians live for roughly 5,000 years. This is later corroborated when we learn the convergence of the nine realms (seemingly coincidentally) also happens every 5,000 years, and Odin's father, Bor (then King of Asgard), was the one who dealt with Malekith at the previous convergence (therefore, implying that Odin had either not been born at this point, or was a baby / young child).

Yet in Ragnarok, the history revealed between Odin and Hela suggests Odin has been around a lot longer than that, even that he may have been the first Asgardian, yet from The Dark World, we know he had a father (Bor) and a grandfather (Buri). And in the first scene of Ragnarok, Thor says he thought his father killed Surtur the Fire Giant "half a million years ago". This just doesn't add up.

2. The huge cliffhanger at the end of The Dark World, Loki secretly being on the throne of Asgard, disguised as Odin, is simply disregarded, thrown away as a joke. People had been waiting for the pay-off from that cliffhanger for four years, and it's just wasted.

3. The Warriors Three, Thor's closest friends, are all killed off nonchalantly, and there is no recognition of that whatsoever from Thor. His three closest friends all killed, nothing.

4. Where is Lady Sif? She isn't mentioned once. No concern from Thor, it's like she doesn't exist. What was she on vacation from Asgard when the events of the film take place?

5. Supporting characters from the previous Thor movies are disregarded, no mention of them, bar Jane, who is written out with two lines of dialogue explaining her and Thor broke-up. Again, played for laughs. It renders the relationship between them built up in previous movies pointless. Which makes me mad as a fan on that relationship.

6. It ruins one of The Dark World's best scenes in my opinion. Loki's sacrifice. Completely makes a mockery of it, now it will never be able to be taken seriously by anyone watching The Dark World again.

7. The previous points show this movie is disrespectful of what came before it in the trilogy and the work others had put into the franchise.

8. Loki is wasted, nothing interesting happens with his character this time around, he's just there for laughs, like everyone else in this movie. Bear in mind he is a fan-favorite who hasn't been seen on- screen in four years.

9. The over reliance on humor in the film made me cringe. Half of the gags after that are just people falling over or being knocked over by something, as if it's written by Miranda Hart. Without Jeff Goldblum or the character Korg, the humor in this movie would be painful.

10. There is no sense of threat or weight to anything that happens because of the relentlessly slapstick tone. You just don't care about any of it. If the characters don't take their situation seriously, why should the audience care?

11. The entire population of Asgard seems to be less than a hundred people. Honestly, I think I must be missing something here, it was bizarre.

12. Iron Man Three was originally meant to have an alcoholism subplot, which presumably would have been dealt with in a serious manner, yet Disney shot it down and it didn't make it past the first draft of the script. Yet, here, in Thor: Ragnarok, Valkyrie is very openly and repeatedly shown to be struggling with her own alcoholism, yet in this movie Valkyrie's alcoholism is played for laughs (as is everything else). Surely that's worse? Treating alcoholism as a joke, rather than portraying it in a serious manner in Iron Man Three. Which would you rather your children see alcoholism portrayed as? I don't understand the thinking here, Disney. I really don't.

So there you have it, I give Thor Ragnarok a 5/10.

Last edited:
That all sounds really terrible to me. I had a feeling the movie would pan out like this when I heard they hired a goofy director.

It does sound bad, just go in expecting an action comedy.

Technically, it has to be a good movie, hence the reviews.

Lets rephrase how it sounds bad.."it doesn't meet what I was hoping for". So, lets change our expectations. We knoe the tone now. We've had weeks to process the dissappointment. That is more than enough time to accept what we feel about this movie guys.

There are plenty of comedies we have all enjoyed

This isn't really a review per se, I just needed somewhere to get things off my chest about this movie after seeing it today with my father.

So here's a list of things that bothered me:

1. One thing I love about the Marvel Studios Cinematic Universe is the continuity. Most movie franchises are fairly relaxed on continuity (which I am very opposed to), or in some cases blatantly disregard it (Fox's X-Men franchise, for example), so it's really nice to have a big franchise where everything little thing adds up. However, unless I'm missing something, Ragnarok screws that up.

In The last Thor movie, The Dark World, it is stated that Asgardians live for roughly 5,000 years. This is later corroborated when we learn the convergence of the nine realms (seemingly coincidentally) also happens every 5,000 years, and Odin's father, Bor (then King of Asgard), was the one who dealt with Malekith at the previous convergence (therefore, implying that Odin had either not been born at this point, or was a baby / young child).

Yet in Ragnarok, the history revealed between Odin and Hela suggests Odin has been around a lot longer than that, even that he may have been the first Asgardian, yet from The Dark World, we know he had a father (Bor) and a grandfather (Buri). And in the first scene of Ragnarok, Thor says he thought his father killed Surtur the Fire Giant "half a million years ago". This just doesn't add up.

2. The huge cliffhanger at the end of The Dark World, Loki secretly being on the throne of Asgard, disguised as Odin, is simply disregarded, thrown away as a joke. People had been waiting for the pay-off from that cliffhanger for four years, and it's just wasted.

3. The Warriors Three, Thor's closest friends, are all killed off nonchalantly, and there is no recognition of that whatsoever from Thor. His three closest friends all killed, nothing.

4. Where is Lady Sif? She isn't mentioned once. No concern from Thor, it's like she doesn't exist. What was she on vacation from Asgard when the events of the film take place?

5. Supporting characters from the previous Thor movies are disregarded, no mention of them, bar Jane, who is written out with two lines of dialogue explaining her and Thor broke-up. Again, played for laughs. It renders the relationship between them built up in previous movies pointless. Which makes me mad as a fan on that relationship.

6. It ruins one of The Dark World's best scenes in my opinion. Loki's sacrifice. Completely makes a mockery of it, now it will never be able to be taken seriously by anyone watching The Dark World again.

7. The previous points show this movie is disrespectful of what came before it in the trilogy and the work others had put into the franchise.

8. Loki is wasted, nothing interesting happens with his character this time around, he's just there for laughs, like everyone else in this movie. Bear in mind he is a fan-favorite who hasn't been seen on- screen in four years.

9. The over reliance on humor in the film made me cringe. Half of the gags after that are just people falling over or being knocked over by something, as if it's written by Miranda Hart. Without Jeff Goldblum or the character Korg, the humor in this movie would be painful.

10. There is no sense of threat or weight to anything that happens because of the relentlessly slapstick tone. You just don't care about any of it. If the characters don't take their situation seriously, why should the audience care?

11. The entire population of Asgard seems to be less than a hundred people. Honestly, I think I must be missing something here, it was bizarre.

12. Iron Man Three was originally meant to have an alcoholism subplot, which presumably would have been dealt with in a serious manner, yet Disney shot it down and it didn't make it past the first draft of the script. Yet, here, in Thor: Ragnarok, Valkyrie is very openly and repeatedly shown to be struggling with her own alcoholism, yet in this movie Valkyrie's alcoholism is played for laughs (as is everything else). Surely that's worse? Treating alcoholism as a joke, rather than portraying it in a serious manner in Iron Man Three. Which would you rather your children see alcoholism portrayed as? I don't understand the thinking here, Disney. I really don't.

So there you have it, I give Thor Ragnarok a 5/10.

These are very fair and reasonable criticisms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"