Iron Man 2 Iron Man 2 Might be in IMAX 3D!

FlawlessVictory

Superhero
Reaction score
Could IRON MAN 2 be in 3D?
9/11/2008
Posted by Frosty

Just a few minutes ago, I finished a mini press conference with Stan Lee and Jon Favreau. Stan went first, and then we got Jon…each was about an hour. They were both promoting the upcoming “Iron Man” DVD/Blu-ray.

Anyway, while I’ll have a lot more in the next day or two, the highlight was Jon saying he’d love to do Iron Man 2 in 3D! He also called the IMAX “Dark Knight” footage a game changer and he said he’d love to shoot part of “Iron Man 2” in IMAX. Regarding the 3D, he said it’s all about the cost, but if they can make it happen he’d like to do it. He talked about getting to see the armor in 3D and how cool it would be.

While he was a bit cagey about specifics with “Iron Man 2,” he did mention Mandarin a lot and he said we can expect a lot more surprises in the sequel in terms of other comic book characters.

He also said he hopes to keep the story relatively simple in the sequel, but he hopes to raise the emotional and technical side of the story. Meaning, he wants the stakes to be raised for all the characters, but he’s not going to make it hard for a new audience to understand the story or make it so complicated that you have to work to follow it. He actually mentioned “The Dark Knight” and said they can keep that side of the playground. He wants to keep “Iron Man” light and fun.

He did talk about War Machine and mentioned Terrance Howard and his busy schedule. I think he’s definitely going to put on the armor in the sequel….but that’s just my vibe from the way he talked about it.

With the script still being worked on and a budget still up in the air, everything is subject to change. But the concept of “Iron Man 2” being in 3D sounds very cool. More very soon from the press day. I’ll try and get the audio up later today….

Update – while I don’t yet have the time to transcribe exactly what Jon said, I do have the audio for you to listen to right now. If you click here, you’ll get the entire interview, which is about 1 hour. Or you can click here and listen to the last 5 minutes where I asked Jon about the budget for the sequel and the IMAX question. This is the part where he ***** slaps 20th Century Fox and the way they make sequels and talks about 3D.
http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/9129/tcid/1

Massive Iron Man Update
Favreau joins IGN for lunch and reveals the latest details.
by Christopher Monfette

September 11, 2008 - IGN and a small number of journalists were able to sit down with writer/director and Iron Man mastermind Jon Favreau this afternoon for a lengthy and in-depth discussion on the upcoming sequel. The conversation was packed with fresh Iron Man news, including Favreau's thoughts on War Machine, the Mandarin and the art of the comic-book sequel.

On Iron Man's success…

FAVREAU: I was surprised by everything. I was surprised that the reviews were so strong, that it made so much money. I was surprised that Dark Knight had better reviews and made so much more money. On the one hand, it was a really unexpected, serendipitous summer. Oddly, when Dark Knight finally came out and was received the way it was, it was such a relief for me because I really felt like we went from nobody expecting anything to people starting to expect something…First, it was, "Who the hell cares about Marvel's b-level heroes," to Comic-Con where began building momentum, to this fever pitch where we were afraid that we'd disappoint and fail to meet expectations. And then Dark Knight comes in and makes history and all of a sudden, we felt the relief of that spotlight moving off of us from the guard tower. And now we have two years to lay low and work on the movie.

On what changed the tide of the superhero movie…

FAVREAU: I think 9/11. I think that was a game changer. I think people were looking for emotional simplicity, for escapism. There were superhero movies before Spider-Man, but Spider-Man hit at just the right time. It was the first way that we could get to those emotions. You couldn't say anything about politics, about war, but you put somebody in a costume and say, "This is the good guy, this is the bad guy," and you set that in a fantasy world or the Marvel universe, all of a sudden you allow people and kids and adults to experience those emotions. They're dealing with real emotions in an escapist way. And that's become more complex as we've become more comfortable seven years later, and you can have a movie like Dark Knight that shows people those things. There's a line you can't cross, but that line's moving. But I'm glad that I was able to hit the crest of the genre and I feel safe now that we have a built in audience. But you wonder how that is going to change. Whoever gets voted in, I think there's going to be an incredible transformation. I don't know what it's going to be, how the economy will affect that, or what the politics will look like. But change is coming, regardless, within our political system and our culture. And I wonder, as a moviemaker, how that's going to effect audiences and what the national attitude is. It's not something that turns on a dime.

On the script for Iron Man 2…

FAVREAU: The writing is coming along quite well. We've got Justin Theroux, who did Tropic Thunder. He echoes Downey's tastes a lot. He's an actor. He brings a real sense of fun. He's never worked in the genre before, so he has that great newcommer's enthusiasm. Then it's about, here are the books. We're breaking the story and pages are coming out, but it's more of a conversation than actual writing…We're looking – not so much for story, but for tone – at the Matt Fraction stuff. That series seems to be informed as much by our movie as by what happened with Iron Man before. It's informed by current events. I'm very impressed by what he's written.

On storytelling in comic-book films…

FAVREAU: There's always a sense of "let's save something for another movie." But I think there's a way to wade into it. In Spider-Man, he seems to be dealing with different issues in each film because they're very modular. But we want to stretch our movie out like three chapters of the same story… These are smart audiences now with the capacity to understand long-form, complex storytelling, and you're starting to see it more in TV and videogames. Movies are kind of what they are. It's like a rock and roll song – you've got your thing, your bridge and your end. So how do you keep making rock and roll songs, but also do the White Album? How do you put it all together with other movies and make it something that's a larger experience for people who are paying attention, but yet not so complex that if you're not paying attention you're going to not have fun? I'm a pretty smart audience member and I just don't have that attention span, so I want to figure out if I can get a better version of that while still upping the ante of what you're putting on the screen and the humor and the dialogue.

On mastering the suit…

FAVREAU: Truth be told, we were being very ambitious about what we were going to accomplish with the money we had. So we shot as much practical as we can, which I'm on board for. The Stan Winston suit and the way it was designed – let's see what we can accomplish. The Mark I – we got a lot accomplished with. By the time we got to the Mark II, we were doing a lot of flying and when we got into the stuff of him fighting in the real suit, it just looked terrible. Like Power Rangers. There was always money for the real suit to be replaced. The problem is that even though you're using a CG suit, the plates and the action are still based on what somebody was doing on the ground. So it's a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it's a bummer because we would have like to have had more of the flying. And we did add the one sequence where they went up into space, but it didn't sing as well as it could have had we always planned it that way. It left a lot of room to improve upon for next time. How do you out-do yourself? It's so nice to have succeeded from humble beginnings. And I've learned a lot more and I've found a way to be smart and clever about the humor of the action. At a certain point, it's just people fighting. And you've gotta do a good job of it. From Blade to Fantastic Four, it's basically the same thing. And if you remove it, it's no longer a superhero movie.

On the logistics of a star-studded, character-heavy Avengers film…

FAVREAU: That's the danger, isn't it? Forget about creatively. Just from a perspective of finances. But somehow they made Ocean's Eleven, so there are certainly business models. And I think it has more to do about whether people are enthusiastic about being in a movie that they'll be proud of. The truth is that most stars of that level would love to be in a movie where they're not everyday on the call sheet…

On the quality of comic-book sequels…

FAVREAU: This next one is gonna be good. Creatively, I've got a lot of room; I know everybody; people can't wait to see it. I'm definitely a part of the audience. If it's good, I'm there. But there's a pattern that the sequels are better than the first ones – X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Dark Knight. When you get into three's, it gets weird. Very hit or miss. And four's, well…That's harder. But I don't really have to go there yet. They trust me as a director. The studio needs this; they're just as excited as I am. Everybody's waiting to see what we do next…Swingers was fun, but it came and went. Elf was fun, but it came and went. And if you made sequels to those, it'd feel like double-dipping. It always gets worse. But with this, it can get better because it's meant to be a franchise. And as far as three goes, then it gets harder because you're scared. And then they start offering you a lot of dough.

It's not like I don't have enough money, and I'm not competitive enough to say, "Oh, I want a plane like him." I just want to make sure my family stays together; that I don't miss a year of my kid's life. And that becomes the challenge. You want to do all this stuff. You lived on a futon and ate Ramen noodles for years so that you could have these opportunities, and now you're gonna say "no" to them? But if you say "yes," you risk things that you've grown to love as well – your wife, your kids. So with the third one, you say, "OK, what are they asking of me? What is there left to say? What am I doing this for?" But what's nice about this is that with The Avengers, you'll have other characters coming in and going out, and that's going to change the dynamic. There will be more of a sense of fun; we'll get more playful. But yes, I'd love to work for 10 years on one successful, L.A.-based franchise with people I like and connect with, telling stories that I think have some social and emotional resonance, but aren't so heavy-handed that it's no longer fun. Plus, I get to play around with all the new toys and CG and all the stuff I read about in Starlog.

On the use of technology…

FAVREAU: They've done a lot with IMAX. I was sitting next to James Cameron at a screening of Dark Knight and that first shot comes out – that helicopter shot of the city – and we both went, "Wow!". Visually, there's always something interesting… I'd love to do something in IMAX with this next one. Potentially even in 3-D, especially for the HUD.

On the War Machine…

FAVREAU: I want to do it. We're drawing War Machine; we're figuring it out; we're talking to Terrence. I think Terrence was smaller in the first movie than we anticipated, but it does set the table very well for this character. Again, you look for ways to up the ante. It's tough to do that on the villain side without going into strange territory. But what we can do is have a lot of fun with our family, our main characters…We'll see how that basic group of four people moves forward toward the inevitable Avengers, as well as the Mandarin and how largely he looms. But mostly from a perspective of tone.

On a bigger, better sequel…

FAVREAU: I don't want to make it too complicated with the plot. I don't want to ask people to follow something that I wouldn't be able to follow. There's emotional complexity that we'll find with the characters, but not plot complexity. I'm going to bring you up to speed and tell a fun story. But you do need to add complexity, and I'll add complexity emotionally, as far as the tech, as far as the look. If you're a fan, you'll see that the suit has changed. The HUD has changed. He's making improvements and innovations. What has happened since he said, "I am Iron Man?" We're going to find that out.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/909/909574p1.html

Last edited:
I know you are kidding, but are you kidding me?

haha

Iron Man is the second best superhero movie ever. TDK was unreal and worthy of all the praise it is getting, but Iron Man is fantastic on its own merits and for completely different reasons

this is sweet news ps

All the main movie sites have interviewed Favreau. I think IGN is the only one who has the whole interview written

http://movies.ign.com/articles/909/909574p2.html

On the use of technology…

FAVREAU: They've done a lot with IMAX. I was sitting next to James Cameron at a screening of Dark Knight and that first shot comes out – that helicopter shot of the city – and we both went, "Wow!". Visually, there's always something interesting… I'd love to do something in IMAX with this next one. Potentially even in 3-D, especially for the HUD.

Huh i thought Cameron was in New Zealand shooting alien species :huh:

All the main movie sites have interviewed Favreau. I think IGN is the only one who has the whole interview written

http://movies.ign.com/articles/909/909574p2.html

Huh i thought Cameron was in New Zealand shooting alien species :huh:

These guys are world travelers, they could be in New Zealand one morning and back in America for dinner. (or however long it takes to get back)

back on topic:

I would love for Iron Man to be in IMAX

I'd go see it, if it was on IMAX.

BUt there better be some 3-D scenes advertised before I lay down a ticket.

Fav is the man!

I seriously truly believe that he is just as good of a director for Iron Man as Nolan is for Batman

their styles each work really well for their respective franchise

It's ridiculous how well Favs has handled this franchise. To date, I don't believe he's said anything that's given me a moment's pause.

I think the IMAX treatment is going to become more common fare for the higher-profile features, but the inclusion of 3D effects is a most welcomed possibility.

iron man and the dark knight are the ying and yang of superhero movies, both polar opposites and very sucessful...

I don't think superherofilms should be darker than the dark knight or lighter than iron man, they should all sit in the middle

iron man and the dark knight are the ying and yang of superhero movies, both polar opposites and very sucessful...

I don't think superherofilms should be darker than the dark knight or lighter than iron man, they should all sit in the middle

I think all superhero franchise should get directors like these two. They all don't have to be dark movies, and they all don't have to be fun, they just have to tell a story that does there characters justice. Letterier and Norton did a good job too, just not on the same level

the funny thing with both of these films, there a distinct lack of glorified action sequences

maybe this may be the beginning of the end of the final fight sequence in superhero or having alarge emphasis on a battle-esque showdown.

the funny thing with both of these films, there a distinct lack of glorified action sequences

maybe this may be the beginning of the end of the final fight sequence in superhero or having alarge emphasis on a battle-esque showdown.

In a way yes and no.

I bet IM2 has a monster battle now that the ante has been upped.

TDK chase scene is among the best chase scenes in movie history.

Heh doubtful :cwink:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48774

Q: This movie ends with a brawl. In the sequel are you looking to transcend that and go bigger than that?

Favreau: I am. I mean, a lot of that truth be told came from the fact that we were being very ambitious as far as what we were going to accomplish with the amount of money that we had. So we went forward with the plan of, "Lets shoot as much practically as we can..." which I'm onboard for because I like that kind of thing. I loved the Stan Winston suit and the way that it was designed. I like going, "Let's see what we can accomplish with it." Well, the Mark I we got a lot accomplished with. I'd say that ninety percent of what you see in there is the suit with a little bit of wire removal or removing the hoses for the flames, but a lot of that was practical. Certainly it was just augmentation, and then by the time that you got to the Mark II you were doing a lot of flying and we hand it off even more and the suit that they built was a great reference for ILM, but then when we got into the stuff with him fighting with the real suit it just looked terrible. It looked like the Power Rangers. There was always the money for the real suit to be replaced. They always had it to the side and we finished on time and on budget so we had money left over to do that, and the problem is that even though you're using a CG suit the plates and the action are still based on what someone was going to do on the ground. So it's a sort of mixed blessing on. On the one hand it's a bummer because we would've liked to have more of the flying, and we did add one sequence where they went up into space, but it just sort of sang really as well as it could've had we planned originally to have it that way. But the good news is that it was successful and people liked it because of the characters and the emotion and ultimately what the whole of the film was and it left us a lot of room to improve upon it for the next time around. That's another big challenge, how do you outdo yourself. When you go to hear you have to go further the next time and you're just going to lose your personality. So it's nice to have succeeded with humble beginnings as far as the action goes. Now I know I've learned a lot more. The last thing that we shot, the re-shoots with what used to be second unit and then we went out there with a unit and shot it, the part where the hostages are being taken and the guns came out of the shoulders. I think we found the personality and the sense of humor of the action. I found a way to be smart and clever about that, I think, and that was always my problem. It was like whenever you cut to the action it was like, "Okay, now have them hit each other." In every movie that you look at, even in the good ones it's tough to get away from that whether it's the new Batman, which is sort of the gold standard. But if you look at it it's still just people fighting. It's just people going at it and you have to do a good of it and have it coordinated well…If you remove it then it's not a superhero movie anymore because there are people who will go to see that and that's what's going to make people go see your trailer and that's what's going to make you open enough to have the budget that you need to do it right.

Good thing that he is aware of the things that according to him didn't work.

Iron Man possibly being in Imax 3D.....:up:

I wonder if Favreau will use James Cameron's stereoscopic cameras .
Would be quite cool :woot:

But yeah i'd definately want to see this stuff in IMAX 3-D. Say what you want about Superman Returns , the plane rescue was amazing in 3-D

IM2 shown in Imax - thats awesome news. :up:

I was disappointed that the first Iron Man movie wasn't shown in Imax. It would have made watching the movie more awesome.

IMAX and 3D is really the way for movies like this to be shown. Hopefully Favreau and co. can get the funds to pull it off.

He sounds very ambitious with his plans for the sequels. Look forward to see how it turns out.:up:

Is that a bite mark I see on Chris Nolan's arm...I think it is...

Because he just got bit! Faveau's a BITER...

imax footage sounds great but i could def do without the 3-d not a fan of that after i saw beowulf

Iron Man's HUD in 3D would, quite literally, make me splooge.

Everywhere.

Favreau really comes across well publically. Even when he talks about politics he tries not to show his hand and not come across like a political *****e bag like some Hollywood schmucks.

IMAX eh? It'd help poor in the money for sure but I'd hope it'd be in thetares that allow people to see it none 3D. I'm not a fan of those glasses LOL. Sounds like the film will be good though, can't wait for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"