• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Punisher Jon Bernthal IS Frank Castle / The Punisher

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
tumblr_o4vloyoFwP1rey868o1_500.gif

The man himself needs a thread. Bernthal gave an awesome performance in Daredevil, can't wait for more of his Punisher.

Last edited:
Easily the best Frank Castle portrayal. We should probably make a Ben Barnes thread too although we're not sure who he's playing yet.

Agreed. Glad he's got his own forum and definitely excited for this series. Hopefully we get the same level of both action and emotional drama that we got from the bits of Castle in Daredevil.

Though I'm curious about all that speculation that he may pop up in Agents of SHIELD for whatever reason.

He was great in DD. I looked foward to his bits more than the whole magic ninja stuff. Definetly the best part of season 2.

I really hope his Punisher is not great just in small doses, I hope he can carry the weight of a full series.

He was the best Frank Castle but that isn't hard given he easily had the best writing and got to showcase the most depth. I like the Punisher comics that get into Frank's psychology so I wouldn't mind seeing some of that explored in the show.

PUNINTR_Priest.jpg

Last edited:
He was perfect in Daredevil, and I can't wait to see him in his own series.

Much agreed! He embodies the role so well I feel as if this were one of the roles in his life that he was just born to play! :) So happy netflix decided to do this series, as he was the main character that kept daredevil season 2 going for me :)

He was great in DD. I looked foward to his bits more than the whole magic ninja stuff. Definetly the best part of season 2.

I really hope his Punisher is not great just in small doses, I hope he can carry the weight of a full series.

Oh no doubt! :) Bernthal embodies his roles and gives them his all - as any truly great actor would do - This is what also excites me about this actor playing this role - he will undoubtedly hit it out of the ball park!

Easily the best Frank Castle portrayal. We should probably make a Ben Barnes thread too although we're not sure who he's playing yet.

We could have had something great with Tom Jane also if the production hadn't screwed the pooch before War Zone. The Dolph movie is standard vigilante fair of the 80's, Entertaining for its time. Stevenson is basically a placeholder for a big dude who can sell the part with the lowest effort. TJ is the only real competition who did the job by the numbers. Not a steal by any means by Bernthal. But I'm glad he is doing it. He has the range and the chops to take the character where he needs to go.

Yea I always liked Thomas Jane's portrayal, he was just in a lackluster movie. Jon Bernthal wasnt someone I thought of playing Frank Castle but when I read they casted him I was like damn that's actually a really good choice! And then he was! and it was easily one of my favorite moments ever in the MCU movies or shows...That moment In DD S2 when he showed up to the hospital looking like a big, dark shadow with a shotgun still gives me the chills.

I actually liked relocating the TJ movie to Miami. The Marvel U historically tended to stick *way* too much stuff in NYC, and the Punisher doesn't really have any reason it *must* be there. Miami works fine as a crime and violence-ridden city for Frank to punish in.

Myself and other Punisher fans hated him being in Florida. He's a NYC character. It's good that Netflix didn't do anything dumb like that again.

There were more issues than Miami in the 2004 movie. They essentially reimagined his whole origin. The fact he was a soldier was downplayed. Death of his family was a legit mob hit instead of a random tragedy. The problem was also adapting Welcome Back Frank. It is popular yes, but faithful adaptation makes it a comedic mess. They did an alright job.

With a slightly different angle could have worked a bit better with the money they got. They got a budget of nothing and pretty much chose Miami because it was cheap. On location the problem was the weather and trying to work around it. Not sure how much Artisan being swallowed by Lionsgate affected the production but that happened also.

The money issue was also the reason why they had to drop the opening scene where they actually covered Frank's time in the Marines. You can watch a version of it on the special edition DVD. It's "an animation" done By Jim Bradstreet. You could tell they extended fanservice as much as possible. They just didn't have the money to do it right essentially.

War Zone was basically a cash grab by Lionsgate before they ran out of license. It's not a bad movie and they had a lot of things right but it just wasn't enough.

I didn't like the Miami setting as presented in the Thomas Jane movie.

The Crackle show Startup does a far better job depicting the corrupt and criminal underbelly of modern Miami. De Palma & Stone's Scarface is still the most memorable Miami based criminal underworld depictions.

While The Punisher is a New Yorker and is often NYC based he does travel a lot in the comics. He is probably one of the more globetrotting Marvel characters.

I enjoyed The Punisher a lot; I liked the different setting from the usual New York and thought both Thomas Jane and John Travolta played their roles to perfection. It was a bit of a stretch seeing the entire Castle family being gunned down but, otherwise, I thought it was a great film.

Even though I was annoyed that they never made a sequel, I equally enjoyed Punisher: War Zone; it didn't have the same heart as The Punisher but it was a balls-to-the-wall, no excuses violent action film.

To be honest...I also quite liked Dolph Lundgren's Punisher, too. As a big fan of 1980s and 1990s over-the-top action films, it's a guilty pleasure. I have high hopes for the Netflix series to surpass them all, though, but I have no issue with the previous Punisher iterations.

Yeah I also thought the Thomas Jane Punisher film was pretty good and War Zone is a guilty pleasure of mine. I do think that this Punisher show will be the definitive take though or at least I hope it will be. What Jon brings to the role among other things is that you can almost feel his pain and lost.

I noticed in the trailers, Frank hasn’t been wearing the trench coat. I hope that they didn’t ditch it because it really completes the look.

I think we'll see a few scenes of him in the trench coat. I'm pretty sure i've seen a few set photos of him in the woods wearing a trench coat. I'd also like to see a scene of him walking the streets of New York in the trench coat at night.

This guy is great. Got to keep him around the shows as long as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"