Justice League Movie: Blogged and Memo to WB

Thanks to the movie.

He did have exposure before with a cartoon and the animated movie but it was nothing compared to Spider-man or Hulk. They've both had multiple cartoons over generations and Hulk had a hit tv show decades ago.
I'm not sure how well the public could recognize him. They maybe had an idea of what he looked like but not on the scale of someone like Spider-man or Hulk.

Granted, Spider-Man is Marvel's Flagship character, but Iron Man is well known and has been even before this film. I mentioned this in a previous post to ClarkLuther.

They certainly didn't know the details of the mythos. Even with the movie I bet most people couldn't recognize the Mandarin on sight assuming they even knew he existed at all. The people who watched the cartoon would, of course. Only it didn't get the exposure Hulk, Spider-man or X-men did from their successful cartoon series gave them. And he's the biggest enemy IM has!

There are not very many characters who many people do know about their mythos. That's kind of why writers and directors get away with origin stories or adaptations from existing comic book or novel storylines. Although this is the case, people do recognize or know of the character by name. This is not unlike someone knowing about Coca Cola, but not knowing how it originated. I think it is called brand recognition. Iron Man is a brand that has been well known before the film was released. If it wasn't it would not have made more than $100 million in its first weekend.

There are other characters and even teams. DC's got tens of thousands to choose from. Unfortunately their first hurdle is to get WB's attention. They can't make a movie out of a franchise they don't know exists even if they own it.

To be honest with you, although DC has gone through numerous characters over the decades, they only promote 57 or so, and of that number maybe 7 are their most popular. This is far less than Marvel who publicly boast 5000.

Fairfax, Va.: Dear Mr. Levitz:
Big DC and Batman fan; I've got two questions for you.
Will DC ever re-release the "Crusade" and "Search" parts of the Batman Knightfall series in trade paperback? While story line is brilliant, the trilogy doesn't make that much sense when the 2nd volume ends with Batman in a wheel chair in Latin America, and the 3rd volume begins with Batman walking again in Gotham.

Also, why won't DC allow for the main actors in their recently released movies like Dark Knight, and Superman Returns to come back for the upcoming Justice League movie? Marvel is making sure all their main actors are coming for the Avengers film. Virtually all the fan websites want Christian Bale, and the like to come back for continuity reasons, yet DC keeps saying no. What gives?
Thank you.

Paul Levitz: There's no final casting decisions on a Justice League movie at this point. It's still very much in development.
from the horses mouth

AWESOME POST, Kevin Smith... my comments.

2010 IS THE ONLY CHANCE
- OR 2012... or or 2013. In my ideal world, JLA is shot three-movies at once like LOTR. I can wait a few years if they're going to do it 'right.'

RESPECT THE SOURCE
- Aaaaamen.

NO SECOND STRINGERS
- Cameo second stringers though. And certain characters, namely Batman, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman don't have to take part directly in combat, imho for the film to be awesome.

NO LESS THAN 2 HOURS & 15 MINUTES LONG
- Of course, character development is one thing missing from superhero movies of the past.

HOLY TRINITY
- Yes and No. Part of the problem with the Holy Trin is overexposure... it would not be good if the movie is "about" them and the rest of the league is supporting cast. Its gotta be truly ensemble... that said, it is impossible not to slide the spot light to Supe and Bats... hopefully a talented filmmaker can make Wondy not seem like affirmative action of the Trinity.

HAL JORDAN
- As a huge John Stewart fan, even I love the idea of Hal having a scene

THE FLASH
- Agreed, though I'd pitch Barry a bit older to set up for Wally in the near future, and I'd also have him die in the climax of the film

NO MORE SUPERMAN THE WUSS
- Yes and no. Superman does hold back, he does have a very powerful moral compass that some people would consider "outdated" and he needs it to keep himself from utterly decimating the planet. I think that should be honored, but it should be shown WHY he has it. The cartoon took a long time to get to that and the movies really didn't let it out much. Let Superman cut loose at the end, a real Dragonball Z-type battle. People will get it 'oh, that's why he's such a punk!'

BATMAN: THE THINKING MAN
- Yes, and yes, and then yes again. I don't know about the technology side, as the Begins series has him with a more realistically limited skillset, but having him be the thinking guy, just being extremely cunning would validate his place on the team for the doubters, and send geekgasms through the toes of Bat-fans.

A VILLAIN WORTHY OF THEIR TALENTS
- I see your villain and raise you a threat. The storyline and threat have to be bigger than any one leaguer could conceivably take on. A foe stronger than Superman, more versatile than GL, not daunted by Flash's speed, not easily outsmarted by Batman, that can require more sophisticated team tactics than 'dogpile on Darkseid.' My fave is Despero for this purpose. There are other villains who could do it, but at the end of the day, if the entire world is not in immediate danger, at least one or two of the leaguers could conceivably take the day off with no worries.

NO ORIGIN, PLEASE
- Origin please. Brief, organic. Once seperate heroes team up from early in the movie and by the time the end credits roll they've chosen a name. I want to be there to see it. Get all the base and gadgets and etc and JLA protocol and teleporters and stuff in the second movie, when it won't detract from developing these characters.

STAPLES OF THE LEAGUE
- Yes, MM. I don't think MM needs to be a combatant. Because of his ability to form the league, and his telepathic and shapeshifting abilities, limiting him from combat, any way you like for the first film, seems like a good idea. Honestly, that's less bruisers to keep up with for plotting the action and pacing and creating a suitable challenge. He can be full power in a sequel, imho. Aquaman too... he only really needs one good scene 'with' the League... and one really glorious moment where people can say, 'oh, Aquaman might be cool...'

CASTING WITH JUSTICE
- With Justice? LOL! But yeah, casting is a big thing. Every one of the leaguers and the main villain have to be inspired choices. In an ideal world, Tom Welling and Christian Bale would be Superman and Batman. But honestly, I'd save the big names for the lesser known characters, GL, Flash, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter, and villain... and cast reprisers or 'perfect unknowns' for the Trinity.

GET PEOPLE WHO GIVE A DAMN
- Please, yes.

THEY HAVE TO LOOK LIKE THE JLA
- Yes please.

IMPRESSIVE. MOST IMPRESSIVE
- The hard part... doing something impressive that feels impressive instead of hokey and corny. How big a thing can superman lift before it seems ridiculous? A jet? A planetoid? The Moon? It needs to be done, but, imho, the hardest part, especially because these individuals have such incredible abilities and have taken on such insane feats in the comics.

TEAM SCORE
- Clearly. In my perfect world, the individual scores of the film involve rifts on previous themes. The Wonder Woman theme song chords and resonance in Diana's Theme when she first appears. The Batman TAS orchestral chant (Bum, bum, bum-bum!) as part of his theme. The Classic Williams Score playing for Superman's triumphant... triumph.

NOT ANOTHER CARTOON
- So right.

AN AMERICAN NAME
- Awesome compromise.

DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS
- You right.

My Own thoughts, even though you covered everyting:

WONDER WOMAN
This is the one hero I would love to have a solo movie before a JL movie, since she's been out of the public eye for so very long. She has to be incredible, not the den mother stereotype, not the "badass" pointless plotless chick Hollywood has been taunting us with for the past few years (not that she shouldn't have that one badass moment), but fully realized warrior woman. Model her on Ripley if you have to... then cast Sigourney Weaver if you lack that much imagination to create a well developed growing female character, but make Wonder Woman worthy to stand between Batman and Superman. Make her a leader. Batman is the brains. Superman is the heart. Wonder Woman is the soul... she's the one who verbalizes it, speaks for them, she's the one who finds the compromise... she's the one who the team looks to in their worst conflicts.

REALISM DOESN'T MEAN GRITTY (OR REALISTIC)
A lot of times, people get hung up on realism and forget that anything that flows organically has a feeling of realism. If Superman's abilities and origin remain consistent throughout the film, it doesn't matter if he catches a plane... Superman now has realism.

LEAVE CLICHES AT THE DOOR
I know it's classic DC, I know how we love the silver age, but give me a twist... other than one of my favorite characters is secretly EVIL (I'm looking at you Max Lord)... make fun of some superhero cliches a bit even while going balls to the wall in classic superhero action. Be a smart movie, please. And don't just put stuff int he movie as an excuse to get something else in... everything has to be cohesive.

That's brilliant. :woot:

Paul Levitz: There's no final casting decisions on a Justice League movie at this point. It's still very much in development.
Just when was this said by Levitz? Was this posted to a board? Who was asking the question? Was this some kind of Q & A?

Mr. Levitz is president of DC Comics, so he might....might....have the inside scoops as to this movies' current status. We sorta knew that some recasting might take place, but the words "very much in development" point to the movie being on the front burner instead of being "tabled", or whatever term you want to use for indefinitely delayed. Interesting.

So you want to change the facts to suit your argument. Is that it? Look first of all, if a franchise has never been released to the public before, we actually don't know if it truly is bankable or not so it must be compared against the success rate of other films that have been released. It may be better if compared to other films in its genre but there are no guarantees. Here is a list of Superhero films that have been released over the last 30 years:

Batman
Blade
Captain America
Catwoman
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Hellboy
Hulk
Iron Man
Love and Plutonium
My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Mystery Men
Red Sonja
Rocketeer
Sidekick
Sky High
Spawn
Spider-Man
Steel
Supergirl
Superman
The Crow
The Incredibles
The Mask
The Phantom
The Shadow
The Specials
TNMT
Ultraviolet
Unbreakable
X-Men
Zoom

I am going to tell you right now, out of that list of 33 films, there are only 13 that would be considered bankable

I love how you manipulate and twist the numbers by including tons of obscure, low-budget direct-to-video movies and garbage films like Steel, CINO and Ultraviolet. Seriously, Sidekick, The Specials, and Love and Plutonium? I never even heard of those movies until right now. Quite a few of those movies are even comedy spoofs and not true superhero action blockbusters.

You talk about comparing possible new films to similar movies. A better approach would be to look at the superhero blockbusters in this decade's boom:

Blade
X-Men
Spider-Man
Blade 2
X2: X-Men United
Daredevil
Hulk
Spider-Man 2
Blade Trinity
Elektra
CINO
Fantastic Four
Batman Begins
X-Men: The Last Stand
Superman Returns
Spider-Man 3
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
The Dark Knight

Of these, only Blade Trinity, Elektra, and CINO have been true bombs. Even lousy movies like Fantastic Four have made their money.

This is not clear to me. First of all, the Hulk is one of Marvel's flagship characters. I don't think they would consider him second tier.

How bad is your reading comprehension? Of course Hulk is one of Marvel's main characters, I said as much in my previous post when I stated that his fame was only below Spider-Man and DC's Trinity.

But The Incredible Hulk, the MOVIE, was clearly Marvel's secondary film this summer.

Although that is possible, it is usually the case that a film with an ensemble cast stands a better chance of success than a solo film with with a second tier character.

Of course JLA, with Batman and Superman will draw more money than a solo Flash film. However, that JLA film could be one and done if it's mediocre.

Take Flash, or Green Lantern, and raise him to A-List status the Iron Man way. Give them their own huge franchise, build UP to a JLA film, and you'll see even more money.

Iron Man is as well known as Spider Man, X-Men or the Hulk. He may not be as popular as the first two, but he does have the name recognition.

Flat-out BS. Spider-Man and the Hulk have been A-listers for decades, with multiple cartoon series and live action movies and shows. X-Men was the hottest comic in the 80s and became a favorite for an entire generation of kids with the 1990s cartoon.

Iron Man...had a short-lived, mostly crappy cartoon that ran in syndication on Sundays during the 1990s. And some forgotten, barely animated cartoon from the 1960s.

Right off the bat, Batman and Superman will still be useable. their franchises have withstood flops and dissappointments. I am sure there will be other characters.

Oh sure, they'll still be usable...but not nearly as bankable for at least several years. Batman and Robin ensured that no Batman movie would be made for the next 8 years, and even watered down Batman Begins's box office. Superman Returns disappointed, and now further sequels are barely even discussed.

Then again, I don't expect "Justice League: Morta"l to be a flop.

It would've make its money like Fantastic Four, while underwhelming audiences and pissing off fanboys (freaking Armie Hammer and Jay Baruchel?). Then the sequel if it gets made will disappoint even more, because even stupid audiences won't be fooled twice.

The fact that both films had similar opening weekends and from the looks of it similar grosses is proof enough that they the franchise can only make about $220 to $250 million at best. This is not made up. You for one have already lowered your expectations for it calling it a second tier franchise.

Do you even know what "proof" is? A movie which was twisted around into talky crap by a name director who didn't understand the comic, and a movie that was clearly under-advertised, are NOT proof that the Hulk can't make more.

I don't have to. You just said so.

Nice comeback.:whatever: I still have no reason to respect any hack director just because you say so.

I love how you manipulate and twist the numbers by including tons of obscure, low-budget direct-to-video movies and garbage films like Steel, CINO and Ultraviolet. Seriously, Sidekick, The Specials, and Love and Plutonium? I never even heard of those movies until right now. Quite a few of those movies are even comedy spoofs and not true superhero action blockbusters.

You talk about comparing possible new films to similar movies. A better approach would be to look at the superhero blockbusters in this decade's boom:

Blade
X-Men
Spider-Man
Blade 2
X2: X-Men United
Daredevil
Hulk
Spider-Man 2
Blade Trinity
Elektra
CINO
Fantastic Four
Batman Begins
X-Men: The Last Stand
Superman Returns
Spider-Man 3
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
The Dark Knight

Of these, only Blade Trinity, Elektra, and CINO have been true bombs. Even lousy movies like Fantastic Four have made their money.

If anybody is manipulating the facts it is you. That is not the true population of that genre of films. What I listed was closer and I got it from Amazon.com. You having not heard of a few of them is only testimony of your ignorance and narrowmindedness and I only wish that you would stop going further (you will only make it worse for yourself). For every Blade, there was a "Meteor Man" before it. Since you want to list films adapted directly from comic books instead of just plain superhero films you failed to list films like these:

Batman and Robin
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV
Barbwire
Swamp Thing
Return of Swamp Thing
Tales from the Crypt
Sheena:Queen of the Jungle
Conan The Barbarian
Conan The Destroyer
Doc Savage

Plus the others that I mentioned before. If you do the math on that you would see that the percentage of successes are far less than the amount of failures/disappointments. Sure you can cherry pick out only the ones that did well but that doesn't illustrate what a studio had to go through to get a success.

How bad is your reading comprehension? Of course Hulk is one of Marvel's main characters, I said as much in my previous post when I stated that his fame was only below Spider-Man and DC's Trinity.

But The Incredible Hulk, the MOVIE, was clearly Marvel's secondary film this summer.

My point is that they did not intend it to be a secondary film since then released it during the summer blockbuster season. It is obvious to me that Marvel Entertainment felt that this would be competitive enough to go up against films like Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda, but I guess it was no more popular than the first one. Your saying that it was a secondary film is only downplaying the fact that it rebooting the franchise didn't really help it any.

Of course JLA, with Batman and Superman will draw more money than a solo Flash film. However, that JLA film could be one and done if it's mediocre.

Take Flash, or Green Lantern, and raise him to A-List status the Iron Man way. Give them their own huge franchise, build UP to a JLA film, and you'll see even more money.

If you want to do it the right way you will need to build a large base of fans behind these characters the way Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, and the X-Men were done. This happened 40 years ago when Marvel introduced these characters to younger audiences with television cartoons and/or live action television series, and continued it in some form in almost each decade afterwards (a similar thing happend with both Superman and Batman). The last 25 years was influential enough to inspire the popularity of these films on the big screen since the generation of that period is now of the target market age for moviegoers. Yes, what I am saying is that Flash and Green Lantern will not be very popular unless they are exposed to a younger audience many years before they get to the big screen. The just don't have the recognition to make a block buster film and would have a better chance in a supporting role in an ensemble film like the Justice League (which already has the recognition).

Flat-out BS. Spider-Man and the Hulk have been A-listers for decades, with multiple cartoon series and live action movies and shows. X-Men was the hottest comic in the 80s and became a favorite for an entire generation of kids with the 1990s cartoon.

Iron Man...had a short-lived, mostly crappy cartoon that ran in syndication on Sundays during the 1990s. And some forgotten, barely animated cartoon from the 1960s.

So it seems that you understand that they have been exposed to the public for decades. Note that I had said that Iron Man was as well known as Spider-Man and not "as Popular". Another factor that people liked about the character was the fact that he was a millionaire and that he had access to fancy tech toys. This attracted the techno-geek crowd to the film, but this shouldn't take away from the fact that Iron Man was a well known character.

Oh sure, they'll still be usable...but not nearly as bankable for at least several years. Batman and Robin ensured that no Batman movie would be made for the next 8 years, and even watered down Batman Begins's box office. Superman Returns disappointed, and now further sequels are barely even discussed.

8 years is not a long hiatus considering the fact that it took Superman 15 years between films, and 11 for the Fantastic Four. It looks like it will be 21 years for Captain America. Also you also have to consider the right vision, story, timing and the right director a film. I don't think they will not take Justice League seriously at all and if it won't be good they won't release it.

It would've make its money like Fantastic Four, while underwhelming audiences and pissing off fanboys (freaking Armie Hammer and Jay Baruchel?). Then the sequel if it gets made will disappoint even more, because even stupid audiences won't be fooled twice.

Look we don't know what this film will look like before it gets made and we are judging prematurely. From the looks of it Hammer looks like a good actor judging from the trailer of his latest film and I don't know if it was ever confirmed that Baruchel would be in JLM. I think you are over reacting and its too early for that.

Do you even know what "proof" is? A movie which was twisted around into talky crap by a name director who didn't understand the comic, and a movie that was clearly under-advertised, are NOT proof that the Hulk can't make more.

And they both produced a similar box office result. Yes, I know what proof is. You are not going to get any more than about $250 million at the box office with a Hulk film.

Nice comeback.:whatever: I still have no reason to respect any hack director just because you say so.

Thanks for the complement. Your attitude still won't change a thing.

dnno1 said:
Conan The Barbarian
Conan The Destroyer
Doc Savage

These aren't comic based movies. Conan is from novels and Savage is from the pulps.

Granted, Spider-Man is Marvel's Flagship character, but Iron Man is well known and has been even before this film. I mentioned this in a previous post to ClarkLuther.

How well known to do think he was? IM didn't have the same exposure as Hulk or the X-men had, either.

WW is well known, too. Most people don't know a single thing about her just what she looks like and most think all there is to her franchise is what Linda Carter 's tv show showed them which WB has not done much to rectify.

I notice you didn't disagree that the public don't have a clue about who his no.1 villain is. How can the public know a super-hero very well when they don't even know that?

There are not very many characters who many people do know about their mythos.

That's kind of why writers and directors get away with origin stories or adaptations from existing comic book or novel storylines.

Ageed.

Although this is the case, people do recognize or know of the character by name.

Most people recognized Iron Man from an old Ozzie song not the comic book character before the movie.

Knowing a character's name doesn't guarantee success. It's merely a stepping stone to build from. IM managed to do that since the film was good but many haven't.

This is not unlike someone knowing about Coca Cola, but not knowing how it originated. I think it is called brand recognition. Iron Man is a brand that has been well known before the film was released.

Bad analogy. All you need to know about coke is that it's a drink. There is nothing more to it. With franchises like Iron Man they need to know his abilities, origin, enemies, supporting cast etc to care about it.

If it wasn't it would not have made more than $100 million in its first weekend.

I disagree. Blade and Hellboy were less recognizable to the public then IM was and they still did well.

To be honest with you, although DC has gone through numerous characters over the decades, they only promote 57 or so, and of that number maybe 7 are their most popular. This is far less than Marvel who publicly boast 5000.

Could you be more precise which what you're getting at here? What do you mean by "promoting"? Films? cartoons? Merchandise?

Watch JLU. It shows a lot of characters in the DCU, which are more then 57, and there are far more in the super-hero comic books they didn't show. I'm not even touching the non-super-hero imprints DC has. They have hundreds of those, too.

If anybody is manipulating the facts it is you. That is not the true population of that genre of films.

Oh yeah, because your list which includes the likes of The Specials, Love and Plutonium, The Sidekick (never heard of any of them), CINO (most ridiculous piece of crap to ever try to piggyback off a comic), the lameass Steel in Name Only movie starring Shaq, Ultraviolet (another crappy "girl power" movie that isn't even based on a real comic), the low-budget direct-to-video Captain America, etc. was SO MUCH MORE ACCURATE a list, full of movies that are more similar to blockbuster solo films about the individual League members.:whatever:

What I listed was closer and I got it from Amazon.com.

You have some kind of obsession with Amazon.com, which you always bring up as perfect proof of anything you say. Amazon.com is a shopping site, with usually a TINY number of user reviews from people who already liked the product in question. I still remember you using some stupidly small sample of 25 user reviews to represent the public's opinion on a movie (I think it was your beloved Ultraviolet :whatever: ) that was actually considered to suck, based on far bigger and better sources like IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and the actual box office take.

You having not heard of a few of them is only testimony of your ignorance and narrowmindedness

Ask the average man on the street what he thought about Love and Plutonium. 99% of them would ask you what the hell you're talking about. Oh yeah, I'm so ignorant and narrowminded for never having heard of an obscure, low budget direct-to-video movie.

and I only wish that you would stop going further (you will only make it worse for yourself).

ROFL. Take your own advice man.

Since you want to list films adapted directly from comic books instead of just plain superhero films you failed to list films like these:

AGAIN your reading comprehension fails. "Adapted directly from comic books" is not my criteria. It's comic blockbusters released since this decades superhero boom.

Barbwire
Swamp Thing
Return of Swamp Thing
Tales from the Crypt
Sheena:Queen of the Jungle
Conan The Barbarian
Conan The Destroyer
Doc Savage

More stunning examples that are similar to Wonder Woman or Green Lantern, which can figure into an estimate of their box office potential, brought to you from Bizarro World.:whatever:

My point is that they did not intend it to be a secondary film since then released it during the summer blockbuster season.

How hard are things for you to understand? Yes, The Incredible Hulk would generally be considered a big budget film, and it was placed in the summer. But RELATIVE to Iron Man, or non-Marvel movies like Indiana Jones or The Dark Knight, it was clearly a second-tier summer movie.

It is obvious to me that Marvel Entertainment felt that this would be competitive enough to go up against films like Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda,

Which is why it avoided Indiana Jones by THREE weeks and debuted after Kung Fu Panda, not before or at the same time, right?:whatever:

If you want to do it the right way you will need to build a large base of fans behind these characters the way Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, and the X-Men were done.

Stop lying about Iron Man being this huge mainstream icon on the level of Spidey or Hulk. The average person may have heard the name but they knew nothing about him. He was never even on a long-running, well-known cartoon like Superfriends, which featured the Leaguers who we're comparing him to.

So it seems that you understand that they have been exposed to the public for decades. Note that I had said that Iron Man was as well known as Spider-Man and not "as Popular".

Right there you're wrong. Iron Man WASN'T as well known as Spider-Man, stop trying to avoid the fact that you're wrong with stupid word games.

8 years is not a long hiatus considering the fact that it took Superman 15 years between films, and 11 for the Fantastic Four.

The Superman franchise died after Superman IV, which was considered crap. The Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie was NEVER RELEASED, and rumored to have been made on the cheap solely to secure the copyright. Neither of these are comparable to the Batman movie series, which was an established and living franchise until Batman and Robin flopped.

Again, you come to me with horrible analogies that show you don't really understand things.

Look we don't know what this film will look like before it gets made and we are judging prematurely.

We knew the actors involved, and the cast was laughably off. We got leaks about the script. We know of the WB being extremely silent to the point that they don't even bother refuting negative rumors, something they would be inclined to do if those rumors were false and they were really confident in their movie.

Thanks for the complement. Your attitude still won't change a thing.

LOL. You can't just let go of the fact that I don't have to respect any director just because, and that you still haven't given me a reason to.

Well after seeing the Watchmen trailer before seeing TDK.....I am now convinced that if WB's goes with a JL movie in say 2012 with Bale and Routh, then Zack Snyder should be the director!

Without a doubt! :hehe:

Thanks for your comment. I've edited the section of the post regarding what I think respecting the source is, I advise you to read that. :D

are you kevin smith the actor / writer ? if so it's an honor to meet you.

Oh yeah, because your list which includes the likes of The Specials, Love and Plutonium, The Sidekick (never heard of any of them), CINO (most ridiculous piece of crap to ever try to piggyback off a comic), the lameass Steel in Name Only movie starring Shaq, Ultraviolet (another crappy "girl power" movie that isn't even based on a real comic), the low-budget direct-to-video Captain America, etc. was SO MUCH MORE ACCURATE a list, full of movies that are more similar to blockbuster solo films about the individual League members.:whatever:

Look you don't segregate statistical data just so that it only shows what you want to see. That's what is called manipulating the facts. Only discussing the most successful films of the bunch is not really descriptive of what really went on in the industry to get where they are now. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

You have some kind of obsession with Amazon.com, which you always bring up as perfect proof of anything you say. Amazon.com is a shopping site, with usually a TINY number of user reviews from people who already liked the product in question. I still remember you using some stupidly small sample of 25 user reviews to represent the public's opinion on a movie (I think it was your beloved Ultraviolet :whatever: ) that was actually considered to suck, based on far bigger and better sources like IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and the actual box office take.

Amazon.com owns IMDb, and I don't trust anything that comes from the makers of Fox News.

Ask the average man on the street what he thought about Love and Plutonium. 99% of them would ask you what the hell you're talking about. Oh yeah, I'm so ignorant and narrowminded for never having heard of an obscure, low budget direct-to-video movie.

That doesn't matter, that film is still part of the genre and it figures into the %60 figure from the MPAA that started this conversation off in the first place.

ROFL. Take your own advice man.

I don't think I need to and you should see the number of folks on my side of the screen that are rolling on the floor over your erroneous comments.

AGAIN your reading comprehension fails. "Adapted directly from comic books" is not my criteria. It's comic blockbusters released since this decades superhero boom.

The original discussion we were having was about this:

A movie has to tank REALLY hard to not make money back. Too many people look at just the US box office while ignoring the much bigger worldwide total. Then there's DVDs.

The MPAA states that %60 of films made never make their money back, so it isn't that hard a thing to do. If you are going to figure out that statistic yourself you need to include the entire population of that genre or all of the films made, not stratifying it or fixing the facts to suit your argument. That being said it would definitely be difficult to make 7 different films and make them profitable compared to one with an ensemble cast. That was what we were talking about but you went off on a tangent talking about bankable films adapted directly from the comics which had nothing to do with what we were originally discussing. If anybody fails at comprehending it is you.

More stunning examples that are similar to Wonder Woman or Green Lantern, which can figure into an estimate of their box office potential, brought to you from Bizarro World.:whatever:

I don't know for a fact how those films will perform at the box office since there is no history of past performance (I don't see how you would either). The only way you can get an idea is to base it on similar film in that genre. I just showed you that at best you can expect a 40% chance of success, but there is certainly no guarantee that these will be bankable franchises (especially Wonder Woman). In my opinion, the only chance that Green Lantern has of making it is if it has something that would draw science fiction/fantasy fans along with those who liked the comics. Make it along the lines of a Star Wars and it might have a chance at being a 3 film franchise. Wonder Woman's best shot is in an ensemble film like Justice League. Outside of that it could go the way of all the other female superheroine films.

How hard are things for you to understand? Yes, The Incredible Hulk would generally be considered a big budget film, and it was placed in the summer. But RELATIVE to Iron Man, or non-Marvel movies like Indiana Jones or The Dark Knight, it was clearly a second-tier summer movie.

It was a summer block buster film, plain and simple. If it weren't it would have been released in the spring or fall. Let's not try to make up excuses to justify why it didn't meet expectations.

Which is why it avoided Indiana Jones by THREE weeks and debuted after Kung Fu Panda, not before or at the same time, right?:whatever:

These films were still in theaters when the Hulk was released. Moviegoers had the choice to go see them or TIH. That is what competition is all about.

Stop lying about Iron Man being this huge mainstream icon on the level of Spidey or Hulk. The average person may have heard the name but they knew nothing about him. He was never even on a long-running, well-known cartoon like Superfriends, which featured the Leaguers who we're comparing him to.

Iron man was a well known character for decades. That is why he got a cartoon of his own and not Daredevil or Iron Fist. That is not a lie. It is a fact. Just because he wasn't as popular as the Superfriends or Spider-Man doesn't mean he wasn't well known. I don't think you saw that many people asking who he was (even my kids know him) like the were The Punisher.

Right there you're wrong. Iron Man WASN'T as well known as Spider-Man, stop trying to avoid the fact that you're wrong with stupid word games.

I didn't say that I just said that he was well known.

The Superman franchise died after Superman IV, which was considered crap. The Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie was NEVER RELEASED, and rumored to have been made on the cheap solely to secure the copyright. Neither of these are comparable to the Batman movie series, which was an established and living franchise until Batman and Robin flopped.

Not true. It was still alive. It just took 15 years to develop the next film.

We knew the actors involved, and the cast was laughably off. We got leaks about the script. We know of the WB being extremely silent to the point that they don't even bother refuting negative rumors, something they would be inclined to do if those rumors were false and they were really confident in their movie.

We really don't know the exact contents of the scrip, only what they want you to know. Furthermore we do not know how these actors will work out together until we see a film clip or something like that. It really seems like the cast of "Watchmen" are working out with fans even though they are not prominent actors. Carla Gugino is the only actress that I could recognize right away.

LOL. You can't just let go of the fact that I don't have to respect any director just because, and that you still haven't given me a reason to.

That's because it won't make a difference.

How well known to do think he was? IM didn't have the same exposure as Hulk or the X-men had, either.

Last I checked he had 8 titles selling at the same time. If he wasn't that well known that wouldn't be happeing. The character is recognizable by many just from his appearance. I don't know what you are talking about.

WW is well known, too. Most people don't know a single thing about her just what she looks like and most think all there is to her franchise is what Linda Carter 's tv show showed them which WB has not done much to rectify.

That should be telling you something shouldn't it?

I notice you didn't disagree that the public don't have a clue about who his no.1 villain is. How can the public know a super-hero very well when they don't even know that?

Because that is not a necessary condition for being well known and recognizable. Your number 1 villian is a volitile thing and could change just as the wind changes direction. Spiderman's number 1 villian was the green gargoyle at one time, although many will tell you that it is now (although agueably) that it is Venom. I think it is more important here that the audience recognize the main character first since the villian could be a variable in future films.

Most people recognized Iron Man from an old Ozzie song not the comic book character before the movie.

Knowing a character's name doesn't guarantee success. It's merely a stepping stone to build from. IM managed to do that since the film was good but many haven't.

A statement not worth arguing, but the fact does remaing that people did make the association with the two (the song and the character). As far as name recognition, it is more than that. People also can associate the name with his appearance as well and that is very important.

Bad analogy. All you need to know about coke is that it's a drink. There is nothing more to it. With franchises like Iron Man they need to know his abilities, origin, enemies, supporting cast etc to care about it.

Once again what is needed is recognition of the name (or the brand) and the image or appearance (of the product). That is the most important since the interest in the story behind it will come if someone is willing to tell it.

I disagree. Blade and Hellboy were less recognizable to the public then IM was and they still did well.

Yes but they had to support those films with regognizable actors (Snipes and Perlman) and Hellboy was an ensemble film at that (so did Blade in it's third eddition of the franchise). I am not going to say that there are other ways to make a film successful, but being an icon is more than half the battle.

Could you be more precise which what you're getting at here? What do you mean by "promoting"? Films? cartoons? Merchandise?

Watch JLU. It shows a lot of characters in the DCU, which are more then 57, and there are far more in the super-hero comic books they didn't show. I'm not even touching the non-super-hero imprints DC has. They have hundreds of those, too.

newdc-logo.jpg

What I am talking about is what they promote publicly as brands for the company. We already know that the flagship characters are Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, but outside of that it is the big 7 of the Justice League. Even though JLU tried to feature other DC heroes, the show had better ratings with the big 7, and they wound up having more episodes with them in it in some way rather than not. As for the 57 brands, that comes from what was published a few years ago in Time-Warner's annual report for DC.

Look you don't segregate statistical data just so that it only shows what you want to see. That's what is called manipulating the facts. Only discussing the most successful films of the bunch is not really descriptive of what really went on in the industry to get where they are now. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

You also don't put in movies that came out in different decades, were made with no budget, went direct-to-video, or starred a cast of nobodies when discussing the prospects of big budget solo movies for League members like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or Flash. That's what is called "a stupid comparison.":whatever:

Amazon.com owns IMDb,

WHOA GOOD POINT!!!

You continue to shock me with the downright wacky crap you say. Amazon is a shopping website, people go there to SHOP. Very few people go there to actually post reviews; the handful who do are pretty much already fanboys of the product in question. You only get one side of the story from an insignificant amount of people...therefore it is ******ed to use a few Amazon.com user reviews to argue that a critical and box office flop like freaking Ultraviolet was considered a good move, which you have done.

IMDB typically has thousands, if not tens or a hundred thousand user reviews for movies that see a wide release. There are good as well as bad reviews. Therefore, IMDB can give a better idea of what people actually think.

I don't trust anything that comes from the makers of Fox News.

More wacky bizarro logic from you. Are you saying that Rotten Tomatoes is owned by Fox, therefore you don't trust it? When the HELL did politics figure into this? I don't like Fox News either...but that has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about. Rotten Tomatoes basically tallies up reviews from hundreds of prominent internet and newspaper critics, LINKING to each of their reviews. What you see on RT is what was actually reviewed.

That doesn't matter, that film is still part of the genre

I'm just going to say it. Only an absolute moron would think that Love and Plutonium fits into the same category as Batman Begins, Spider-Man or proposed big budget movies with Green Lantern or Flash. Only someone who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about would think that Love and Freaking Plutonium can figure into an analysis of how successful a big budget Wonder Woman would be.

Only a dishonest punk would call someone "ignorant" or "narrow minded" for not having heard of a low-budget, never-was movie like Love and Plutonium.:whatever:

I don't think I need to and you should see the number of folks on my side of the screen that are rolling on the floor over your erroneous comments.

Wow, you really are deluded. Please, for YOUR sake, just stop embarrassing yourself. You're the guy who has in the past claimed that

-The classic Wonder Woman costume that shows up in CARTOONS is an R-rating risk (and I'm sure it is, when Joker can mutilate people and get a PG-13:whatever:)

-A grand total of 25 or some other ridiculously insignificant number of horny fanboy user reviews of Ultraviolet on Amazon.com shows that the movie is well regarded.

-Moviegoer polls about their GENERAL satisfaction level over a period of several years somehow represents their opinion on one specific movie.

-CINO was a good movie.

-People are "ignorant" for not having heard of such blockbuster movies as Love and Plutonium or The Sidekick.

You said all of these things, not me. I can dig up the links too, for anyone who wants to see.

Outside of the total crazies (religious whackjobs, white supremacists), you may be the dimmest and most out-of-touch person I've ever talked to on the internet. Not because you disagree with me, but because you say things that are just so damn wacky, which couldn't have come from any logical thought process.

The MPAA states that %60 of films made never make their money back, so it isn't that hard a thing to do. If you are going to figure out that statistic yourself you need to include the entire population of that genre or all of the films made,

NO, you compare the chances of a WW, GL, or Flash film to other movies with similar traits, such as

-based on a known comic
-coming out in the same time period (the recent superhero boom)
-big budget
-summer debut

Movies with those traits have almost ALL been successful. Only in your BS analysis which throws things off with direct-to-video garbage do things look worse.

It was a summer block buster film, plain and simple. If it weren't it would have been released in the spring or fall. Let's not try to make up excuses to justify why it didn't meet expectations.

Oh look, the broken record, wall-of-ignorance debating "tactic." If you have a problem with one of my points, then deal with it. Repeating your initial assertion again and again doesn't mean you win.

AGAIN, who here thinks that The Incredible Hulk 2008 with Edward Norton received anywhere near the marketing and publicity as Iron Man, Indiana Jones, or The Dark Knight?

These films were still in theaters when the Hulk was released. Moviegoers had the choice to go see them or TIH. That is what competition is all about.

WOW man. Movies of any kind make the bulk of their money when they first come out. 3 weeks later and even a smash hit film isn't really anything to worry about. Even 1 week later and a movie has already lost a lot of steam.

A movie that comes out nearly a freaking MONTH after Indiana Jones isn't competing with Indiana Jones. Only in Bizarro dnno1 world is it competing.

Iron man was a well known character for decades. That is why he got a cartoon of his own

Yeah that crappy, short-lived cartoon that was syndicated on Sunday instead of being on network TV on Saturday was really something.:whatever:

Just because he wasn't as popular as the Superfriends or Spider-Man doesn't mean he wasn't well known.

Oh, he was known. There were still PLENTY of people who didn't know him, or only knew his name. He was nowhere near the recognition level of Spidey or Hulk. His popularity before the 2008 movie was lower than WW, GL, or Flash, who all got more exposure than him.

Therefore, the 2008 Iron Man movie is evidence that WW, GL, or Flash do not suffer too much from a lack of popularity to be the subject of a hit movie.

Not true. It was still alive. It just took 15 years to develop the next film.

Oh yeah, the Superman franchise starring Christopher Reeve was still alive when there were rumors of Nicholas Cage, a gooey black costume-in-a-can, CIA agent Luthor and gay robots fighting polar bears. Anybody with half a brain knew the franchise was dead, and you're playing word games if you try to argue that it wasn't.

We really don't know the exact contents of the scrip, only what they want you to know. Furthermore we do not know how these actors will work out together until we see a film clip or something like that. It really seems like the cast of "Watchmen" are working out with fans even though they are not prominent actors. Carla Gugino is the only actress that I could recognize right away.

1. Watchmen isn't pandering to the tween crowd.
2. Watchmen doesn't have a cast of people who would look RIDICULOUS as their supposed characters (shady 5'9 punk Superman, Jay Baruchel as the big bad, some college-age kid as Batman).
3. Watchmen released materials to assure the fans, instead of being all hush-hush as if the WB was ashamed and had something to hide.

That's because it won't make a difference.

Except that history shows that it does (Jack Black GL killed, Raimi pressed into including Venom despite not wanting to), and it's obvious that businessmen are where they are by pleasing their customers. Keep crying about the fact that I'm not giving my respect to any old director by default.:whatever:

AWESOME POST, Kevin Smith... my comments.

Thank you, my brother.

2010 IS THE ONLY CHANCE
- OR 2012... or or 2013. In my ideal world, JLA is shot three-movies at once like LOTR. I can wait a few years if they're going to do it 'right.'

Right on. I'd rather them take their time and get it right then have it be a rushed disaster, so if that means we don't see that for another ten years (yikes!) then so be it. However, I think if they want to, they still could get the film made by 2010 without it being "rushed". I just hope they take advantage of the opportunity and get SOME DC Comics film out for that year (long as it isn't a disaster, of course ;) ).

RESPECT THE SOURCE
- Aaaaamen.

NO SECOND STRINGERS
- Cameo second stringers though. And certain characters, namely Batman, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman don't have to take part directly in combat, imho for the film to be awesome.

Cameo when they can. I don't think they should alter the script or the movie to the point where it becomes a fanboy easter egg hunt more than an epic masterpiece. They should work cameos in the film when they can. And I agree, I dn't think Aquaman needs to be featured as prominently as some of the other Leaguers, I'd want to see MM doing a thing or 2, but Batman has to be there somewhere. I know he gets a lot of facetime in his own films, and while I don't think he should have the biggest part per sa, I'd want to see him doing things that he hasn't done in any other film so far. I'd want him to be the comic book Batman, how awesome would it be to have a scene where Bats is fighting _____ (insert villain lackeys here) and he wips his cape over his face, then hurls a flurry of six batarangs, each crashing into an object then exploding - that's something I'd like to see with the JLA Batman. More like the comic book Batman; really smart, lots of tech, very agile - we haven't really seen much of that with the Batman in the other films, IMO.

NO LESS THAN 2 HOURS & 15 MINUTES LONG
- Of course, character development is one thing missing from superhero movies of the past.

HOLY TRINITY
- Yes and No. Part of the problem with the Holy Trin is overexposure... it would not be good if the movie is "about" them and the rest of the league is supporting cast. Its gotta be truly ensemble... that said, it is impossible not to slide the spot light to Supe and Bats... hopefully a talented filmmaker can make Wondy not seem like affirmative action of the Trinity.

I'm with ya 100%.

HAL JORDAN
- As a huge John Stewart fan, even I love the idea of Hal having a scene

I figured that if they were gonna go with Stewart in JLA and do a GL film with Hal, it would be wise to have Hal cameo in JLA.

THE FLASH
- Agreed, though I'd pitch Barry a bit older to set up for Wally in the near future, and I'd also have him die in the climax of the film

I'm gonna have ta part ways with ya here, bud. This will be The Flash's first big screen exposure, and while audiences will likely accept the fact that there is more than one GL (hence the GL Corps), it remains doubtful to me that they will appreciate 2 speedsters running around in the same film for the first time, especially with the six other JLA members. They'd have to do the whole Wally/Kid Flash thing, and the orgin and Kid Flash character would, IMO, just seem really hokey to audiences, they need more time and individual attention to do a story like that then the first JLA film would allow, IMO. I'd prefer and suggest that they save the individual character sub plots like that for exploration in the individual character's films. Set up Barry as Flash in JLA, do an origin story for him in the first Flash film, set up Wally as Kid Flash in Flash 2, and in Flash 3 if ya still feel like it, off Barry and have Kid Flash (Wally) become Flash. :)

NO MORE SUPERMAN THE WUSS
- Yes and no. Superman does hold back, he does have a very powerful moral compass that some people would consider "outdated" and he needs it to keep himself from utterly decimating the planet. I think that should be honored, but it should be shown WHY he has it. The cartoon took a long time to get to that and the movies really didn't let it out much. Let Superman cut loose at the end, a real Dragonball Z-type battle. People will get it 'oh, that's why he's such a punk!'

LOL. Right, but I'm saying Superman, as a character, needs to be tougher than he's been in previous films, namely the Christopher Reeve films and SR. I'm not saying they should let him walk around "cutting loose" all the time (I agree, save the big 'uns for the end), I'm just saying they give him a "no ********" attitude towards things, slightly remniscent of the George Reeves Superman or even the Superman: TAS Superman; have him toss bad guys around like rag dolls, establish that he's a powerhouse and he's hardly trying. Make him "cool". Almost like what he was in his early years (minus the killing).

BATMAN: THE THINKING MAN
- Yes, and yes, and then yes again. I don't know about the technology side, as the Begins series has him with a more realistically limited skillset, but having him be the thinking guy, just being extremely cunning would validate his place on the team for the doubters, and send geekgasms through the toes of Bat-fans.

Right. The tech side needs to be there as well, IMO. If he's responsible for constructing the Watchtower and other JLA devices, they need to establish that in order for it to remain credible.

A VILLAIN WORTHY OF THEIR TALENTS
- I see your villain and raise you a threat. The storyline and threat have to be bigger than any one leaguer could conceivably take on. A foe stronger than Superman, more versatile than GL, not daunted by Flash's speed, not easily outsmarted by Batman, that can require more sophisticated team tactics than 'dogpile on Darkseid.' My fave is Despero for this purpose. There are other villains who could do it, but at the end of the day, if the entire world is not in immediate danger, at least one or two of the leaguers could conceivably take the day off with no worries.

LOL. Right on and good points.

NO ORIGIN, PLEASE
- Origin please. Brief, organic. Once seperate heroes team up from early in the movie and by the time the end credits roll they've chosen a name. I want to be there to see it. Get all the base and gadgets and etc and JLA protocol and teleporters and stuff in the second movie, when it won't detract from developing these characters.

OK, but why does the origin have to be explained? Is it really that necessary? BIG alien threat, seven heroes unite, yada yada yada, 'nuff said, and the chances are that Avengers will be doing that. While very different from JLA, I'm just sayin', X-Men didn't need an origin, I think if they just tell the story "as is", with the team, the base, protocol, etc having already been established it would be fine, they can get on with the story and character development that way without having to spend most of the film explaining everything. This way they can also use characters like John Stewart in the first film, characters who weren't a part of the original League when it first began without disrespecting the source material.

STAPLES OF THE LEAGUE
- Yes, MM. I don't think MM needs to be a combatant. Because of his ability to form the league, and his telepathic and shapeshifting abilities, limiting him from combat, any way you like for the first film, seems like a good idea. Honestly, that's less bruisers to keep up with for plotting the action and pacing and creating a suitable challenge. He can be full power in a sequel, imho. Aquaman too... he only really needs one good scene 'with' the League... and one really glorious moment where people can say, 'oh, Aquaman might be cool...'

Right again, use each member to te best of their abilities. If the story doesn't really call for it, then it doesn't have to be in there. However, I would like to see MM have at least one smackdown scene where he kicks ass. But he does't need as many as some of the other characters, we already have Superman, WW, and GL for that stuff.

CASTING WITH JUSTICE
- With Justice? LOL!

I could nor resist. Sorry. [lol] :D

But yeah, casting is a big thing. Every one of the leaguers and the main villain have to be inspired choices. In an ideal world, Tom Welling and Christian Bale would be Superman and Batman. But honestly, I'd save the big names for the lesser known characters, GL, Flash, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter, and villain... and cast reprisers or 'perfect unknowns' for the Trinity.

Same here. I don't think Flash necessarily needs a really big name either, but if they can get someone who fits the part, unknown or not, I'm fine with it. Same goes for most the other characters.

GET PEOPLE WHO GIVE A DAMN
- Please, yes.

THEY HAVE TO LOOK LIKE THE JLA
- Yes please.

I think Watchmen (sans the nipples on Ozymandias' suit) has proved that the comic book suits can work on film if done right.

IMPRESSIVE. MOST IMPRESSIVE
- The hard part... doing something impressive that feels impressive instead of hokey and corny. How big a thing can superman lift before it seems ridiculous? A jet? A planetoid? The Moon? It needs to be done, but, imho, the hardest part, especially because these individuals have such incredible abilities and have taken on such insane feats in the comics.

Just be consistent. Don't go in with an attitude that "Superman can lift ANYTHING" because he can't, and be consistent with his (and the other leaguers) abilities; if Superman can lift a plane in one scene, he shouldn't be grunting when he picks up a car - you get the picture.

TEAM SCORE
- Clearly. In my perfect world, the individual scores of the film involve rifts on previous themes. The Wonder Woman theme song chords and resonance in Diana's Theme when she first appears. The Batman TAS orchestral chant (Bum, bum, bum-bum!) as part of his theme. The Classic Williams Score playing for Superman's triumphant... triumph.

That would be great.

NOT ANOTHER CARTOON
- So right.

AN AMERICAN NAME
- Awesome compromise.

DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS
- You right.

Thank you, my brother. :D

My Own thoughts, even though you covered everyting:

WONDER WOMAN
This is the one hero I would love to have a solo movie before a JL movie, since she's been out of the public eye for so very long. She has to be incredible, not the den mother stereotype, not the "badass" pointless plotless chick Hollywood has been taunting us with for the past few years (not that she shouldn't have that one badass moment), but fully realized warrior woman. Model her on Ripley if you have to... then cast Sigourney Weaver if you lack that much imagination to create a well developed growing female character, but make Wonder Woman worthy to stand between Batman and Superman. Make her a leader. Batman is the brains. Superman is the heart. Wonder Woman is the soul... she's the one who verbalizes it, speaks for them, she's the one who finds the compromise... she's the one who the team looks to in their worst conflicts.

Right on, but on top of all that, her views also sometimes conflict with Superman and Batmans's, she is willing to kill, she's a peace loving warrior (if there is such a thing lol).

REALISM DOESN'T MEAN GRITTY (OR REALISTIC)
A lot of times, people get hung up on realism and forget that anything that flows organically has a feeling of realism. If Superman's abilities and origin remain consistent throughout the film, it doesn't matter if he catches a plane... Superman now has realism.

:applaud Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

LEAVE CLICHES AT THE DOOR
I know it's classic DC, I know how we love the silver age, but give me a twist... other than one of my favorite characters is secretly EVIL (I'm looking at you Max Lord)... make fun of some superhero cliches a bit even while going balls to the wall in classic superhero action. Be a smart movie, please. And don't just put stuff int he movie as an excuse to get something else in... everything has to be cohesive.

I agree. It is important that it's a smart film. Thanks for the great post. :)

Kevin:

The X-men didn't need an origin because they are all identical. They were born a mutant. That's it. No furthur explanation necessary.

Each Leaguer has incredibly different origins, with few exceptions. With 99% of them the public has no idea what it is. They can't get into the specifics of their origins with JLA or they risk it taking over the plot.

The X-men were always a team from the start. The JLA are several unique heroes banding together with their own solo franchises.

They should show Superman's weaknesses more, too. His own rogues gallery and DCU have plenty of super-villains with physical fights, powers and technology/magic etc that can hurt him in various ways without resorting to Krytonite or using Lois as a hostage. The films have barely dealt with that.

Tellin ya...Zack Snyder should be the man to direct a JL film.

Most of us will know this for sure after Watchmen. :woot:

I think they could do the origins like in Alex Ross's "Secret Origins" book. Just a short introduction to the characters. Than move on to the good stuff.

Yes, Dark Knight, Snyder for JLA. We got it. :whatever:

(I agree with you completely) :cwink: :woot:

Kevin:

I love your idea to have Despero as the villain. In the comics he's taken out 2 full JL teams and he took down Superman and Martian Manhunter (the 2 most powerful) without breaking a sweat. He's incredibly powerful and dangerous. I also like how he's not a specific villain for a specific hero like Batman/Joker, Superman/Lex, Green Lantern/Sinestro, etc.. He's a Justice League villain.

I think they could do the origins like in Alex Ross's "Secret Origins" book. Just a short introduction to the characters. Than move on to the good stuff.

Yes, Dark Knight, Snyder for JLA. We got it. :whatever:

(I agree with you completely) :cwink: :woot:

That is a good idea.

They would have to do a lot of editing to get the key scenes for each characters. Even if there are five of them it'd take a decent amount of time to get that in the credit sequence. I'm sure it can be done, though.

Yea doing origins as drawings/or what they did in TIH would be a cool way to show gl/ww/flash/aquaman origins out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"