Justice League script review

Paradoxium

Making Your Head Explode
Reaction score
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071018_clints_got_the_rundown_on_just.html

Thought it merits a thread.

Clint here,

Just returned from doing a TV interview – hope you yankies understand my brash, strong Aussie accent – to find a fat envelope on the dusty doormat. Inside? Several pages from the “Justice League” script – clearly marked [removed]. Yep, this here tree was cut down so [removed] effects guys would know what they’re working with.

So what are they working with? Well, not a lot. Not to say the film reads terrible, it doesn’t, it’s just that it reads more like a Saturday Morning ‘Superfriends’ cartoon than anything else – like, say, something that’ll appeal to the over twenties crowd - and basically, WETA need only look at the old cartoons to seek inspiration for their whizbang dressings. Having said that, maybe that’s exactly what they’re going for – a family-friendly toon-esque romp; like say “The Rocketeer” or “Sky High”.

The film introduces the main characters very quickly – as if they’re a 42-minute TV show and have to get it done quickly. You don’t get to know much about any of our central heroes before they all unite.

The film opens with John Stewart/The Green Lantern leaving space for the beachy surroundings of what’s described in the brief as being a “San Diego” like town – its there that he’ll have to rescue a Submarine crew (I don’t think I’ll give away the finer aspects of the sequences – just to say they could look impressive) from something with “a lot of arms”. We’re next introduced to Aquaman, who spots the leviathan battering a lighthouse. A large-scale skirmish occurs between the sea hero and the sea villain. Then, Wonder Woman is introduced – but not before Superman, in a mid-air fight, crashes her scene. Next, The Flash gets his big intro scene…. Rescuing plainclothes detective Ben Chyre from a ‘ticking’ bear – something ‘the Trickster’ has cooked up. The Flash has a bit of fun with a news crew – says something so fast that they’re unable to use it on air – which might evoke a laugh or two.

We’re introduced to our villain, Max Lord, as he watches a monitor where[what appears to be] Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc are ‘’terrorizing a building full of homeless people. Destroying the arches and pulling the supports down…” We then learn that Lord has captured a team of superheroes already – “ULTRAMAN, SUPERWOMAN, OWLMAN, JOHNNY QUICK and POWER RING...” – who he plans to use for his own devious mission : pit them against the “Justice League”.

We see the “Hall of Justice” being built – on the outskirts of space – by the team themselves; as well as many “construction robots”. Seems Wayne Industries is footing the bill for it.

Within a couple of minutes, alarm bells ring and the team er, suit up for action. The alarm bells have signalled for a visitor from Mars…. Martian Manhunter, who naturally the team presume is evil at first. The visitor informs the gang that their world is “at an end” and so begins their plight to destroy Lord and the OMACs.

Look, the film seems pretty underwhelming, sure, but what I think might’ve been their motivation here is to distance themselves from any of the “Superman” or “Batman” films already in existence – which is something the fans will be thankful for – and as this is merely light and fluffy cartoon adventure-stuff, without any of the dark undertones of those other films (largely “Batman”), they’ve definitely succeeded in that. This will definitely appeal to a much younger crowd than those that say, loved “Batman Begins” – it’ll be one the twelve-years-olds go ga-ga for. In fact, Batman doesn’t even seem to have much of a part to play here – not the pages I read anyway; it’s almost as if he’s a secondary character or Warner have told the producers they can only use a “bit of him” – and definitely isn’t the same Caped Crusader we’ve seen on the screens for the past couple of years. In fact, if this is anyone’s movie it’s The Flash’s… he gets most of the gags, a lot of the action, and seems to have quite a few more scenes- again, in the pages I read – than the others. If the character is cast right – I believe Adam Brody (“the OC”) is the favourite at this stage – he could be the break-out character here…. the one the twelve-year olds want on a T-Shirt.

So all-in-all, “Justice League” won’t be our film – and when I say ‘our’ I mean, commonly anyone considered of adult age – but it will probably be right up the kids’ alley. It’s essentially a live-action version of “Superfriends” – in terms of pace, story and set-up.

Anymore script reviews that comes, I will link it up on this post.

mushroom_cloud.jpg

If the above is true, can't say I am at all surprised. What a flaming piece of turd.

live action of superfriends??? my god...

That can't be true. I understand not making them uber serious, but look what happened to Fantastic Four. Not being able to take the characters serious enough killed that movie. If it's really a Flash movie then just make a Flash movie!

I don't believe this for a second. Sounds like a load of horse**** to me.

Well if it's true it sounds like they want Batman, Superman, and friends injected with a Spider-Man type of tone.
If I'm not mistaken, this the first we've heard of a possible Crime Syndicate storyline.
Could be cool. Anyway, thanks for that Paradoxium.

Robert over at IESB has a copy of the script. I am pretty sure over the next day or two, more reviews will pop up.

Well if it's true it sounds like they want Batman, Superman, and friends injected with a Spider-Man type of tone.
If I'm not mistaken, this the first we've heard of a possible Crime Syndicate storyline.
Could be cool. Anyway, thanks for that Paradoxium.

I'm getting more of a Fantastic Four tone. I believe WB thinking is that they geared SR and BB to an older crowd and those two movies didn't exactly set the box office on fire. So this is their chance to change up the tone in the hopes of getting more kids at the theater multiple times and to sell a hell of a lot of figures and happy meal toys.

yea that script pages doesnt really sound all that good. Hopefully it isnt from the final draft or is totally false. who knows, we will have to wait and see what happens.

True or not, the one thing that we can count on is silence from W.B.

I'm getting more of a Fantastic Four tone. I believe WB thinking is that they geared SR and BB to an older crowd and those two movies didn't exactly set the box office on fire. So this is their chance to change up the tone in the hopes of getting more kids at the theater multiple times and to sell a hell of a lot of figures and happy meal toys.

Fantastic Four as well. I was only insinuating that WB is looking to make Spider-Man money, thus...

I dont see the problem in Justice League being a more friendly movie. Its actually what i want. I`ve had enough of comic book movies pretending to be serious. I dont want another Superman Returns. I wanna go to the theater to be enteirtained and relax. If its anything like The Rocketeer or Incredbiles, i`ll be vey happy.

I think a tone kind of like Transformers would be ok. Not really for kids but not too serious that they can't enjoy it.

Rob at IESB has a copy of the script? What? Does WB just hand them out?

Do we know that this is legit or are you all just assuming it is because you want to hate the movie that much more? I need some sort of proof before I can believe anything at this point. Not that the review made it seem all that bad in the first place.

Webmasters have an internal network. If Rob has it, Garth at DH probably has it. You can bet CHUD is going to have a heyday. Harry/Moriarty at AICN will have it by now. Same with Stax at IGN. Its over man. Tomorrow is going to be hell day for WB.

I'll see the movie first.

Spider-man and Transformers are family friendly.

Well I kind of hope its a fake. At least there is a glimmer of hope this film won't turn out... well you get the picture :(

I don't believe this right now. But if the other sites start reporting the same thing than I probably will.

As long the characters are portrayed the way they should be, I don't see a problem with this.

I dont whats the problem in Justice League being more of a family movie. As long as it is a GOOD family movie like Incredibles, Rocketeer, etc...

i dont want Singerman all serious Superman ever again.

Incredibles=Great CGI
Rocketeer=Great movie(seriously I love it) but that movie failed.

This sounds like FF all over again.

I dont whats the problem in Justice League being more of a family movie. As long as it is a GOOD family movie like Incredibles, Rocketeer, etc...

i dont want Singerman all serious Superman ever again.

I agree. SR was just way too serious, no fun at all in that movie. I don't mind a fun, family friendly film. But there is a fine line between fun, family friendly and still being good(like almost all Pixar movies) and the movie straying too far and just being campy and dumb. I see JL leaning more towards the second category.

i with those who dont believe, it contradicts most of the stuff we've heard. and batman with a small role? yeah right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"