Keith_v's Fan Art

Looks like ****ing garbage.

;) I'm kidding, of course, it looks fantastic! Yeah, the wood looks a little off--maybe more of a smoother finish--but still some very nice bits, particularly the reflection of the notepad and the dead bulb in the corner.

Do you prefer either 3D modeling or hand-drawn stuff, or is there a preference?

Looks like ****ing garbage.

;) I'm kidding, of course, it looks fantastic! Yeah, the wood looks a little off--maybe more of a smoother finish--but still some very nice bits, particularly the reflection of the notepad and the dead bulb in the corner.

Do you prefer either 3D modeling or hand-drawn stuff, or is there a preference?

Lol thanks! I just recently found how to create soft reflections in Maya so I'm going to redo this scene and make it look much better. I'm also scrapping global illumination and doing all of my illumination through point lights. I get a much more controlled and realistic look.

I think I like them equally. I love drawing but it's usually a lot more tedious than 3d design. Although the problem with 3d are the numerous glitches and bugs in Maya that drive you insane when you are trying to work. I'm still chipping away at my illustration book, but I've taken some time to dedicate to 3d stuff as well. Me and a buddy are starting a small gaming company and our first focus will be on graphics and environment design. We're using UDK but all of our objects are made Maya and then textured in Mudbox, Painter X, and Photoshop. He's doing the tech stuff in UDK and I'm covering the art design.

Here are the first screens of a demo map I'm building in UDK. All the assets were made by me. The only stock assets are the smoke and light effects. The map features fully dynamic lighting and real-time simulated global illumination. Even with the fully dynamic lighting and high polygon count, the map runs at about 15-20 fps when played in the small view-port. At full screen it gets choppy and only runs about 10 fps (The choppy framerate ain't so bad though, considering my pc could only run a 10mb demo map at 25fps, and that had baked lighting with low poly models).

I need to post a video of the map because you lose a lot when staring at a still shot. You can't see the light cutting through the smoke or the slight flickering of the light that you'd see in motion (I also had to tweak the contrast settings of the last 2 pics to get them to match up to the contrast levels you'd see in-game).

Also, the map wasn't built using a grid (big mistake), so everything had to be fitted in using the xyz coordinates from Maya. Had it been a straight cooridoor, I could've used a snapping grid system, but then I wouldn't have gotten those snaking halls I wanted.

screenshot_1.jpg

screenshot_2.jpg

screenshot_3.jpg

screenshot_4.jpg

great as always keith, the level of detail is mind blowing, shading is out of this world, great dark underground atmosphere. :)

Thanks!

great as always keith, the level of detail is mind blowing, shading is out of this world, great dark underground atmosphere. :)

Thanks! The quality of the lighting and shadows can be attributed to not baking the light. UDK's baking systems is extremely ugly, and this is why games like Medal of Honor and Mirror's Edge used external lighting systems despite being made with the Unreal Engine. It's a shame that UDK isn't optimized to run dynamic light, but hopefully that'll change when the new consoles come out.

Here's video of the tunnel. The quality is very rough and choppy, but it's the best I could do with the video-capture software I used. I'll tinker around with it and try to get some better footage.
[YT]RdzXXVKxZVY[/YT]

Here's the latest update on the tunnel map I'm building in UDK. Sorry for the bad video quality, the Fraps trial version doesn't seem to let you upload to Youtube in HD (Although I may have missed something since I'm new to video capturing). The next update will be in HD.

[YT]0v4xDL-Cmmk[/YT]

Here's the latest update on the tunnel map I'm building in UDK. Sorry for the bad video quality, the Fraps trial version doesn't seem to let you upload to Youtube in HD (Although I may have missed something since I'm new to video capturing). The next update will be in HD.

[YT]0v4xDL-Cmmk[/YT]

That's awesome man! I keep waiting for one of your creatures to pop out.

That's awesome man! I keep waiting for one of your creatures to pop out.

That is amazing work! I love it oodles. ^_^ :hrt:

Haha Thanks! Here's a new update. I didn't update the map much, other than putting a temporary doorway in, but you can see how the lighting works on some of the objects in this video.

[YT]lpePZEwgP3o&context=C3a8a96bADOEgsToPDskIYmPv-LM0RVH_0GH43fUfZ[/YT]

That BG work is frakkin' great!

nice stuff

Thanks!

It's been forever since I posted last. Here's some recent stuff I've done. The second two pics were done for a trade-show last April. I'm hoping to be able to enter the next monthly fanart contest this time. I'm kinda mad I won't be able to get a Batman piece done on time. I'm still in Batman mode after seeing TDKR (9.3/10 as of my first viewing).

MarinePortrait.jpg

theCar.jpg

multipet2.jpg

multipet1.jpg

Thanks!

Hey Keith here's a heads up since you're pretty bada$$ at these kind of things.

http://gameofthrones.tumblr.com/

It says it's about $4,000.00 worth of stuff.

US residents only? Damnit.

Thanks! This looks like an awesome contest, and I'm hoping I'll have time to enter into it. My time has been drained lately by work. I don't think I mentioned it on here but I've been doing concept art full time for games. The days can be looong, so I don't get too much time to work on my own stuff.

Thanks!

Thanks! This looks like an awesome contest, and I'm hoping I'll have time to enter into it. My time has been drained lately by work. I don't think I mentioned it on here but I've been doing concept art full time for games. The days can be looong, so I don't get too much time to work on my own stuff.
That's awesome dude, congrats! Any upcoming games that we're going to see your work in?

That's awesome dude, congrats! Any upcoming games that we're going to see your work in?

Not yet, but hopefully soon. I work for Disney Interactive so we have plenty of awesome games lined up.

Was there ever a point in your life where you couldn't even draw a person and it look good?

I want to draw comic style stuff so bad but I can't draw people very well..

Thanks!

Was there ever a point in your life where you couldn't even draw a person and it look good?

I want to draw comic style stuff so bad but I can't draw people very well..

I wasn't able to draw people that well until I was in college. I could draw people ok in highschool, but it was a struggle sometimes. If you are determined to make it in drawing but struggle with people, I'd suggest 2 things:

1. Practice everyday and improve as much as you can with drawing people, and...

2. Define your own very unique style of drawing that doesn't rely too heavily on accurate anatomy. Look at some of Ben templesmiths art to see what he does. I'm not a fan of his, but he's making a decent living using renderings as simple as stick figures to a great degree.

Have a few new pics I haven't posted yet. Some various character designs...

14390823716_52888903bd_b.jpg

15207079159_dcf67782bb_b.jpg

12064190744_2f4a147619_c.jpg

9604628080_7677b12cc0_c.jpg

And this was a promo painting for a game I made recently, called Super Robot Bubble Pop on the IOS Store...

14839343665_7cfd6086e1_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"