• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

If I had to take a guess, the final trilogy will be remakes/reimaginings of the original franchise.

I wasn't expecting anything particularly special, but I was easily won over. The pacing is interesting, and I don't think it'll work for everyone. I'd compare it to Dune: Part 1. The same goes for the amount of action versus world-building and character work. It's really beautiful to look at, the 160 million budget is utilized to perfection. Excellent special effects, flawlessly married to everything that's real onscreen. I'll happily watch a sequel, the setup is more inviting than I ever could've imagined.

Apes ranking:

Planet of the Apes (1968)
War for the Planet of the Apes
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Beneath the Planet of the Apes

I'd give Dawn and Kingdom the same score. I think Dawn might be the better movie, but I like Kingdom just a bit more. There's something magical about that pacing, I don't know.

That’s around what the studio expects.

Rise and War basically performed the exact same way with Dawn being the outlier.

Thus, as long as it keeps in line with those two (meeting expectations), all is good (could be higher, but still fits pattern of the other two).

This was incredible; it may be recently bias but easily my favorite. This fit so beautifully with the last trilogy while still standing on its on and bringing something different. Excellent two leads in Noa and Mae too.

- Kingdom
- Dawn
- War
- Rise

I was concerned the new director wouldn’t be able to deliver a movie on par with the last two, but I’m glad to not only be wrong, but very very wrong! This movie was exceptional and a unique film experience much like Dune it felt like an artsy fartsy indie flick disguised as a big blockbuster.

The main discussion with a new Apes movie is people feeling sorry for the apes or the humans, but I feel sorry for the poor horses having to carry gorillas on their back!

Not good for a blockbuster

IMG_3889.jpeg

Just got out... Wes Ball did it again.

giphy.gif

Just finished watching the film.

So good. Really enjoyed it. For a 4th film in a franchise the quality is still there.

The fact that this movie is 99% Apes and it only had a budget of $160ish million....it looked FANTASTIC. It makes me question what all these $200million budgets are doing and still looking cheap.

Hopefully we get a part 5.

This was pretty good, even if I had some issues with the narrative. I liked most of the characters. Ending has me curious.

9 films is a bit much and ambitious in an unrealistic way, especially they aren't even close to making the fifth movie. I hope they would reduce that number because I don't really see how they could reach the 9th film, without a couple of box office disappointments along the way. Didn't they see how the third film declined at the box office? I also don't think Disney would even give them a 2nd chance if one of these flops, so... imo, they should do 2 more with the sixth film as the finale.

And oh, that CinemaScore is bad news.

“Studio insiders aren’t overly concerned about the CinemaScore, noting strong that 85 percent of moviegoers gave it an A or a B. This suggests that a vocal minority dragged down the overall score by giving it a C or lower. And exit polling by PostTrak shows both general audiences and kids and parents giving the fourquel four out of five stars.”

Adding: I finally understand what this means, if not for a vocal minority it would have been B+ since that aligns with most viewers. Thus, why still not the best result - not “overly concerned.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"