Knights of Ren Discussion Thread

If they have to rely on comics to explain Snoke at all then they're doing a piss poor job. He did really come across as just another Emperor, and just about everyone who I spoke to who has seen the film referred to him and Kylo as "Sith". So clearly the film didn't do a good enough job differentiating this new malevolent big bad from the one of the previous 6 films.

And, come to think of it, when were the Sith namedropped during ANH?

Off hand I don't think that the name was said at all during the entire OT, if I recall it was mentioned in some OT merchandise but never on screen until the PT.

The Sith were never mentioned in any of the original trilogy. It was just the Dark Side of the Force.

Apparently, Vader is described in one of Lucas' scripts for A New Hope as the "Dark Lord of the Sith."

From what I've read -- on Google -- it seems that Sith-Lord might've originated in a Marvel comic Star-Lord story in 1973. I wonder if there is some sci-fi/fantasy/heavy metal reference going back even further.

Last edited:
Vader is referred to as "the Dark Lord of the Sith" in the novelization of A New Hope, which I believe came out shortly after the movie. I think that was the first time the term was used, but I'm not sure.

The Sith were named in the ANH novelization way back in the day, and I believe that we do have physical evidence that the Sith were always going to be the opposing order to the Jedi in the older drafts, like as "Sith Knights."

Wookiepedia lists Snoke as the leader of the Knights of Ren, though that may just be recognizing who their boss is. The fact he states he can train Kylo implies he's probably done so for other characters. The source book does mention that Snoke is apparently paranoid enough to remain in a mobile command post, which is a change up from Paplatine they should embrace; he's someone who's actually scared of his enemies.

And again, I'd love them to emphasize if he's more of a manipulator than a mastermind; Palpatine was all about controlling the chess board and all the pieces, but he also had enough charisma, charm and skill to get Anakin to act as his second even when Anakin k ew he was being played, and his whole image in the Empire was supposed to be that of a kindly, benevolent dictator. Snoke, on the other hand, could be a guy who depends more upon direct manipulation and if found out could be in trouble. Everything about the First Order and the Knights of Ren looks like a more controllable and polished version of the Empire. Maybe he made it that way because he knows he can't defeat a more experienced and orthodox Imperial military dictatorship, or Kylo could kill him if he actually completes training.

Vader is referred to as "the Dark Lord of the Sith" in the novelization of A New Hope, which I believe came out shortly after the movie. I think that was the first time the term was used, but I'm not sure.
Yes, but that came from an apparent draft of Lucas' 1976 script that described him as the "Dark Lord of the Sith.'

And apparently in 1973, there's an instance of an alien in a Star-Lord/Marvel story getting called a "Sith-Lord."

The Sith were named in the ANH novelization way back in the day, and I believe that we do have physical evidence that the Sith were always going to be the opposing order to the Jedi in the older drafts, like as "Sith Knights."

Wookiepedia lists Snoke as the leader of the Knights of Ren, though that may just be recognizing who their boss is. The fact he states he can train Kylo implies he's probably done so for other characters. The source book does mention that Snoke is apparently paranoid enough to remain in a mobile command post, which is a change up from Paplatine they should embrace; he's someone who's actually scared of his enemies.

And again, I'd love them to emphasize if he's more of a manipulator than a mastermind; Palpatine was all about controlling the chess board and all the pieces, but he also had enough charisma, charm and skill to get Anakin to act as his second even when Anakin k ew he was being played, and his whole image in the Empire was supposed to be that of a kindly, benevolent dictator. Snoke, on the other hand, could be a guy who depends more upon direct manipulation and if found out could be in trouble. Everything about the First Order and the Knights of Ren looks like a more controllable and polished version of the Empire. Maybe he made it that way because he knows he can't defeat a more experienced and orthodox Imperial military dictatorship, or Kylo could kill him if he actually completes training.
In the movie Snoke calls Kylo "Master of the Knights of Ren."

jackrammyz-credited-as-the-jedi-killers-in

23mral5.jpg

Here's some concept art that might also show the Knights of Ren.

I know it's just concept art but very interesting that Grid-face (far right) has what looks like Yoda's lightsaber.

So I'm beginning to think that Rey's vision of the Knights may not have been a flashback at all and might even be the future. Luke had a similar vision in Empire. Maybe we're just being lead to believe that she saw the jedi academy slaughter?

They look like professional Jedi-killers.

I'm actually hoping the guys from The Raid were given the Kanjiklub roles as a bone to get some facetime in the movie because they'll be in full costume underneath some of the KoR for VIII and/or IX.

It's difficult to glean any information about the Knights of Ren from TFA, apart from Kylo Ren being their leader. I initially thought they were the student Jedi that Snoke turned to the dark side, but that doesn't explain their appearance in Rey's vision as they are surely too old to have been a part of the destruction of Luke's new academy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"