Let’s talk non-Batsuit costumes...

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
We’ve heard that Jacqueline Durran will be the costume designer for the film. Just looking at her filmography, her work is mostly on period pieces (most recently Little Women and 1917), so I’ll be curious to see how she adapts to a modern setting or whether the film will have a certain B89/BTAS timelessness.

Last edited:
I imagine we'll all be pretty satisfied, Catwoman is just black leather, Riddler is a Green suit, Gordon dresses like a detective, Penguin is another suit. The Batsuit is the only thing I expect to divide people

Oh, if there is one thing I’m sure of in life, it’s that folks are gonna have strong feelings about nearly each and every aspect of this thing.

No one is safe.

Gordon:

Bowler derby hat
Trench coat
Thick-rimmed glasses

I'd sure be up for a new timelessness bat film feel.

Not exactly what I want but here's some fun fanart to look at:

art-nerd-costumedessignbruceaynethebatmanartstation.jpg

theo-fiore-thebatmanalfredpennyworthcocneptartowkrserkisv3.jpg

art-nerd-gordonartstation.jpg

Honestly I don’t want a bunch of guys in suits. I want them to mix it up as much as they can.

Just throw Alfred in a tuxedo, or a nice vest and he'll look fine.

I know this is pretty subdued but id love this as the "basic" look for Riddler and then things could be added on top like glasses, cane, a jacet or whatever.

complexitiespng-0d2f82.png

It all depends on the vibe and overall theme for the movie. Can't say I'm crazy about that look for Gordon, though. He looks like a small town constable.

I am guessing we will see Gordon dressed similar to the Detective Summerset character in the movie Seven.

Some of Durran’s thoughts...

Let's go full on BTAS for Bruce:
1560868627171324-33.jpg

This is from Ralph Lauren's 2020 Collection. Granted the colours are a touch light, but I couldn't resist due to its resemblance to the classic BTAS look. Double breasted jackets are back in style in high end fashion, so why not go for more of the timeless look (within reason). I even think Nolan has Rob dressed in a double breasted suits in the Tenet trailer at some point if I recall correctly. It would be a nice contrast to Bale's relaxed Armani suits.

Penguin
I want Penguin in an ostentatiously tailored and luxury-material-derived suit. Like, it’s still black and white, but I’d want the silk of the jacket to shine. Give me a patterned vest that’s almost but not quite loud, and just enough gold rings and watches to look like Penguin’s trying to be royalty without quite tipping towards near-pirate-like gangster. Give him a winter jacket with a maddeningly luxurious fur collar.

Now, on the monocle front... I feel like something is needed to make sure it’s not just Colin Farrell in a nice suit, but monocle’s are so dang old school it would kind of need an explanation beyond style - so I’d have that eye be damaged and the socket around it scarred. Think something like he got stabbed similar to Arkham Penguin, but there’s no glass bottle stuck in there, just a messed up eye he’s embracing for his image with the monocle.

A thought I had a while back for how to do some storytelling with the character and make him look deformed without going full DeVito: Penguin’s got a ridiculous number of injuries accumulated across his life, that’s damaged his posture, mangled his hands, and gave him a permanent limp. Have his entire costume and demeanor shaped around trying to make that look like a strength.

Let's go full on BTAS for Bruce:
1560868627171324-33.jpg

This is from Ralph Lauren's 2020 Collection. Granted the colours are a touch light, but I couldn't resist due to its resemblance to the classic BTAS look. Double breasted jackets are back in style in high end fashion, so why not go for more of the timeless look (within reason). I even think Nolan has Rob dressed in a double breasted suits in the Tenet trailer at some point if I recall correctly. It would be a nice contrast to Bale's relaxed Armani suits.
I actually really like this.
I’d love to see that type of style for Bruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"