Let's clear up a few Aquaman misconceptions, shall we?

The Question

Objectivism doesn't work.
Reaction score
Looking around the hype, I see quite a few Aquaman misconceptions. This, for me, just doesn't fly. So, before the show starts, I think it would be best to clear up some of these misconceptions.

1) "Aquaman's powers are so lame. All he can do is breath underwater and talk to fish." Not true, my friends. While Aquaman can do both of those things, there is much more to his abilities than that. First of all, let's have a little lesson about the ocean.

At the very bottom of the ocean, the pressure is eight tons per square inch. Atlantis is at the vert bottom of the ocean. Meaning that everyday, every square inch of Aquaman's body is pushing against eight tons. His thumb alone pushes againts eight tons regularly. And he moves around and does things like normal people. He eats, he sleeps, he takes walks, he watched TV. All with eight tons of pressure per square inch pressing down on his body. And Aquaman is in great physical shape for an Atlantian. He was physically active practically from birth, giving him an amazing physique. In many ways, he is physically to regular Atlantians what Tarzan would be to humans.

With that much pressure bearing down on him, he posseses vast superhuman strength and speed on land. Now, he's not as strong as Wonder Woman or Superman, but he's most likely in the same League as them, and could probably hold his own in a fight againts them if he fought smart. And while nowhere near as fast as The Flash, he can probably run several hundred miles per hour on land. And, his reflexes are also superhumanly developed.

Here's something else about Aquaman. He's a mutant telepath. That's what makes him different from most Atlantians. Having grown up in and near the coean, he is used to talking to marine life. But he's hardly limited to marine life. He can sense the thoughts an imotions of humans aswell. He's also, through practise, learned how to manipulate the immotions of others to calm them down, and can give people painful psychic seizures, which gives him a serious edge in a fight. He's nowhere near Martian Manhunter's level, but he's still quite good.

2) "Aquaman is so lame. He just sits around the hall of justice and does nothing while the others go and kick ass." Again, not true. Aquaman is in fact a veteran of the League. He was a founding member, and was on the team before Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman ever were. Before they came along, he was the leader of the group in many ways. And today, amung the big seven, he's still considered to be the veteran of the group, and his descisions carry much weight in the League.

3) "Aquaman is a fruity little wuss." Not true at all, my friend. In many ways, he is actually one of the most badass members of the League. He's a skilled fighter and tactitian, and is not hesitant in using his skills and powers to lay the hurting down on some bad guys. And, unlike Batman, he's actually capable of inflicting physical harm upon League level threats. He's also been known to take on things that most people wouldn't. One time, J'onn was disguised as Superman. Aquaman, who was very angry at Superman at the time, then punched him and continued to yell at him about how he would be respected on the team, thinking that he was in fact punshing and yelling at Superman. He's hardly a wuss.

4) "Aquaman's villains are so stupid." Not true. While Aquaman doesn't have many villains, the ones he does have kick major ass.

First, you have Black Manta. Born an autistic savant, Black Manta was treated very poorly in the orphanige he grew up in. This, combines with the staff's limited knowlege of autism and inability to properly take care of him, filled him with much hate. Later, he became a test subject for a possible cure for autism. However, all they really did was pump him full of mental stimulants to see what would happen. It did make him much more lucid and cognitive, but combined with his past traumas, it also drove him completely insane. Now a drug lord and priate, he hides beneath the waves, coldly calculating his next move. He is one seriously ****ed up individual.

Then, you have Ocena Master. Aquaman's half brother who was extremely jelous if Aurthur. When Aquaman reclaimed the Atlantian throne, Ocean Master came to challange him. He was quickly defeated and sent into exile. He then began dabbling in both science and the ocult, eventually selling his soul to the demon Neron for vast sorcerous powers. Now a very powerful mage, he is hell bent on destroying his brother and claiming Atlantis as his own.

Of course, there's Koryak. Aquaman's iligitimate son. Posseses his father's mutant abilities. Wants to take the throne from his father. Not a particularly nice person.

The Shark. Basically, a mutated tiger shark with powrful psychic abilities. He's basically an underwater serial killer. His vast strength and psychic abilities make him a very real threat to anyone. However, his low inteligence makes him unable to use his psychic abilities to their fullest potential. But, he's still a sociopath who eats people and rapes their minds while doing it. So yeah.

First off I would like to appauld you on your efforts to enlighten the masses. Many Aquaman supporters would try and say that Aquaman is just as powerful as Superman and Wonder Woman and that's certainly not the case. But he is no slotch either. I think that many people have a stigma about Aquaman from the Superfriends cartoon. That really gave him a "Lame" label.

My only gripe is that I don't think Aquaman has any real superspeed. Wonder Woman possesses the speed of Hermes. For those that don't know he is the Messenger of the Gods and is superfast. Captain Marvel has the speed of Mercury who is the Roman version of Hermes, but for some reason in the comics Captain Marvel is shown as being superfast while Wonder Woman isn't. Technically I can see your point that Aquaman is fast but unless you can give me a few references, I'd have to disagree.

Wonder Woman has been shown to have super speed. And Aquaman has been shown to be super fast in the past. One example of this is when he dodged sniper fire and pushed a civilian out of the way all in an isntant. Sniper fire moves very fast, so....

Here are some examples of Aquaman feats. Thanks to Yenaled for posting them:

yenaled said:
I think these fit in nice here; All taken from an aquman respect thread. But I think people need the education...

Aquaman vs. Deathstroke

We all love a bit of Aquaman kicking ass.

Aquaman talking **** to who he thinks is Superman and hitting him

Aquamna lifting a city block

Telepathy on a human, claming down steel

Aquaman taking out power ring- notice showing strength and speed

Aquaman taking down a Superman-esque powerhouse an Olympian. He has the trident but it doesn't seem to matter.

Aquaman sensing sniper fire and dodging

Aquaman angry

Dodging and catching harpoons

Aquaman and Aqualad leeping a good 20 feet out of the water

Storming a military base - mentioning how quick he is on land. The fighting Superboy.

Aquaman vs. JLI

Aquaman using his telepathy on Polaris

Aquaman leaping out of water

Aquaman probing Martian Manhunters mind, unaided

The water hand transforming

Aquaman splitting a tidal wave in half

The water hand detaching and being controlled

The water hand healing

I hope he seems "more defined" now.

Thank You very much though I doubt this show will show just how good Aquaman is. Instead I have a feeling the reason for the new Aquaman is so A.C. can come to the comics.

A. C. Stands for Aurthur Curry..Aquamans name

I think Tony Montana's talkin' bout DCs revamp of Aquaman in the comics. He may be right, it just might coincide w/ Mercy Reef. Only time will tell.

I know I mean A.C. like the one from SV his acting and all going into the comics now.

Do you honestly think that would happen?

good job question, admittedly im not the most versed on Aquaman, so i appreciate your efforts.

Can see the logic in your post Question, but not everyone see's Aquaman as lame

Was that addressed at me?

The Question said:
Do you honestly think that would happen?
Did you ever think Catwoman the movie would have happened? Did you think Sins of the past would have happened? Did you think Spider-Man would have claws?:confused::(

black Manta is one of the most badass villains ever. just watch the JLU Dead Reckoning...

I wish I knew more about Aquaman so I could be more satisfied with this thread. I've always respected him, though. Always wished he'd be done justice on screen.

The Question said:
Looking around the hype, I see quite a few Aquaman misconceptions. This, for me, just doesn't fly. So, before the show starts, I think it would be best to clear up some of these misconceptions.

1) "Aquaman's powers are so lame. All he can do is breath underwater and talk to fish." Not true, my friends. While Aquaman can do both of those things, there is much more to his abilities than that. First of all, let's have a little lesson about the ocean.

At the very bottom of the ocean, the pressure is eight tons per square inch. Atlantis is at the vert bottom of the ocean. Meaning that everyday, every square inch of Aquaman's body is pushing against eight tons. His thumb alone pushes againts eight tons regularly. And he moves around and does things like normal people. He eats, he sleeps, he takes walks, he watched TV. All with eight tons of pressure per square inch pressing down on his body. And Aquaman is in great physical shape for an Atlantian. He was physically active practically from birth, giving him an amazing physique. In many ways, he is physically to regular Atlantians what Tarzan would be to humans.

With that much pressure bearing down on him, he posseses vast superhuman strength and speed on land. Now, he's not as strong as Wonder Woman or Superman, but he's most likely in the same League as them, and could probably hold his own in a fight againts them if he fought smart. And while nowhere near as fast as The Flash, he can probably run several hundred miles per hour on land. And, his reflexes are also superhumanly developed.

Here's something else about Aquaman. He's a mutant telepath. That's what makes him different from most Atlantians. Having grown up in and near the coean, he is used to talking to marine life. But he's hardly limited to marine life. He can sense the thoughts an imotions of humans aswell. He's also, through practise, learned how to manipulate the immotions of others to calm them down, and can give people painful psychic seizures, which gives him a serious edge in a fight. He's nowhere near Martian Manhunter's level, but he's still quite good.

2) "Aquaman is so lame. He just sits around the hall of justice and does nothing while the others go and kick ass." Again, not true. Aquaman is in fact a veteran of the League. He was a founding member, and was on the team before Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman ever were. Before they came along, he was the leader of the group in many ways. And today, amung the big seven, he's still considered to be the veteran of the group, and his descisions carry much weight in the League.

3) "Aquaman is a fruity little wuss." Not true at all, my friend. In many ways, he is actually one of the most badass members of the League. He's a skilled fighter and tactitian, and is not hesitant in using his skills and powers to lay the hurting down on some bad guys. And, unlike Batman, he's actually capable of inflicting physical harm upon League level threats. He's also been known to take on things that most people wouldn't. One time, J'onn was disguised as Superman. Aquaman, who was very angry at Superman at the time, then punched him and continued to yell at him about how he would be respected on the team, thinking that he was in fact punshing and yelling at Superman. He's hardly a wuss.

4) "Aquaman's villains are so stupid." Not true. While Aquaman doesn't have many villains, the ones he does have kick major ass.

First, you have Black Manta. Born an autistic savant, Black Manta was treated very poorly in the orphanige he grew up in. This, combines with the staff's limited knowlege of autism and inability to properly take care of him, filled him with much hate. Later, he became a test subject for a possible cure for autism. However, all they really did was pump him full of mental stimulants to see what would happen. It did make him much more lucid and cognitive, but combined with his past traumas, it also drove him completely insane. Now a drug lord and priate, he hides beneath the waves, coldly calculating his next move. He is one seriously ****ed up individual.

Then, you have Ocena Master. Aquaman's half brother who was extremely jelous if Aurthur. When Aquaman reclaimed the Atlantian throne, Ocean Master came to challange him. He was quickly defeated and sent into exile. He then began dabbling in both science and the ocult, eventually selling his soul to the demon Neron for vast sorcerous powers. Now a very powerful mage, he is hell bent on destroying his brother and claiming Atlantis as his own.

Of course, there's Koryak. Aquaman's iligitimate son. Posseses his father's mutant abilities. Wants to take the throne from his father. Not a particularly nice person.

The Shark. Basically, a mutated tiger shark with powrful psychic abilities. He's basically an underwater serial killer. His vast strength and psychic abilities make him a very real threat to anyone. However, his low inteligence makes him unable to use his psychic abilities to their fullest potential. But, he's still a sociopath who eats people and rapes their minds while doing it. So yeah.

Thanks. I constantly forget about Aquaman's other abilities.

The Question said:

I want to make that post my sig. :(

Ok, so Aquaman isn't quite as lame as I always thought, but will these abilities make a compelling show?

amazingfantasy15 said:
Ok, so Aquaman isn't quite as lame as I always thought, but will these abilities make a compelling show?

Possibly. If they play their cards right, the show could be a political sci-fi/fantasy epic. But then, they might not play their cards right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"