• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lets make the perfect Comedy Sitcom!

TheVelvetOnion

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ok if you were given a show doesnt matter what the show is but you had to cast it with Comedic TV/Movie actors/actresses who would you pick?

I would love to see a new family based comedic that isnt a drama/comedy... just purely comedic bases it works well in the uk... but i think the US could do with a family show... think family guy or simpsons, but without the cut scenes and live action.

My cast would include

Mathew Perry as Dad
Cheryl Hines as Mum
Drake Bell as Son
Ashley Tisdale as Daughter

Think that would a brilliant comedic combo for a light family comedy sitcom

Has there ever been a sitcom set in a prison (a real prison, not Hogan's Heroes) or a halfway house? I think those are the only two premises left untouched.

Has there ever been a sitcom set in a prison (a real prison, not Hogan's Heroes) or a halfway house? I think those are the only two premises left untouched.

Been done. About twenty-one years ago (1988) FOX did a show called Women in Prison. Ran about half a season. Starred a bunch of No-namers and a young CCH Pounder. I remember watching it when I was a high school freshman.

Man I am so old.

Been done. About twenty-one years ago (1988) FOX did a show called Women in Prison. Ran about half a season. Starred a bunch of No-namers and a young CCH Pounder. I remember watching it when I was a high school freshman.

Man I am so old.

LOL Geez, and I thought I was being ironic. That must have been during Fox's What the F were they thinking phase, a la Hermans Head and Good Grief.

I always thought it would be interesting to see a sitcom about a female therapist with all kinds of flaws (OCD etc) who has to deal with bizarre patients, then I was informed by my lecturer at college that that's basically Frasier with a vagina. :(

Comedy Central ran a season of a show called "Halfway Home."

As for comedy in prison, I thought up a show idea called "Prison B***h." Basically, it would be a parody of teen dramas (the Hills, Gossip Girl, 90210) set in an all male prison.

I just like the title of this thread: Let's make the perfect comedy sitcom... where the original poster doesn't seem to realize that comedy in implicitly implied in the word sitcom, or Situation Comedy.

A family is accidentally turned into Zombies when a strange experimental chemical is spilt or sprayed on them during a family outing. Despite their undead status they still go about their everyday lives & that is were the real comedy ensues.

Arrested Development wasn't a sitcom.

It was an EPIC.

Both are correct.

Oh, also the original poster's idea sounds horrible. Matthew Perry isn't funny and casting Nick/Disney actors sounds like a terrible idea, let them get a few real acting gigs under their belts first beyond horrible overacted "comedies" aimed at 5-10 year olds.

Last edited:
A comedy set in a prision would be bad in these days, you may get off with saying the off the cuff remark but we live in a way to senstive world at the moment...

Its true that all areas have been covered and its difficult to find new and exciting things... But personally i feel that although all areas were covered i feel that only some where covered and made into a perfect tv show...

Arrested Development was brilliant - and although it only lasted 3 series i think it would work well as a British Import... Because a British Version of Arrested Development especially with the current financle situation the world is facing at the moment it would just work.

Trailer Park Boys - it was perfect! alot of people misunderstood what the show was doing and alot of people hated it because they thought it was just idiotic but it was genius you just had to look at it at there perspective and Bam it works.

Seinfield - bridged the gap with small talk and daily humour... from this spawned the success of shows like Friends, and any sitcom simular to that

Curb you enthusiaum - brilliant crafted but documentary spoof - opened a whole new way of making tv shows... just look at Extra's?

Red Dwarf - as far as im aware the only BEST space comedy...

Saying that i have an idea for a space comedy that is truelly unique but i will save that for now.

My favourite sitcom was, is, and always be.. Seinfeld

Even with the kyklos fanboy aboard..

So, that's my perfect sitcom, heh :hehe:

Red Dwarf - as far as im aware the only BEST space comedy...

Saying that i have an idea for a space comedy that is truelly unique but i will save that for now.

The guys from "it's always sunny in etc." is doing a new space comedy for fox called "Boldly going nowhere".

I had an idea for a hobo sitcom.

Perfect sitcom? It's called Peep Show.

I've always thought about writing a sitcom set in a shop or a shopping centre based on all the quirky characters and idiotic people/questions I've come across from working in a shop myself.

How about a sitcom featuring puppets (or actors in suits) that imagines the puppet characters are real and they use to have a big kids show in the 80's but now they're a bit washed up and they all live in the same flat and have crap jobs and stuff...

I never watched it, but that sounds like "greg the bunny."

Nothing beats the classics- I love Lucy ant the original 39 Honeymooners. Over 50 years later it STILL has me laughing.

As for a prison sitcom, it's a tough concept to work with. There's no mobility; something important for sitcoms and the medium of film. Outside of the yard, commissary, cafeteria and the work areas you don't have much room for stories or storylines. Plus there's not much to laugh at. Shankings, shower rapes and drop the soap jokes get stale real fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"