Liev Schreiber Speaks

narrows101

Reaction score
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=62675

Wolverine's Schreiber Is Feral

Liev Schreiber, who plays Victor Creed aka Sabretooth in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, told a group of reporters that Sabretooth is the most brutal character he has ever played. Schreiber takes over the role played by Tyler Mane in X-Men in a prequel tracing the early days of Logan/Wolverine (Hugh Jackman).

"I found it to be really intense," Schreiber said in a group interview on Dec. 7 in Beverly Hills, Calif., where he was promoting Defiance. "The character I play is incredibly brutal and feral and has a bloodlust unlike any other character I've ever played. This guy is a real killer."

Sabretooth faces off with Wolverine many times in the prequel film. Schreiber described choreographing the film's action sequences with Jackman.

"Just to do [a] fight scene with Hugh was really terrific because as a dancer, he has that kind of discipline and choreography," Schreiber said. "I always studied to be a fight choreographer and wanted to be a dancer, too, but didn't quite have the feet for it. We have some remarkable fight scenes together, and I'm looking forward to people seeing those."

As a fan of the comic books, Schreiber vouched for the upcoming film's interpretation. "I was a fan of the comic books," he said. "I just loved the character of Wolverine. I always have. That sort of deeply ironic and very urban sensibility on a superhero was something that I thought was really groundbreaking, the style of writing, particularly the very sort of editorial style. I just always loved it, and I think that we were able to capture some of that darkness in this movie, so I'm very proud."

Even more from Liev:

http://screencrave.com/2008-12-08/interview-liev-schreiber-talks-about-wolverine-footage-and-more/

INTERVIEW: Liev Schreiber Talks about Wolverine Footage and MORE
Monday, December 8, 2008 8:01AM - By Mali

This weekend, ScreenCrave sat down with Liev Schreiber to talk about his upcoming role in Defiance, (full interview to come) and was lucky enough to grab some info about his role as Sabertooth in the upcoming Hugh Jackman movie, Wolverine.

Liev knew that even though some fans were reluctant about him playing Sabertooth, he was confident that he could stand toe to toe with Jackman. Below he talks about his research, reading the comics, taking on the role, and even some new footage that he’s seen. Check it out…

Do you find it fun being an action guy?
Yeah! What’s the fun? Haven’t you ever played cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians? I don’t think men really grow pass 22 intellectually. Physically we just get older and we’re less capable of doing the things you want to do, but you never stop wanting to do them.
How much fun was Wolverine for you?
Insanely fun. I felt very self conscious originally because I knew the fans didn’t like the idea of me playing Sabertooth?
Really?
I think I’m perceived as a kind of urbane, New Yorker. Maybe I’ve done too many movies with Jewish characters or something. They’re like “It’s like Woody Allen playing Sabertooh.” And I’m like no actually it’s not. I’m 6′3” I’m bigger than Hugh Jackman, I can do this.
Could you take him?
I could take him yeah. No I really can! In fact I do! But the reality is, since I’ve known him and I’ve known him a long time, Hugh has become this colossal man. He’s huge! Just muscles everywhere and I have to play this guy who whoops his ass. So, as soon as I finished Defiance, I began this kind of four month training period of weight lifting, this kind of genocide of chickens phase of my life where I just got bigger and bigger and bigger and it was awful, but amazing and fun. Then when I finally got there and got to choreograph the fights with Hugh and get on the wire and do the work, it’s not just that it was fun, I saw some of the footage, and it’s pretty cool.
You’re listed as two different characters in the film Victor Creed and Sabertooth what is that about?
[Evil Laugh] Victor Creed is Sabertooth. I just wanted everyone to know I got a name.
Did you read the comics?
Oh I read the comics before I got offered the part. I knew the character really well. Initially I had been asked to play Striker, and I asked, “do you think there is any way I could play this Victor Creed guy?”

The research that I did, Victor’s particular mutant issue, has nothing to do with his name “Sabertooth” but that’s where I decided to start. What is Sabertooth. How do they move? What are their behavioral characteristics? And I knew this stuff from the comic. I knew that he was a completely savage street fighter and that, that was his MO. But, what I hadn’t seen in some of the earlier films that I was interested in trying to pursue. Is what drives the guy, and instead of saying this guy is just a violent brute, what is the cocktail that makes the brute tick. Hopefully people will like it.

Man you should of just put those in the Liev Schreiber/Sabretooth thread. If you keep creating a thread everytime a cast member speaks or else, then we'll be up to our buts in threads...

Man you should of just put those in the Liev Schreiber/Sabretooth thread. If you keep creating a thread everytime a cast member speaks or else, then we'll be up to our buts in threads...

I would personally prefer to have them posted in their own individual threads so I don't have to sift through hundreds of pages of speculation, bs, and off topic dribble to get to the information I want.

You cannot effectively have conversation or provide information in those "Official xxxx Discussion" threads. They are counter productive, and honestly, the worst idea in the history of internet message boards.

Interesting. Schreiber was initially offered the role of Stryker but asked to play Sabretooth instead.

I think the guy is going to do a good job, that evil smile at the end of the trailer was pure Sabretooth.

I don't remember much fan backlash to his casting though.

There were a bunch of people compaining he wasn't Tyler Mane or some 7-foot tall wrestler.

I more excited about his Sabretooth than any other aspect of the film. You can keep Gambit and Deadpool.

I know Sabretooth is supposed to be a lot bigger than Wolverine but having them so well-matched is a more interesting dynamic. I assume he represents what Wolverine could be.

I would personally prefer to have them posted in their own individual threads so I don't have to sift through hundreds of pages of speculation, bs, and off topic dribble to get to the information I want.

You cannot effectively have conversation or provide information in those "Official xxxx Discussion" threads. They are counter productive, and honestly, the worst idea in the history of internet message boards.

Now that's rought.

Interesting. Schreiber was initially offered the role of Stryker but asked to play Sabretooth instead.

I'm glad he asked, because I like him as Creed and Danny Huston as Stryker. :up:

Wow, great interview! It's great to know Schreiber was familiar with Sabertooth and Wolverine, etc, even before he got the part. :up:

Sounds awesome.

This Friday..

Everything will change.

-TNC

Yea, things will be out everywhere.

So the trailer on Friday, is it the Comic-Con trailer, or a new one?

Good question. I'm sure it will be a lot of the Comic-Con stuff with some different stuff. But even if it's the same, it will be 100% clear and have special effects.

Good question. I'm sure it will be a lot of the Comic-Con stuff with some different stuff. But even if it's the same, it will be 100% clear and have special effects.

I won't mind it being the comic-con trailer in the least bit. It's a great trailer, and I'd love to finally be able to download it and watch it in high quality.

Exactly. Plus with the Gambit effects. :woot:

[FONT=&quot]Gambit effects are the only thing I’m looking forward to in the trailer :word: And Schreiber saying he wanted to be a dancer brings up a disturbing yet amusing image of Wolverine and Sabertooth dancing together :shock [/FONT]

why not address the fact that sabretooth looks decidedly un-sabretoothy? no big hulking brutish appearance...no dirty blonde hair

why not address the fact that sabretooth looks decidedly un-sabretoothy? no big hulking brutish appearance...no dirty blonde hair

Because we have already long ago.

After reading that I think I am looking forward to his take on Sabretooth.

Never took interest interest in this character in particular but I never doubted he could portray him the right way. He's too good of an actor to mess it up.

Good interview.:up:

What i've seen so far of his portrayal looks good besides some gripes about his appearance.
Yeah, Variety announced him as 'in talks' for Stryker last year. Huston seems like a much better fit for that role so i'm okay with the switch.

Though I am still disappointed by Schreiber's look in the film(he really didn't look like he packed on any muscle), I think he will win me over in his portrayal of Sabretooth.

Those snippets of him in the Comic-con footage was great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"