World Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Dark Guardian

Guardian of Gotham
Reaction score
This is here, mostly for discussion, but also in case anyone has some nice pics of Dean Cain as Superman, I'm kinda putting together a poster for a friend and he liked Dean Cain's portrayal.

What did you think of the series?
Was it serious enough, or was the kind of lower key Superman good enough?
Was it too much of a soap opera?

Personally, even though it did do alot of soap operaish stuff, it had some very good storylines and I loved John Shea as Lex.
Dean Cain portrayed a good Clark as well as Superman, something that I think is hard to do, especially in a TV series.

So, opinions and Pics, put em here.

It started o.k. got better and ended horrible but all togther is was not bad.

i loved it as a kid but ive been watching it again on ITV2 but its too smoltzy and i hate terri hatcher as lois. everything she says comes out like 'well this in an inconvenience". i liked dean cain though

I used to love it as a kid...but lookin back it's pretty campy, and was a lot of lost potential

Season's 1 and 2 are the best live action adaptation of Superman hands down. Even though the sfx were poor it had the best writing, acting and most importantly it nailed the characters of Clark/Superman, Lois, Lex, Perry, The Kents and Jimmy perfectly.

As with most things it had it's ups and downs...but mostly positives IMO.

The Good:
The best Perry White ever.

The best/hottest Lois Lane ever.

The best Clark Kent (not Superman though, but Cain was a fantastic Clark, more personable, less geeky...)

Maybe not THE best, but a wonderful Lex Luthor...portrayed as he should have been (Shea had more to work with before the opening credits of "Seconds" that Spacey had in all of SR.)

And it gave us the only version of Superman outside of the comics, that featured an actual relationship between Lois and Clark.

The bad:
Cain's appearance as Superman. It was missing some crucial aspects...there was no curl in the hair, the back "S" really needed to be outlined, and the belt should have been a shiney oval instead of a dull rectangle.

There were quite a few cheesy moments (The worst is the guy getting knocked unconscious after a VERY slight trip over a short dude) and some melodramatic villians.

Some of the end storylines were not very strong at all.

But the very worst part is that the show ended on a cliffhanger, and then was cancelled. (added to the fact that that last episode wasn't very good...shame)

But overall, I love the show. :up:

Much better than smallville, although the later series became rather silly, after Lois found out, it only lasted a series before getting farcicle! One of the better superhero shows though!

no where near as good as smallville!

The show was 90s garbage, probably the worst Superman portrayal on TV.

While season 1 was decent, the show just turned into a really bad, cheesy romance novel fast.

Cain played Superman and Clark exactly the same; stupidness.

horrible suit... very Alex Ross influenced.

pwl4life said:

The problem is, Cain looks a lot more Superman-esque without his hair gelled back. He was superb as Clark, but I've never been able to believe him as Superman because a) he didn't have the presence or charisma required and b) the special effects were usually weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
kakarot069 said:
horrible suit... very Alex Ross influenced.

not sure how you figure that given Ross didn't really start doing DC work until around '96.

Thanks pwl4life I was surprised how few images of him I could find as Superman. I'll post the poster when I'm finished.

I love this show. I have seasons one through three. Season four just hit DVD. I'll pick that up soon.

Dope Nose said:
not sure how you figure that given Ross didn't really start doing DC work until around '96.
that may be, but there is no doubt that this was probably the influence for Alex Ross... it's so painfully obvious.

My opinion??

Overall a wonderful series. One of my favorites ever.

Some of the stories were awful but some were brilliant, esp the first 2 years as some here have commented.But it is far better than Smallville. Someone once said Smallville is like Dawsons Creek with a Clark kent added. I agree. L&C very rarely rewrote Superman history that's been with us for 70 some years like Smallville does.

Dean made a wonderfully well-rounded and believeable Clark. I loved that he had his parents for strength and advice. Good characterization is more important to me than brillaint special effects. (In SR you got all the special effects you could want but the story lacked.)

in L&C, Lois was the prettiest ever!! In comics she was always so pretty, esp in the late 60s and 70s. And Teri hatcher captured her look.

Great updated Perry. I never liked either of the Jimmys. I still feel jack larson best captured Jimmy with Marc McClure second.

There is good and bad to everything Superman ever filmed. But I think this series gets a bad rap.

EL
chrisgc.jpg

Once a girl's seen Superman in action, Niagara Falls kinda leaves you cold.

ReeveFan1978 said:
My opinion??

Overall a wonderful series. One of my favorites ever.

Some of the stories were awful but some were brilliant, esp the first 2 years as some here have commented.But it is far better than Smallville. Someone once said Smallville is like Dawsons Creek with a Clark kent added. I agree. L&C very rarely rewrote Superman history that's been with us for 70 some years like Smallville does.

Dean made a wonderfully well-rounded and believeable Clark. I loved that he had his parents for strength and advice. Good characterization is more important to me than brillaint special effects. (In SR you got all the special effects you could want but the story lacked.)

in L&C, Lois was the prettiest ever!! In comics she was always so pretty, esp in the late 60s and 70s. And Teri hatcher captured her look.

Great updated Perry. I never liked either of the Jimmys. I still feel jack larson best captured Jimmy with Marc McClure second.

There is good and bad to everything Superman ever filmed. But I think this series gets a bad rap.

EL
chrisgc.jpg

Once a girl's seen Superman in action, Niagara Falls kinda leaves you cold.

I whole heartedly agree. This series gets overly bashed. It's kinda like Mallrats, not perfect compared to everything else we've seen, but is really enjoyable if you give it a chance

I truly love LnC. That show brought me back to Superman, and I loved the chemistry between Hatcher and Cain.

Cain was a great Clark, and a hot looking Superman!

I, of course, do not care for the fourth season. I felt it should have went in a different direction, but that fourth season doesn't negate my general love for the show.

Dang good show. Dean really looks like a classic Superman pic brought to life. Or a pic from New Frontier by Cook.

I love Hatcher as Lois, and I just love her period, even today as she has grown a bit older, she still looks damn good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I aggree with you wholehearted ReeveFan.

Dean Cain to me just embodied alot of what Superman was, and he really did great kind of moving into new territory with Clark's personality.
And IMO, John Shea did the very best job as Lex ever.
I am a writer as well, and he was a huge influence on one of my villians, just because I wasn't quite sure how to do a sneaky villian, and then I watched Season 1 over again and MAN did that clear things up.
He was just really great at being suave, elegant and then totally maniacal and backstabbing.
The last two episodes of Season 1 really brought out all his effort, it really was a satisfying season finale.
I really can't wait to buy Season 1, I didn't see much of Season 2, so I'll try and preview it before I buy.
The only problem I can see is that they changed Jimmy Olsen mid-show.
I really got to like Michael Landes in the role all the way through Season 1, and now I hear Season 2 they have somebody completely different...
Grrr...

Overall, this show, even to someone like me, a Hardcore Batman fan, is just TV gold. Its one of those shows that stayed faithful to the comics, it bent the rules a little, but it definied Superman in new ways. Just from the entertainment aspect as a show, it always had good plots and well rounded characters. Add to the fact that its a Superman show that managed to not get everyone sick of Clark for awhile, it really wins everywhere.

Anyways, man there is a real shortage of pics for this series. Which is odd considering it ran in the 90's and was pretty darn popular during that time. Where are all the stock photos?!?!

I always took the show as being more about Lois and Clark, rather than Superman. I also think the stories are kinda shown thru Lois' eyes rather than how they really would be seen. I mean to me when you see Superman it's almost like a day dream I guess you could say. And if they didn't mean for it to be like that then I think they were blessed with an unseen view point. I hope thats understandable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"